[Adventrue] Lord Ogglebottoms Odd Tasks II: The Mysterious Imlach Island

Tomalak

First Post
Minharath speaks softly, "As odd as it may seem to bring our charge into a hazardous situation, I cannot see leaving him behind. And sending Leonidus to us would leave Lord Ogglebottom open to attack. I believe we should bring the boy, although I do wish we had another healer."

RedBeardJim

First Post
Gellan crosses his arms. "At very least, we should talk to these elders and find out more information. To have trouble at our destination like this seems too much like a coincidence."

Banesfinger

Explorer
Thorn snarls his teeth to show his displeasure of the situation. But he does not speak a word about the matter - because secretly he'd be very happy to be outdoors (even in a swamp) again and in a good 'old, stand-up fight.

DMDanW

First Post
Gloom stares at Leonard. "Your father is ready to hire us and take advantage of his portal network to prevent some abductor to take you from him, but he wouldn't mind to have you go after some lizardfolks and risk your life to save your uncle... strange logic.

If we stay here, it is easy to prepare ourselves to most type of assault those abductor could do... if they show up, which is unlikely if no one is aware you are here.

Now, you want to go out, make sure everyone here have a chance to learn you are here, then go into hostile and unknown territory, against an unknown number of enemy of unknown power and risk all our lives to save a single life. That's reckless and foolish and you must have a dire need to die. And we are not even paid for that kind of job.

That's sounds like a job just fitting me!"

Leonard just stands looking confused while Gloom begins lecturing him, his eyes beginning to glaze over as he prepares for the worst. He gives his head a shake though finally realizing that Gloom wants to go look for his uncle. He looks like he is just about to speak when Gloom continues on..

He then asks to Sedwick. "What do you know about those lizardfolks? Form their number and strength to their culture and territory."

"What do I know?" the dwarf replies. "Well them stinkin lizards were 'ere long 'efore ol' cap'in Imlach founded this 'ere town a 'undred years ago that's fer sure. They live down in the swamps 'etween the two hills an' hell if I know how many o' those bastards there are - too many fer my likin. They live in the darned mud and eat bug fer all I know" and he turns and spits on the floor.

Martelai speaks to the Leonard as youth get too excited about going out of safety.
"WE need to go and speak with the elders. Sedwick can introduce us as agents sent to help Lord's brother. YOU, on the other hand are STAYING hidden and safe. I don't think we are to protect you in the middle of the swamp."

Leonard is visibly disappointed at being told he will not be going to look for his uncle, his shoulders slumping and bottom lip sticking out as he pouts. He is just about to speak when Martelai turns to the dwarf and continues speaking. He walks over to a sofa on the far wall and sits down, deciding to let the PC's do the talking as they are in charge of his well-being.

Turning to the dwarf
"And Lord Ogglebottom should be informed about our departure if that happens so he sends at least Leonidas as additional support here."

Then, as he considers something, he gets a bit more excited. As he questions Sedwick he fingers something that looks like the leg of huge bug on his belt.

"Was there problems with lizards before? Or did it start suddenly? I mean, did they change their behavior recently? With individuals running amok or behaving all docile like without normal reactions to stimuli."

"Well I 'uppose we can send a message an' see what 'appens" Sedwick replies to Martelai first question. As the questions continue the dwarf eyebrows begin to scrunch together and his nostrils flare a little. "Problems?" he replies a little flustered. "They're filthy stupid lizards that's the problem as far as I'm concerned. 'ell they went an' started killin ol' john Mcrea's sheep the ot'er week." The dwarf continues to mutter about stupid lizards and just shakes his head seeming to get angry just thinking about them.

[sblock=Insight DC 15]
It is obvious that Sedwick does not like the indigenous Lizard-folk and is a bit of a bigot.
[/sblock]

Minharath speaks softly, "As odd as it may seem to bring our charge into a hazardous situation, I cannot see leaving him behind. And sending Leonidus to us would leave Lord Ogglebottom open to attack. I believe we should bring the boy, although I do wish we had another healer."

"Ack, he'll be safe 'ere doun't ye worry. Master Thoms got 'imself a safe an secure home don't ye doubt." the dwarf counters, seeming slightly insulted at the thought that Leonard would not be safe if left here. "The towns well fortified and ain't no one unwanted gettin in that's fer sure".

Gellan crosses his arms. "At very least, we should talk to these elders and find out more information. To have trouble at our destination like this seems too much like a coincidence."

"Alright then, I'll take ye ta see the elders then. They can tell ye more anyhow" grumbles the dwarf. "So we bringin Leonard 'ere or should I get a room set up fer 'im first?" Sedwick asks looking between Minharath and the others.

[sblock=OOC]
He all - sorry for the short post - I'm back from vacation now and finding a huge pile of work that has grown on my desk during my absence. I'll try and get more up tonight if I can - The town elders are waiting to talk to you..
[/sblock]

Banesfinger

Explorer
"Ack, he'll be safe 'ere doun't ye worry. Master Thoms got 'imself a safe an secure home don't ye doubt." the dwarf counters, seeming slightly insulted at the thought that Leonard would not be safe if left here. "The towns well fortified and ain't no one unwanted gettin in that's fer sure".

Thorn snarls under his breath, "Grrrr, damned if we do and damned if we don't. Ogglebottom is paying us to watch the kid so we can't leave him alone, but he's also paying us to keep him safe so we can't take him into danger...grrrrrrrrr"

Thorn glances quickly at each one of his companions. "Normally I wouldn't suggest splitting the group up, but in this case it might be wise for a few of us to watch the boy, while the others visit the elders and investigate the lizardfolk."

DMDanW

First Post
Zharne grins at the dwarf and asks, "Lizardfolk, you'd say and what did you do to provoke them to respond like that if I may ask?"

"I ain't done nuttin' to them. If anythin' they should be grateful ta us. Ever since we began tradin' wit 'em they gots more now than ever 'efore" the dwarf grumbles in response. "I've gots nothin' left ta say on the matter, now lets get ye off to the elders". He doesn't add anything further and you can tell by his demeanor that he is done talking about the situation.

[sblock=Skill Check Results]
[sblock=Insight DC 15+]
Insight = The dwarf is prejudiced against the lizardfolk.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Nature 25+]
Nature = Lizardfolk favor humid climates and dwell in marshes, swamps and jungles. Lizardfolk occasionally trade with humanoids they trust (usually halflings), bartering for finished goods. However tribes that prey on other humanoids generally don't engage in any kind of trade.

Lizardfolk hatch from eggs and grow quickly to adulthood; by 2 years of age they are fully grown. A tribe maintains a communal incubator in which all the tribes eggs are sealed together. Young lizardfolk are raised together by the whole tribe. Parental relationships do not exists among lizardfolk.

They have a patriarchal society in which the most powerful member rules the others as chieftain. Shamans and mystics commonly advise the chieftain.

Lizardfolk do not worship gods, but large tribes often elevate one of their own to the status of a living deity. This figure becomes the tribes lizard king. A lizard king usually possesses unusual strength, ferocity and cleverness and might be tainted by primordial or demonic influences. Powerful reptilian creatures such as dragons sometimes usurp this role and command a tribes loyalty.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception DC 20+]
Perception = The structure of the warehouse and the dwarfs office appear very very old, perhaps refitted from ancient ruins to serve the current purpose. You notice a framed map on the wall behind the desk, titeled Imlach Island. It seems that the island is made up of two larger land masses separated by swampland between them. A marking labeled Imlach Village appears on the southern portion of the Island. There are also various markings out in the surrounding waters indicating fishing locations, potential hazards and other such notes.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

......in this case it might be wise for a few of us to watch the boy, while the others visit the elders and investigate the lizardfolk."
"Leonard, what do you think of that?"

Leonard springs up from the sofa and approaches Thorn and Gloom. "There will be no need to split up or assign someone as my babysitter. I am not a child, as you recently pointed out, and can handle myself just fine. I am coming with you. I may not be a mighty 'adventurer as yourselves, but neither will I be a burden to you. And like shaggy there pointed out.." gesturing towards Thorn, "..you're dammed if you do, dammed if you don't, so let's just do and get on with it. Sedwick, it is time to introduce us to the village elders". Leonard puffs out his chest and begins to make his way from the room, turning at the door and waiting for everyone else to follow.

RedBeardJim

First Post
Gellan watches the boy in silence, then lets out a short laugh. "Well spoken, young one. It is good to see your father has not squashed you totally, you will need that spirit to follow him in his work. However -- be aware that we *do* know what we are doing, far more than you do. If you are coming with us, you are accepting our knowledge. If you are told to do something by one of us, do you that thing, without complaint or delay. Your life may depend on it."

[sblock=ooc]Skill checks not linked out of sheer badness. *kicks IC*[/sblock]

Remove ads