2e retro clone?

Vengers_Dad

First Post
Heard word leaked of this: Somehow, You Found Us Before We Opened Shop :)

Apparently, they were planning to surprise us 2E players with a clone on July 15th. The site is still new. (Actually, they don't slate it as a clone, they call it a remake.)

It actually looks very good from what I saw and read (I want more info, though) and it seems commercial and serious. The cover is just breathtaking.

I don't post here, but saw this and read a bunch about people asking whether one was coming out. I'm in, so I figured I would post.

nexgen

First Post
Hello

Hi,

I actually wrote the game. We caught wind at the forum that someone put this up. (The poster is thanked, but has nothing to do with us or the project.)

We'll draft up a full press release now. It was our intent to do one soon anyway. This sort of lit the fire under us, so to speak.

Go over to the forums at Somehow, You Found Us Before We Opened Shop :). I'm an admin and trying hard to get things right. Whatever your take is on the Second Edition, know that we poured a lot into this. We treasured that game and we hope we did it justice.

BTW: it's not a clone ;)

Vengers_Dad

First Post
You're welcome. Hope it didn't blow things up.
I'm looking forward to this, signed up at the forums.
I played AD&D 2E for six years before 3E and I waited for this sort of thing.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Why are you waiting for this sort of thing? Did the 2e books stop working?
My guess is that he's hoping the new game corrects some of the things he didn't like, sticks in some things he does like and comes in a nice shiny new book.

Though there are only a couple of "development" posts there, I like how the did up their version of THAC0 and a couple of other bits. This doesn't appear to be a strict clone or remake, but 2e with some tweaks and slight rules changes.

It's not enough to bring me over from C&C (the only RPG I get to play recently and even that is sporadically), but interesting.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm glad someone is doing a 2E retro-clone (or remake, or whatever the proper term is) but I worry about how viable this will be.

For one thing, I was under the impression that old-school gamers - the ones who'd be likely to want a retro-clone - didn't want the mistakes or rough spots smoothed over. They want to play the game as it is, faults included, because that's how they remember it; moreover, that lets it be used with existing old-school materials without any sort of converting necessary.

Also, I was a great fan of Second Edition, but what did it for me wasn't the rules, but the various campaign settings. I loved Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc., and those can't be reproduced by a retro-clone. For me, the 2E rules alone aren't enough reason to go back.

I'll be rooting for New Haven Games's success with this, but I don't see myself playing their game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases