Finding online gaming groups for DnD 4.0

Palacer

First Post
Hey guys, newly recruited addict to DnD 4.0 here.

I wanted to know if anyone had some good resources to find other online DnD 4.0 gaming groups. I currently play with 1 group where we use tinychat to talk online and gametable to play virtually and I'm looking for another group to join and kill some baddies with.

Any info is welcome.

Pour

First Post
I've recruited for my online games on various message boards. Most have a recruiting section, even ones designated for online games. I met with success on the Wizards forum that way and ended up with a good player.

I also asked my existing online players, who I met through various online games I joined and writing forums, if they knew anyone. That usually nets a few more players, though if you don't know them and their personalities, you run the risk of including someone you later have to kick or who leaves on their own. But that is inevitable in just about every long game, whether from varying play styles, conflicting schedules, or incompatibility. Don't get discouraged! And if you're more of a mind to run shorter games, something like the upcoming Tomb of Horrors, you might even have more success because of the hype of the new product and the fact it's less commitment in the long term.

Also, online games can be a very flaky thing if you don't have serious players. I use a blog and a forum to help anchor and inform them, and I chat with them via instant message often. They've actually branched off and begun writing their own character journals, short fiction and even posted rp they've done out of game amongst themselves.

I completed my first successful 3 year online campaign in 2008. And I've now been running another game which has lasted 75 weeks which may prove to be a 3 year commitment in the end (we're only level 13 heading all the way to 30). We use mIRC and Maptool instead of chat clients, but that's because my I and my players tend to favor creative writing. Also with various rooms open at once, you can really facilitate characters branching off, offer dream sequences or secret information gleaned from passive or active checks, and a bunch of other private sort of things (which maybe you can do with voice programs).

Saagael

First Post
All of my 4e experience has been online, through Maptools and Ventrilo or Teamspeak. I would definitely recommend Maptools, though I haven't used anything else so I don't have much to compare it to.

If you go to the forums on the rptools.net forums you can find the Looking for Group forum, which is where I got both the games I've played in over the past 2 years.

jdawgcurtis

First Post
Hey guys, newly recruited addict to DnD 4.0 here.

I wanted to know if anyone had some good resources to find other online DnD 4.0 gaming groups. I currently play with 1 group where we use tinychat to talk online and gametable to play virtually and I'm looking for another group to join and kill some baddies with.

Any info is welcome.

I've been trying to find an online group as well. I just started playing 4e about a month ago and I can't get enough! Let me know if you need a player!

Palacer

First Post
Well sweet! Thanks for the tips here - I actually checked out rptools.net and tried posting there for some groups and seeing what I get.

I can't get enough of DnD 4.0 either - I make up tons of characters in my head as I look at the books. We'll see what happens. Thanks again for the good tips all. And if anyone coming across this needs a player do let me know too.

Camelot

Adventurer
This is great! I've been wanting to get back into the 4e online games. I usually DM, but I'm new to online DMing, and I'd like to be a player. If anyone starts a 4e game, count me in too!

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Same here! I've been running a group of friends through Keep on the Shadowfell using Skype and various mapping programs (a little OpenRPG, a little Gametable, but ultimately MapTool), and I've been blogging about it (look for posts with the KeepOnTheShadowfell tag for recaps). It's been a ton of fun, but one of my players has had some work conflicts and we haven't been able to play lately. I'd be interested in another game, either as DM or as a player (though I wouldn't run Keep on the Shadowfell again). I highly recommend MapTool as the virtual table of choice.

Palacer

First Post
Again, thanks to everyone who is posting their enthusiasm on this thread. I'm actually seeing more people interested in playing 4E DnD here than on the other LFG boards.

I already see 3 people total who are interested in playing, if anyone else is game maybe we can find a group and a DM right here.

Let's see if anyone else is interested

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases