Going Hard Core

So, if one wanted to dispense with everything but the three core books, and only implement specific components of the errata for things that were obviously broken (like the skill challenge rules) what errata from the three books are absolutely necessary to adopt?

the Jester

Legend
So, if one wanted to dispense with everything but the three core books, and only implement specific components of the errata for things that were obviously broken (like the skill challenge rules) what errata from the three books are absolutely necessary to adopt?

Nothing is absolutely necessary, but here's the errata I'd use:

• All Monster Manual errata
  • Skill challenge errata
  • Updated monster damage expressions
  • Updated monster accuracy and defenses

Mentat55

First Post
I'd recommend the errata for some of the powers, like Blade Cascade, Solar Wrath, and Righteous Brand. A lot of the recent errata for PHB1 powers is probably not necessary, if you want to keep changes to a minimum.

I'm thinking that the only change I will make is to reduce the DC for Skill Challenges by 5 (as opposed to increasing them by 5); I won't even switch to the "three failures" rule change, even if it makes the SC much easier.

But I was reading that the Monster Manual has a slew of errata; is there anything that one could use a quick rule of thumb (such as cut monster hitpoints while increasing damage across the board) that would more or less reflect the result of making the dozens of errata changes?

fba827

Adventurer
though most of what i was going to say was already said, i'll add in
-Stealth updates

As far as monster manual updates:
-soldier monsters should get -2 to their attack rolls
-brutes should get +2 to their attack rolls
-tweak up the damage for everything (i've seen some people use "double the static modifier" i.e. if it's 1d6+4 make it 1d6+8; i've seen other people add +5 per tier; etc)
tweak down the hp slightly (if you can easily do something like 80% then go with something like that -- though i don't know what the exact number should be -- but play it by ear a little. if the combat is slogging on then don't be afraid to say that a hit just kills it or makes it cower into submission. a -monsters hit points should only be enough to make the encounter last long enough to continue being engaging and new attacks... but once it is down to just atwills being thrown round after round, then it needs to stop).

the Jester

Legend
A lot lot LOT of Monster Manual brutes have damage that is seriously too low. Really- stuff like 1d10+5 that should be 2d10+5. It's really worth using the MM errata imho.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases