D&D 4E Warhammer-esque wounds in 4e

I've been intrigued by wounds in D&D for a while, and after reading the Rogue Trader Warhammer 40k rulebook, I think I've got a system that could work and be fun. Plus, it lets me scrub out the 'daily resources' part of 4e that I've never been so fond of. Edit: My goal with this house rule is to keep the combat balance the same as in default 4e, but to allow the possibility for rare serious injuries that last long enough to affect the game's story.

Healing Surges and Heroic Surges
First of all, characters don't have a limited number of healing surges per day. Instead they get 2 to 5 per encounter, depending on class and role. I'm not sure what the precise numbers will be yet, but there won't be any bonus surges based on Constitution score. Con already gives you bonus HP, endurance, and Fortitude, so I think I can get away with not tying 'number of surges' to Con.

Once you're out of healing surges, you can go all John McClane in Diehard and take 'heroic surges.' A heroic surge restores hit points just like a healing surge, but it has drawbacks, detailed below.

You no longer die from being reduced to 'negative bloodied.' In fact, you can't die from hit point damage at all.

Wounds
Whenever you take damage that reduces you to 0 hit points or below, roll on the wound table to determine where you get a wound. (Alternately, you and the GM can agree on an appropriate location based on the nature of the attack that dealt the wound.)

You gain the Stage 1 effect of that wound. If you already have a wound in that location (such as if you are injured again while unconscious, or if you get up and get knocked down again), the wound increases by 1 stage. If the attack that causes a wound is a critical hit, increase the wound an additional 1 stage.

Wound stages are like the condition track. Stages 1 to 3 are all minor wounds. They grant a small penalty until you take a long enough rest. Stage 4 is a major wound, like a severed limb or gouged eye that cannot heal with magic. Stage 5 is a mortal wound, which you cannot recover from without ritual magic, though you might last long enough to say a few dying words.

Stage 1 lasts until you take a short rest. Stage 2 lasts until an extended rest. Stage 3 ends when you take an extended rest and succeed an Endurance check or receive a Heal check (DC 20).

Stage 4 requires the Remove Affliction ritual to fix (that ritual can also immediately heal lower stages of wounds). Stage 5 lasts until you receive a Raise Dead ritual, which revives you and reduces the wound to stage 4.

Finally, if you are out of healing surges, you can potentially keep fighting with heroic surges, but you run the risk of turning a normally minor wound into a major or mortal wound. Whenever you gain a wound, you start at Stage (1 + number of heroic surges spent this encounter), and additional wounds increase from there.

If you're already wounded, spending an additional heroic surge won't worsen your wounds, but if you take any additional wound, they are calculated with the new values.

For instance, if you have already used all your healing surges plus 1 heroic surge, and then you are dropped to 0 hit points, you'll gain a Stage 2 wound. If you spend another heroic surge there won't be any drawback unless you fall unconscious again. At that point, you'll either gain a new Stage 3 wound, or aggravate your existing wound to Stage 4.

If you had spent all your healing surges plus 4 heroic surges (a highly unlikely situation), then the first time you're dropped to 0 hit points, you'll die.

Wound Table
Roll d6:
1. Left leg.
2. Right leg.
3. Torso.
4. Left arm.
5. Right arm.
6. Head.

Leg.
Minor - Creature is slowed. If both legs are wounded, the creature is immobilized, though it could perhaps crawl 1 square as a standard action.

Major - Leg or foot is severed or destroyed. Creature is immobilized, or slowed if it has a free hand to brace against something or carry a crutch. Whenever creature takes damage (unless it is braced against something or has a crutch), it falls prone. Major wounds to both legs make the creature permanently prone.

Torso.
Minor - Creature gains vulnerable 5 all, and takes a -2 penalty to saves.

Major - Creature gains vulnerable 10 all, it cannot heal above its bloodied value, and it takes a -5 penalty to saves.
(I decided I didn't want to modify hit points too much. I want minor wounds to take make certain combat options suboptimal, but not make you suck all around.)

Arm.
Minor - Creature takes -2 penalty to attacks made with wounded arm, or using weapons, implements, or other items held in that hand. If the creature tries to move using that arm (such as to climb or swim), it is considered slowed.

Major - Arm or hand is severed or destroyed. Creature cannot use wounded arm.

Head.
Minor - Roll 1d6. 1 - Creature is blinded in left eye. 2 - Creature is blinded in right eye. 3 - Creature is blinded in both eyes. 4 - Creature is deafened in left ear. 5 - Creature is deafened in right ear. 6 - Creature is rendered mute.

Major - As above, plus creature is dazed and takes a -5 penalty to skill checks.

Wounds may incur additional effects, as appropriate. For instance, a creature rendered mute by a serious blow to the head would probably also get a -2 penalty to bite attack rolls.

Special Note - Coup de Grace
A coup de grace is automatically a critical hit, so if it reduces the creature below 0 the attacker can choose to inflict a wound to any two locations it wants, or two wounds to one location.

Optional Rule - Monstrous Critical Wounds
For extra fun, when a PC scores a critical hit on a monster, it gains a Stage 1 wound. The PC can choose to spend an action point. If he does, he instead inflicts a Stage 4 wound.

Note that the effects of severed limbs may be less severe for some creatures, and a few creatures - particularly incorporeal or amorphous beings - may be wholly immune to critical wounds.

Optional Rule - More Common Crits
Potentially, we might make it so that any critical hit that results in a creature being bloodied inflicts a wound, and being reduced to 0 or below produces an additional wound. So Obi-Wan apparently has an at-will that lets him make two attacks, and he used heavy blade opportunity to get two crits on Anakin, the second of which dropped him to 0 after Anakin had already spent 3 heroic surges.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
I'm answering you here instead of the "Humor The Next Most Unrealistic..." thread.

This is a reasonable kludge for dealing with the 4e healing mechanics, but it adds a lot more complexity that I would personally like.

With RCFG, I created a "Shake it Off" value. Any damage taken since your last SiO can be healed if it falls under that amount, by resting and dealing with your wounds.

I am not a big fan of 4e, and I am sure that I fail to understand all the complexities thereof, but wouldn't it be possible (and simpler) to create a wound threshold that a healing surge cannot heal beyond? Then, any damage since your last HS that surpassed the WT would be healed only by spending X time per HP in healing, or through healing magic (as per older editions). You could also then use healing potions that expressly allow either (A) an extra healing surge, taken immediately, or (B) healing of damage beyond the WT; but not both.

Or something like that.

You also expressed some distaste for the bland 4e magical items. Would it be possible to run a 4e game using items from the 2e Encycolopedia Magica with the game system? Instead of allowing the players to choose their items, simply make discovery of items -- and what items do -- part of the game again.

Or would this not work in 4e?

RC

--

I am not a big fan of 4e, and I am sure that I fail to understand all the complexities thereof, but wouldn't it be possible (and simpler) to create a wound threshold that a healing surge cannot heal beyond? Then, any damage since your last HS that surpassed the WT would be healed only by spending X time per HP in healing, or through healing magic (as per older editions). You could also then use healing potions that expressly allow either (A) an extra healing surge, taken immediately, or (B) healing of damage beyond the WT; but not both.

I think I get what you're saying. But I like the ability to hop into every fight at full hit points; I just wanted a way to include the rare injury that was severe enough to affect the game's story.

One of my early ideas for a wound system was something like "half HP, half VP (vitality points)." VP would heal with healing surges (or just automatically, after every fight), but HP would take time to heal. However, the 4e combat balance is tied closely to HP values, so a combat's difficulty changes a lot if PCs start a fight down HP from earlier in the day.

Maybe I could say that you accrue Wound Damage once you go below 0 HP, and when your Wound Damage equals your normal Bloodied Value, you die. Then have Wound Damage heal a few points per day.

But I dunno. I mostly just wanted a way to model injuries, and figure out how PCs might end up missing an eye, or at least having a cool scar after they magically regrow the thing. And I wanted to do it in a way that wouldn't affect hit points. (Now that you mention it, I think I probably ought to revise my torso wound effects.)

I guess we just want different things. Still, I appreciate you offering a different perspective.

You also expressed some distaste for the bland 4e magical items. Would it be possible to run a 4e game using items from the 2e Encycolopedia Magica with the game system? Instead of allowing the players to choose their items, simply make discovery of items -- and what items do -- part of the game again.

Or would this not work in 4e?
--

Alas, I don't own a copy of it, but sure, it could certainly work. I don't have a hard time making my own magic items for my game, but I still lament that the ones they publish are bland.

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Well, based on your stated goals, your system should work fine. It will certainly model what you want it to......And that, when the last word is said, is what is really important.

Just make sure that you keep a copy of your hit location chart/effects handy during play! And make sure that your players know that this is, in effect, a playtest -- the rules are not written in stone until they have been thoroughly tried out!

RC

Well, based on your stated goals, your system should work fine. It will certainly model what you want it to......And that, when the last word is said, is what is really important.

Just make sure that you keep a copy of your hit location chart/effects handy during play! And make sure that your players know that this is, in effect, a playtest -- the rules are not written in stone until they have been thoroughly tried out!

RC

Exactly. I think I'll try it first in a one-shot.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I like it.

What I'd be interested in hearing about is how it affects other choices - like when to take an extended rest, going to a big city to find someone with Remove Affliction, stuff like that.

How do you imagine it playing out on that level, RW?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
An effect that may happen that I'm not sure if you want:

Squishy characters become more "heroic." Because with less healing surges, they get to use their heroic surges more often than other types of characters. You might have a lot of wizards with temporarily broken bones, gritting through the pain to continue fighting. It seems to me like you should have more tough characters doing that, not fewer.

On that note, the conditions are worse for some characters than they are for others. Slowed matters more for, say, most strikers than it does for most defenders. The randomness helps that a bit, but there may be some "eh"s.

I'm also not sure "# of healing surges" is that big of a resource. In most combats, a character doesn't spend more than 1-3 surges, if that. The leader's healing X powers (a surge, sometimes 2), your second wind (a surge), and that's about it. That's assuming that you're even fighting monsters that hit all characters evenly, which is pretty rare.

I love the idea of a permanent injury that is more difficult to heal for being reduced to 0 hp, though. Keeps that threshold important after the combat is over, too.

the Jester

Legend
You no longer die from being reduced to 'negative bloodied.' In fact, you can't die from hit point damage at all.

I mostly lost interest right here. Skimming the rest, I see no way for anyone to die that is even close to reasonable. Seems like you can avoid any danger of lethality simply by hanging on to a surge. Am I missing something here?

Remove ads