Dragon Slaying

Macc1980

First Post
I need to make an archer LvL 15 . That specializes in fighting dragons. I can use up to an ECL 4 race if i want something exotic. No 9 swords or 3rd party books.
I was thinking a lvl3 acout 2fighter 2 order of bow initiate (so i can shoot dragons and not provoke attacks of opportunity) and 8 ranks in Dragon stalker.

Also not sure what kind of items might be a must. But basic layout (since I get lvl 15 gold)
something like
+4 chain shirt
+3Mighty4 Longbow with dragon bane
MW Longsword
Gloves of Dex +4
Ring of Prot +3
Ring of sust.
Greater Bracers of Archery
and Skirmisher boots.

This kinda what I came up with at first. But now wondering if scout 3/ranger 12 with swift hunter wouldn't be better?
or using some really cool ecl 1 or 2 race with a sh*tload of Dex or something . Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially if anyone has had a dragon slaying archer in the past.

Dandu

First Post
Behold

Human
Ranger 6/ Fighter 4/ Horizon Walker 6/ Shadowdancer 4

28 Str (Base 14+4 inherent +4 levels+ 6 item)
28 Dex (Base 16+5 inherent +1 level +6 item)
20 Con (Base 14+6 item)
12 Int (Base 12)
10 Wis (Base 10)
8 Cha (Base 8)

Feats:
1st lvl Point Blank Shot
Weapon Focus(Composite Long bow)(human Bonus)
Track (Ranger Bonus)
Rapid Shot (Ranger Bonus)
3rd lvl Precise Shot/ Endurance (Ranger Bonus)
6th lvl Dodge/ Many Shot (Ranger Bonus)
Mobility (Fighter Bonus)
Combat Reflexes(Fighter Bonus)
9th lvl Quickdraw
Weapon Specialization(Composite Longbow)(Fighter Bonus)
12th lvl Shot on the Run
15th lvl Improved Precise Shot
18th lvl Improved Initiative

Base Saves(FRW)15/12/6 ...
+1 Luck all
+1 Haste(Ref)
+5 Fort(con)
+9 Ref(Dex)
+4 Resistance(rod) all
+2 Morale All
final saves:
FRW 27/29/13

BAB +19
Attack: BAB+19 + 1 Haste + 1 Insight +2 Competence +7 Enhancement+ 9 Dex +2 Morale = +41 Attack

Full Attack with Rapid Shot and Haste @ 330'= +35/+35/+35/+30/+25/+20

Damage:
4.5 Composite Arrow + 4 Fav enemy + 2 Morale +1 Insight + 1 Competence +9 Str +2 Wpn Spclz + +7 Holy +7 Axiomatic +7 Bane +5.25 frost = average 49.75 points of Damage + 1pt Con damage with each hit(2 Hits do 28 additional points of Damage from Con loss)

estimate 1 1/2 rounds of Combat to Kill...if 4 shots Hit(199 damage+56 from con damage) round 1, 4 shots Hit(199 damage+56 from con damage) round 2

AC +1 Haste +1 Insight +2 Deflection(Magic Circ vs Evil)

Skills:.... these might be higher, havent checked for everything yet
29 Spot 23 ranks + 4 competence + 2 Morale
26 Search 23 ranks +1 Int+ 2 Morale
25 Listen 23 ranks+ 2 Morale
38 Hide 23 ranks + 4 competence+ 2 Morale+9 Dex
34 Move Silent 23 ranks + 2 Morale+9 Dex

-

Since you're going out of Core, I suggest you add the Splitting enhancement to your bow so you double the amount of arrows you fire.

And replace either Improved Initiative or Quick Draw with Improved Manyshot.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Also out of core is Solitary Hunting, to replace your animal companion with the favored enemy bonus on attack rolls on top of damage rolls.

In MIC: Enemy Spirit Pouch for 2100 gp. It takes the throat slot, but is cheap enough to pay double for a non-body slot. Key it to dragons, your Favored Enemy bonus against dragons is now 2 higher, and you get a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls.

I think C.Warrior has Improved Favored Enemy feat, to give you a +3 on the damage against all your favored enemies.

Macc1980

First Post
con damage. Where does the con dmage come from? That looks like a great build.
So you thinking that the Order of bow initiate isn't really worth the no attacks of opportunity feat?
I guess I'm wondering what the shadow damcer adds to the build. I do love the favored enemy additions.

Dandu

First Post
con damage. Where does the con dmage come from?
Wounding weapon enchantment

So you thinking that the Order of bow initiate isn't really worth the no attacks of opportunity feat?
Personally, I think if you're fighting dragons within the dragon's melee range, you're doing it wrong.

I guess I'm wondering what the shadow damcer adds to the build.
Hide in Plain Sight and Evasion are useful. The last two levels, not so much from what i can tell. I guess you could replace them with OotBI if you want.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

It's ok, the rest of the class is terrible, though. Also, look at the Arrowmind spell in Spell Compendium as an alternative. It's a level 1 spell on the Ranger list, an Immediate action to cast, and lasts minute/level (so even casting it from a wand if you lack the spell slots means a casting will last the battle). For the duration, not only do you not provoke AoOs for firing while threatened, you can actually threaten your adjacent squares and take AoOs on enemies that provoke them with bow shots.

It's strictly better than OotBI. You may risk getting dispelled with your crappy caster level, but the Practiced Spellcaster feat (+4 effective CL) or re-casting Arrowmind can help with that.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Hide in Plain Sight and Evasion are useful. The last two levels, not so much from what i can tell. I guess you could replace them with OotBI if you want.

Rangers already get Evasion, though I guess Improved Evasion with them stacking is decent (between good base saves and high dex, you probably don't need it, though). Rangers also already get Hide in Plain Sight. Perhaps not nearly as early, but it's also probably better than Shadow Dancer's version since it's Extraordinary and not Supernatural (nor reliant on shadows).

Dandu

First Post
, but it's also probably better than Shadow Dancer's version since it's Extraordinary and not Supernatural (nor reliant on shadows).
Ranger's HiPS only works in areas of natural terrain. Shadowdancer's HiPS works anywhere there's a shadow. Check your immediate vicinity; there's always a shadow.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases