Steel Dragons' Art

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Comparative Dwarfism

Comparative Dwarfism A (very broad/generalized) look at the various dwarven cultures of Orea.

The Naradun: the fatherland, so to speak. The original culture of the original race of the original Orean dwarves...hard-nosed full-tilt "Mountain dwarves" for us old skoolers.

The Daegun: The southern dwarven kingdom ceded from Naradun some thousands of years ago. They are just as concerned with the arts of war, mining, forging and crafting the riches of the earth but are a little less hard-edged...a LITTLE less. I think of them as more hill dwarves in the old school vernacular though they certainly live within the Daegun mountains as well as above them.

The Korokun: Are a virtual legend (intended for NPC/encounters only), the "ice dwarves" of Orea are said to live in and under the utterly frozen wastes of the foothills and mountains of the Worldcrest range. They are alleged to be ruled form a dazzling grand hall of diamonds that would make any other dwarf weep. Their existence, however, as well as the location of this legendary hall are merely the topic of Naradun and Daegun dwarven song.

Attachments

• dwarves2.jpg
    dwarves2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 125

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
What NOT to play...

I had this idea of various race/class combo's that...while I'm sure would be fun for some people, in the interest of "verisimilitude" in the Orean world simply can NOT be.

When I finished the sketch I looked and thought, hm this might be a fun one-shot for a jokey game of ridiculous nature...but as for actual characters in Orea...no. These guys wouldn't/will not exist.

So, in the great company of "No-no's" we have:
The Halfling Barbarian: as stated in many places barbarians of Orea are the human clans of the Gorunduun. Barbarians are a culture and a class and not allowed for any other than human (or in rare instances half-elf or half-orc).

The Satyr Paladin: While I really liked how his armor came out, paladins in Orea are Lawful Good or Lawful Evil...and satyr's in Orea, while being "good" on the whole, are simply NOT Lawful enough (or lawful at all, actually. It's completely against their "party all the time" nature) to pull off paladinic status.

The Goblin Wizard: Goblins have spellcasters in their societies. They are shamans. Shamans do get some spells that have equivalent arcane effects but shamans on Orea access the "natural" magic source. Arcane magic, as wizardry, is not accessible to/by goblins.

The Sprite Monk: cuz...well...just c'mon. It's just silly. Waaaay to flighty by nature to even attempt the discipline necessary to train as a monk.

The Lizardman Bard: Again, c'mon. Every tune goes "Thsss Sss Ths Hissssss Thsssth thssss." Not happenin'.

The Minotaur Druid: (here come the Dragonlance fans and WoW'ers to skin me alive) Minotaurs on Orea are, well, BAD guys. They are evil creatures of a malicious and ferocious nature. They really do not have the faculties to mesh in the neutral balancey one-with-natureness of the Ancient Order of Mistwood. So, sorry again. No minotaur druids. As with goblins, if you are UNfortunate enough to find a minotaur settlement of sufficient size (highly uncommon) you may encounter a minotaur shaman or witchdoctor happy to sacrifice you to their bull-demon deity...but not a druid.

Attachments

• no_nos.jpg
    no_nos.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 132

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
At long last, the inking is complete ( a friend of mine from my high school group has been waiting patiently on this on facebook for many moons. She played the drow and fighter, "Cass & Dice" :)

The Knights of Norloknyr (left to right)
Gilbert: halfling thief
Arrox: human paladin (of Astar)
Shiir: half-elf ranger/thief
Pallendyr: elf (ShiStaliiri) magic-user
Xavor: dwarf fighter/cleric (of Toralon Kor)
Arathrista: human druid
Cassadine: elf (ShiDaeiri) thief
Dice: human fighter

Attachments

• knightsofnorloknyr.jpg
    knightsofnorloknyr.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I found the magazine and the comic strip I mentioned. It wasn't Magus as I'd thought, it was in Sininen Lohikäärme #2 (the name stand for Blue Dragon). Both the magazine and the company publishing it seized to exist years ago.

I'll see if I can get some samples of it here.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Lovinnnn' my scannerrrrr....doo dee doo doo doo...

Here is...oh! This is a collection of minor characters, some I've played, most I haven't, some were used as NPCs or were rolled and never used.

Anyway, I lumped them all up into being some of the initial recruits/members of the Steel Dragons organization. There're more of them...maybe I'll add them in eventually...

So here are (left to right):
Cyntal: half-elf (human half is Thelitian) magic-user/cleric
Narine: human psion, "The Silver Seeress"
Garap "the Bloodhawk": halfling fighter/rogue
Tod: human (mute) psion
Featherflare: zephari fighter. Zepharim aren't actually that tall, she's on the back riser or hovering or something. haha.
Tylan: ShiCynallae elf ranger
Kira: halfling rogue
Celot: human cleric (Celradorn)
Gnellangnes "Gnel" Rightroot: gnome illusionist with a penchant for potion making.
Kori: half-elf (elf half is Karolostae, sea elf) rogue
Reta: human magic-user
Torruk: human barbarian
Valaura: elf (Miralostae) fighter/magic-user. She would probably be well suited to convert to a "bladesinger" or "swordmage" or some other magic with swords prestige class that I never used. But she was created as a plain ole elvin fighter/magic-user.

Attachments

• steeldragons_recruits.jpg
    steeldragons_recruits.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 119

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
splash page

here's a WIP for a cover or splash page of people/characters of my world of Orea.

Pictured (roughly top to bottom): a zephari (winged humanoid race), one of the islander people of Tanku, a barbarian of Gorunduu, a druid of the ancient order, a magic-user (presumably from the mage-lands of R'Hath), elf soraryn, halfling, dwarf (roguish type) and generic fighter guy (probably from the high kingdom of Grinlia.)

Not sure what to do with the lower right corner...maybe a satyr...I dunno. Like I said, WiP.

--SD

Attachments

• orea_cover.jpg
    orea_cover.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 112

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Guess who's STILL loving his new scanner? hehehe.

Anywho, here's some reposts of things that had AWFUL quality uploads before. If there's an image in this thread you'd like a clearer shot of, let me know and I'll scan it in properly fer ya. :D

So here are a couple of the demi-human archetypal images again.

Attachments

• archetypes_elves.jpg
    archetypes_elves.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 117
  • archetypes_dwarves.jpg
    archetypes_dwarves.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • archetypes_gnomes.jpg
    archetypes_gnomes.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 100
  • archetypes_halfling.jpg
    archetypes_halfling.jpg