Steel Dragons' Art

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
That's awesome, Knightfall. I'll check it out momentarily.

Thanks very much. I'm flattered you like it that much.

In that vein, here are the Order of the Silver Hand guys (all of them) inked and scanned. If you want the files directly, let me know and I'll email them to you.

What I reeeally need to do is dust off my personal website and get these things uploaded there so I can just embed them in here instead of attaching all of the time...Make it easier for people to view my stuff all at once, put in requests for their characters/groups, etc.

Anyway, here're your guys. I hope your players enjoy them.
--SD

Attachments

• silverhand1.jpg
    silverhand1.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 113
  • silverhand2.jpg
    silverhand2.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 108
  • silverhand3.jpg
    silverhand3.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 98
  • silverhand4.jpg
    silverhand4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
And so it begins...

Here are the first couple of sketch cards for the characters of "Abernathy's Company" Story Hour written by Sagiro.

This is Morningstar, Shield of Ell, cleric of the goddess of night and dreams
and Greywolf, a half-elvin fighter/magic-user with his familiar, Edghar.

--Steel Dragons

EDIT: My bad. (pardon a lil' shameless cross promotion on my part) Anyone who doesn't know the story, get to know it! It's great! You can it here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-...res-abernathys-company-updated-11-8-10-a.html on ENworld. OR, ENworlder StevenAC has done a fantastic job of compiling the whole story (from waaaay back at the beginning) in PDF form here: http://stevenac.net/sagiro/StoryHour.htm

Attachments

• sagiro_morningstar.jpg
    sagiro_morningstar.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 202
  • sagiro_greywolf.jpg
    sagiro_greywolf.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sagiro's Story Hour II

Here we have a couple of more folks from Abernathy's Company.

(I know everybody's waitin' for this one... ;) Dranko: half-orc "rogue" and cleric of the god of healing (who's curative magic leaves scars).

PirateCat, Dranko needs a lil' help. (for those who don't know the story hour, Dranko is PC's character)
1) I couldn't find an image of a "van dyke beard" that didn't include the oversized/waxed/pointed moustache. I couldn't make it work on his face and think the beard alone looks better, but if he has a moustache, he has one. So let me know which way to go with that.
2) Also, hair style. You mentioned tousled so that's what I tried to do, but I do like the shorter cut. Actually, my favorite is the one in the center, no 'stache and hair pulled back in a "sorta neat" pony tail. The intention of that face was for Dranko to be attempting an "I didn't do it" face. I realized mid-sketch that he can't really whistle with the tusks (without fingers anyway). haha. SO just kinda looks like he's looking away...perhaps this is as "innocent" as Dranko is capable of looking? hahaha.

The other guy is "One Certain Step" (just "Step" for short), a paladin from the world's eastern continent of Kivia, specifically the city of Djaw. He is (was) a paladin of the Kivian goddess of the sun...and an NPC for much of his existence...so his look is Sagiro's call, I guess. How'd I do?

I played around with his hair style as well. Tried the topknot/Firebender route with longer hair, but taking the helmet into account, think I prefer him with a crew cut. Wasn't sure which direction to go/general hair styles in Djaw these days ;) ...or in Step's days.

So again, let me know if anything doesn't mesh with your vision of the characters and I'll rework.

--SD

EDIT: My bad. (pardon a lil' shameless cross promotion on my part) Anyone who doesn't know the story, get to know it! It's great! You can it here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-...res-abernathys-company-updated-11-8-10-a.html on ENworld. OR, ENworlder StevenAC has done a fantastic job of compiling the whole story (from waaaay back at the beginning) in PDF form here: http://stevenac.net/sagiro/StoryHour.htm

Attachments

• sagiro_dranko.jpg
    sagiro_dranko.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 209
  • sagiro_step.jpg
    sagiro_step.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Comments, not criticisms - I love these, and love that you're doing them. Thank you!

- Step's legs seem artificially shortened. He's not a tall guy, but he looks a bit squat. The pencil sketches behind him nailed his face beautifully. (That's true of Morningstar's face as well; the pencil sketch of her right over the colored version is closest to how I see her face. Also, "Drrrankoooo!" made me laugh for minutes.)

- No long and pointy mustache, I'm afraid; that's waaay too dwarvish. To see what I'm thinking for Dranko, google "Jayne Cobb Firefly". In the photos of Jayne wearing his hat, Dranko has the same sort of facial hair.

- Whether it was intentional or not, I notice that Dranko has no scars on his left arm. That's the scar-free arm that was bitten off by the rat and regenerated! Exactly right, good call.

- For almost all of his career Dranko had no hat or helm.

- Hair tends to be shorter, never long and loose in back. He did have a ponytail for a while, and then chopped it off.

- For fiddly realism, Blacktallow cigar smoke tends to sink instead of rise! No one knows or cares about this except for me. :D

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Comments, not criticisms - I love these, and love that you're doing them. Thank you!

You are quite welcome and I am happy you (and Sagiro and hopefully the other players) are enjoying them.

- Step's legs seem artificially shortened. He's not a tall guy, but he looks a bit squat. The pencil sketches behind him nailed his face beautifully. (That's true of Morningstar's face as well; the pencil sketch of her right over the colored version is closest to how I see her face. Also, "Drrrankoooo!" made me laugh for minutes.)

Good! I do really like the (questioning) expression on the top sketch of Step's page...and the one on Morningstar's you point out is my favorite too, I think...Glad you got a kick out of the bottom pencil. haha. It just seemed so appropriate and I was chuckling inwardly as I drew her.

- No long and pointy mustache, I'm afraid; that's waaay too dwarvish.

Thank gods. :angel:

To see what I'm thinking for Dranko, google "Jayne Cobb Firefly". In the photos of Jayne wearing his hat, Dranko has the same sort of facial hair.

Ok, will do.

- Whether it was intentional or not, I notice that Dranko has no scars on his left arm. That's the scar-free arm that was bitten off by the rat and regenerated! Exactly right, good call.

It was, in fact, comPLETEly intentional. Also why I posed him to kinda "show off" the clean arm. I recalled that lil' tidbit from the read.B-)B-)

- Hair tends to be shorter, never long and loose in back. He did have a ponytail for a while, and then chopped it off.

Ok. Shorter hair it is...I'm kinda glad about that, too.

- For fiddly realism, Blacktallow cigar smoke tends to sink instead of rise! No one knows or cares about this except for me. :D

Lol. You are correct. I did not know that. I'll see what I can do.

Ok so, good direction with improving (making more authentic) his face/head. Thanks.

Was the general look/feel of the "an assassin with more wealth than sense" black and crimson outfit ok with you?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
<googles Jayne Cobb Firefly>

OH!...A goatee?!:confused:

Dranko has a goatee.

When I googled "van dyke beard" that is NOT what came up.

LMAO.

I'll get started on a Dranko revise when everyone's first drafts are finished.

Thanks again for the comments and compliments, PC.
--Steel Dragons

Remove ads