Converting between 1E, 2E and 3E

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day folks!

Just wondering: how hard have you found it to convert between 1E, 2E and 3E material - in any direction?

Personally, I've run many modules from 1E (and even Basic D&D) in my 3E campaign, even doing so 'on the fly', because I can just look up the stats of the 3E goblin... other creatures I just put together a bunch of stats that look good, or go looking for an existing conversion.

If I needed to run a 3E module in 1E, I don't think I'd have much trouble...

So, what about you?

Cheers!

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
When 3E first came out, I used a lot of published adventures from 2E that I had never got around to using, simply because they fit the campaign at that time. I never really had much trouble converting them, but I was never very formal about it. If an NPC was a 5th level mage in 2E, I just called him a 5th level mage in 3E, and just sorta pulled spells, skills, and feats out of my arse as need be. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably be a little more careful about it, but I still don't see how it would be all that hard.

Crothian

First Post
The week I got the MM I ran Keep on the Bordlands. Little to no actual prep time except for all the times I'd run the module. So, I knew the module realy well, just had to use the MM to reference the monsters and occasionally the DMG to change out magical items. It was no problem what so ever. I did the same thing with the three giant modules (G1, G2, and G3) as well as the two Alice in Wonderland themed modules. THey were a little hardier using some non standard creatures but by then I was much more familiar with the system and able to do many more things on the fly.

I've never tried to convert 3rd edition to anything, so I have no idea how that would be.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
No trouble at all, at least for me. I've recently broken out several of my 1e mods (some of the A series, the U series) and run them as is....just made a few notes about certain NPCs or monsters and away we went.

johnsemlak

First Post
don't have too much experience with 3e yet, but it seems to be much harder with higher level modules. A lot of modules that might have been designed for 9-12 level characters may now be more appropriate for level 15+ (It's hard fro me to imagine a 9-14 level party killing Lloth in 3e, it was difficult enough in the original anyway).

Plus, High level NPC's have so many variables that are specific to 3e. Feats, Skills, PrCs, etc. 'Standard High-level characters' ready, with the feats alraedy chosen and so forth.

1e to 2e and vice versa was no problem. I fwe monsters were tweaked (mainly dragons). But much easier.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
johnsemlak said:
don't have too much experience with 3e yet, but it seems to be much harder with higher level modules. A lot of modules that might have been designed for 9-12 level characters may now be more appropriate for level 15+ (It's hard fro me to imagine a 9-14 level party killing Lloth in 3e, it was difficult enough in the original anyway).

Yeppers agreed. Ya gotta be careful with some of the older high level stuff (Giant series, for example). Giants have been ramped up slightly in power and are badasses now compared to 1e. I would definitely not run the G-series with the 1e suggested levels unless you want to scale the giants in 3e down a bit. The easiest thing to do is just use higher level characters when running that module.

johnsemlak

First Post
Another problem with the GDQ series is that with all the Giants, Dragons, demons and other high level monsters, there are lots lof low level monsters/npcs (all the bugbears/trogs, 1-2 level drow NPCs, plus even loads of medium level drow). Even with the drow special abilities and tactics, putting truly high level 3e characters in the GDQ series will require all sorts of adjustments to make it work.

That's why I think the GDQ series is in the greatest need of a thorough 3e version. (note, I am looking forward to the Vault of Larin Carr, don't have it yet, but it's on my xmas list)

Has anybody played the 3e conversions available in the conversiton section? They do seem ok to me, but again, the dragons and Giants (particularly the leaders) are now much more powerful.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
johnsemlak said:

That's why I think the GDQ series is in the greatest need of a thorough 3e version. (note, I am looking forward to the Vault of Larin Carr, don't have it yet, but it's on my xmas list)

Has anybody played the 3e conversions available in the conversiton section? They do seem ok to me, but again, the dragons and Giants (particularly the leaders) are now much more powerful.

I'm actually gonna be running the G series in a few weeks or so. So, I'll let ya know how it goes. I haven't looked at the conversions on ENWorld, but might check them out to see how they are.

And glad to hear about Larrin Karr. It really is a solid book. Brings back memories of the D series. Wish I could say I had a hand in writing it, but that was all Bill Kenower's work right there.

johnsemlak

First Post
Grazzt said:

I'm actually gonna be running the G series in a few weeks or so. So, I'll let ya know how it goes. I haven't looked at the conversions on ENWorld, but might check them out to see how they are.

I'd be really interested to hear how that goes.

Are you runnning the 2e 'Liberation of Geoff' Version, or the original? ARe you going to do the entire GDQ version?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases