Rules Interpretation Question - Blurred Step

Does the Blurred Step stop the Dragon's Movement

• No, the dragon can shift to another square

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

renau1g

First Post
I had something come up in a PbP game and wanted to see everyone's thoughts. So, I've attached a map of the situation. Brown Dragon is up and wants to shift to J4 to get a shot of the squishy Psion, Calisto. Ghorgor, the goliath battlemind, doesn't want that. The dragon attempts to shift to J4, but Ghorgor uses Blurred Step as an Opportunity Action (therefore an interrupt) to shift to J4 hoping to block the move. Now, I was thinking that because the shift for dragon wasn't valid anymore, the dragon still had his move action left, so he would shift to J5 to get at Calisto still. One of the players believes that the interrupt stops the movement and therefore the dragon's forced to attack Ghorgor.

I put a poll above to see everyone's thoughts, but please add some details as to your vote :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Chef.jpg
    Chef.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Markn

First Post
I'm not 100% sure this is correct but this is what I believe happens. When the dragon says he will shift and the Opportunity Action interrupts it, the dragon has the option to choose a different square to shift to. At no point is your destination locked in. However your shift is locked in because that is what you are in the middle of doing when the OA interrupt happens. Therefore, since the square that the dragon wanted to move into is now illegal (since it has a body in it) he can choose to shift to any other square. Of course, he can forgo his shift but either way the move action is used up.

No opportunity action anymore. A free action that happens after the shift. ;)

July update!

Now the power works as intended

Edit: i wouldn´t allow the dragon to shift into the space the battlemind left, even without the update, because this would invalidate the power (the reason for the update, because it wa not so very clear howto handle this situation)

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Good answer UngeheuerLich and unfortunately too late for me. I answered in response to Compendium only. Prior to July errata, the answer is definitely "yes." with the July errata, it's definitely "no."

Blurred Step
Page 44: In the Action Type entry, replace “Opportunity Action” with “Free Action (Special).” At the bottom of the power, add the following line: “Special: You can use this power only once per turn.” This change updates the power to reflect the original intent: A battlemind should be able to shift after the triggering enemy shifts. A attlemind should not be shifting as an opportunity action, which precedes the triggering enemy’s shift.

renau1g

First Post
Oh..damnit the compendium isn't updated. Thanks guys

Blurred Step

You bend reality with the power of your mind, flashing across the space between you and your enemy.

At-Will Psionic
Opportunity Action Personal

Trigger: An adjacent enemy marked by you shifts

Effect: You shift 1 square.

First published in Player's Handbook 3.

vs

Blurred Step
Page 44: In the Action Type entry, replace “Opportunity
Action” with “Free Action (Special).” At the
bottom of the power, add the following line: “Special:
You can use this power only once per turn.” This
change updates the power to reflect the original