Rules Interpretation Question - Blurred Step

renau1g

First Post
I had something come up in Chef's Request and wanted to see everyone's thoughts. So, I've attached a map of the situation. Brown Dragon is up and wants to shift to J4 to get a shot of the squishy Psion, Calisto. Ghorgor, the goliath battlemind, doesn't want that. The dragon attempts to shift to J4, but Ghorgor uses Blurred Step as an Opportunity Action (therefore an interrupt) to shift to J4 hoping to block the move. Now, I was thinking that because the shift for dragon wasn't valid anymore, the dragon still had his move action left, so he would shift to J5 to get at Calisto still. One of the players believes that the interrupt stops the movement and therefore the dragon's forced to attack Ghorgor.

Thanks!

44730d1279570663-rules-interpretation-question-blurred-step-chef.jpg

Velmont

First Post
My opinion would be that he lose his shift action, or at least lose 1 square of his shift action for a monster who can shift more than 1 square.

Similar case that happen most often, it is someone declare to attack someone and either the target or the attacker is teleported. His attack is lost if the target is no more a legal target. Dimensional Vortex, a swordmage power, even specify that the target can make his attack against a new target for that case, supposing that in normal case, you cannot chose a new target to an attack power.

I would have thought the same to a shift. Dragon shift to J4, Battlemind interrupt and take the place, Shift have no longer a valid target, you lose that shift. Instead of shifting N squares, now you have N-1 squares left and you haven't moved yet. In that case the dragon would have to stay where he is.

renau1g

First Post
So Blurred Step's been errata'd in July and the situation is pretty clear, to the detriment of Calisto

Blurred Step
Page 44: In the Action Type entry, replace “Opportunity Action” with “Free Action (Special).” At the bottom of the power, add the following line: “Special: You can use this power only once per turn.” This change updates the power to reflect the original intent: A battlemind should be able to shift after the triggering enemy shifts. A battlemind should not be shifting as an opportunity action, which precedes the triggering enemy’s shift.

Velmont

First Post
Ok, I think we can forget this thread, the Compedium is not up to date, and the errata state Blurred Step is now a free action that can be taken after the shift happen.

Too bad, I like the idea of the Battlemind stepping in front of the enemy and telling him "Can I see you id cards please!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases