who can research new spells?

demon_jr

First Post
based on my readings of the DMG, PHB, and Tome and Blood, i have come to the conclusion that any spellcaster, either divine or arcane, can research a new spell, as long as they have at least 1 rank in spellcraft.

that being the case, say a paladin that can cast 1st level spells has 1 rank in spellcraft. can this paladin research spells and if so, what types of spells could this paladin theoretically create?

in another case, take the prestige class of the holy liberator, which has a much much smaller and specialized spell list than the paladin. what kinds of spells could the holy liberator create, since the spell list is so small and specialized.

i am more interested in what the holy liberator can create since that is the character i have. i included the paladin, since that core class is fairly similar to the holy liberator.

:)

apsuman

First Post
For the paladin researching spells,

use other first level divine spells as a guideline.

also, look at level zero wizard/sorcerer spells. Disrupt undead is a good choice. finally, some first level arcane spells might be useful, while I would not let a paladin have a shield spell just like a sorcerer, i might let them have a "divine shield" that grants a +4 or +5 to AC and even then it might be a second level paladin spell. True strike also seems like a worthwhile paladin spell.

g!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases