Cross Pollination Wackiness

Serienna

First Post
I suppose this is more directed at Krusty because I remember he mentioned having his deific characters stumble into other campaign settings, but anyone care to share their stories about their mind bogglingly (as opposed to mere mortally) powerful characters being thrown into some wacky parralel universe?

I ask simply because out of nowhere today the idea popped into my head if a bunch of UK's lesser gods just happened to land in a Star Wars campaign setting, just how wacky that might end up being.

What would 'The Force' portfolio be like anyway? Would a demiurge BECOME the Force?? :p

paradox42

First Post
Not to toot my own horn, but I already have (at some length). My campaign and its cosmology were practically built on the sort of cross-pollination you're talking about.

Though I must admit, I never had my party enter the Star Wars setting. They knew where it was, but never had a reason to go there.

Ahoy there Serienna! :)

Serienna said:
I suppose this is more directed at Krusty because I remember he mentioned having his deific characters stumble into other campaign settings, but anyone care to share their stories about their mind bogglingly (as opposed to mere mortally) powerful characters being thrown into some wacky parralel universe?

The way we worked this it didn't have to be a parallel universe, it was just a different planet. Different planets having different physical and magic factors.

Higher physical factor means bullets would do lots more damage (on the website I explained this by contrasting the Japanese Godzilla movies with the American one).

Japanese Godzilla shrugs off everything while American Godzilla is killed with two rockets from a fighter jet.

I ask simply because out of nowhere today the idea popped into my head if a bunch of UK's lesser gods just happened to land in a Star Wars campaign setting, just how wacky that might end up being.

We 'crossed over' Cyberpunk 2020 and Star Trek (TNG). We also had Terminator type bounty hunters/space police.

We never crossed over into Star Wars (though we did also play the Star Wars RPG), however, his race the Eldren (Wizard-Psionicists) were a lot like the Jedi, or more specifically alien Force Users. The only one who wasn't a Wizard-Psionicist was a Psionics immune 40th level Fighter with a forceblade called Khelwed (IIRC). Doomstar would have been a bit like an Uber-Palpatine. We also had an Eldren 'Star Destroyer' buried on the planets mysterious southern continent.

I once loaned Simon some videogame magazine which was detailing Mortal Kombat II and he converted them all into D&D villains (working for the Sword Gods of Michael Moorcock's books).

He also used the Kryomek race (which I think were an 'Alien' homage) in some capacity, but I never got to encounter them. I was always planning to use the Eldren Star Destroyer to take on the Kryomek Emperor who was almost as big as a planet.

What would 'The Force' portfolio be like anyway? Would a demiurge BECOME the Force?? :p

The Force to me always sounded like Psionics, so its origins might hail from the Far Realm...Dimension of Thought.

Serienna

First Post
Ahoy there Serienna! :)

The way we worked this it didn't have to be a parallel universe, it was just a different planet. Different planets having different physical and magic factors.

Higher physical factor means bullets would do lots more damage (on the website I explained this by contrasting the Japanese Godzilla movies with the American one).

Japanese Godzilla shrugs off everything while American Godzilla is killed with two rockets from a fighter jet.

We 'crossed over' Cyberpunk 2020 and Star Trek (TNG). We also had Terminator type bounty hunters/space police.

We never crossed over into Star Wars (though we did also play the Star Wars RPG), however, his race the Eldren (Wizard-Psionicists) were a lot like the Jedi, or more specifically alien Force Users. The only one who wasn't a Wizard-Psionicist was a Psionics immune 40th level Fighter with a forceblade called Khelwed (IIRC). Doomstar would have been a bit like an Uber-Palpatine. We also had an Eldren 'Star Destroyer' buried on the planets mysterious southern continent.

I once loaned Simon some videogame magazine which was detailing Mortal Kombat II and he converted them all into D&D villains (working for the Sword Gods of Michael Moorcock's books).

He also used the Kryomek race (which I think were an 'Alien' homage) in some capacity, but I never got to encounter them. I was always planning to use the Eldren Star Destroyer to take on the Kryomek Emperor who was almost as big as a planet.

The Force to me always sounded like Psionics, so its origins might hail from the Far Realm...Dimension of Thought.

Those are fantastic ideas. I love the idea of short cross-pollination campaigns personally and currently I'm at the conceptual stages of building one.

Star Trek! How did your lowly gods deal with the omnipotent Q?
What would Q classify as in your ranking system? And what about their ability to completely rewrite reality?

Serienna said:
Those are fantastic ideas. I love the idea of short cross-pollination campaigns personally and currently I'm at the conceptual stages of building one.

Good luck with that.

The real impetus behind the world-hopping was to gather new worshippers. Simon (the DM) had lots of different RPGs and settings and we'd always try and use the material in some capacity even if it wasn't D&D.

So the general idea was that there would be some problem somewhere and Thrin (or other PCs) would go in and sort it out.

- On Oerth, Thrin defeated a Draeden (with the help of the Norse Pantheon and a Stone of Amplification wrested from the Cult of Incabulos...that was a series of epic fights)
- On Nehwon, I remember multiple adventures helping Ninguable and at least one excursion against the Gods of Lanhkmar).
- On Mystara, Thrin tried to supplant the main Thyatian (war) goddess. That didn't go well, although I maintain she got lucky. Thrin was captured and had to be bailed out by the Norse Pantheon.

Lots of dealings with Graz'zt (Thrin's uncle). We sort of had a Thrin = Luke Skywalker, Graz'zt = Darth Vader thing going on with Thrin always trying to turn him to good (the two couldn't fight each other because of a truce...we'd been battling for years before that though).

Lots of dealings with the Devils (Mephisto in particular), where Thrin offered to help him defeat Asmodeus in return for a Layer of Hell. Of course Thrin was captured by Mephisto (I let my guard down in that encounter...I blame the fact that it was the first time I met Simon's wife to be that day). Again had to be ransomed, I think Mammon and Co. fleeced me for about 50 million that time.

Aiding Doomstar against the Moorcockian Sword Gods and the other Eldren.

...I think we had about a dozen worlds all in. I'd need to look up all the details.

For instance the Cyberpunk 2020 adventures came about when someone stole the Sword of Kas (very powerful in our Campaign) from Odin's vault. The cultprit Dimension jumped to the Cyberpunk 2020 world where they became a serial killer. So Odin sent Thrin in to get it back.

Part One: Initially appeared in a brawl between police and some cyber criminals, got arrested, and released to track down a serial killer: who had the Sword of Kas, he had built up a large cult following. During this time I had several run ins with the Arasaka Corporation (weapon manufacturer who sort of owned the police in the US) and things didn't go so well (they wanted the sword too). Had to deal with power-armoured soldiers but took them out and held one of their employees prisoner (In Asgard - since they'd just have got him released from jail).

Anyway, managed to find and slay the serial killer and take the sword but there was an army of cultists to take on. Unwittingly Thrin used the Sword of Kas to slay them all and as a result was possessed by the sword and turned to Chaotic Evil with one mission...to kill Odin (for keeping the sword locked up all those years). Got back to Asgard and fought against Tyr and Odin who double-teamed Thrin in an Anti-Magic Shell and managed to subdue him long enough to get a Helm of Opposite Alignment on him, then drop the AMS.

Part Two: Arasaka aided by a Dimension jumping Alien managed to get half a dozen soldiers kitted out in state of the art powered armour to gatecrash Thrin's home realm in Asgard (they could lock-on because I had their executive prisoner). These things were massively powerful and caught Thrin napping (literally...in bed with Reesha*). Thrin didn't have his full gear on but these things were mega tough as I recall, fitted with repeating grenade launchers I think Thrin was down to about 50% hp in one round. Had no option to teleport out, get my gear and take them out one at a time. But they had left by then.

*aka Mrs. Thrin, a Barbarian Warrior Princess Hero-deity (a bit like Red Sonja).

Part Three: Went back to cultivate some worshippers. Had an appearance on Oprah, getting worshipped by the Aryan Brotherhood (White Supremacists) which Lawful Good Thrin tried to turn to good. Negotiated with Arasaka swopping my Eldren Tech (PL 9 to their PL 6 stuff) for gold bullion - unfortunately for them we had booby trapped the stuff with micro-incendiaries and after the deal was done Thrin paid them back fro trying to kill me. Thrin also teamed up with the SAS, and got betrayed by the British Government and ambushed by Borg'ed out Russian Mercs (the leader of which was played by another PC)...Thrin was killed (and sent back to Asgard).

Still, fun times.

Star Trek! How did your lowly gods deal with the omnipotent Q?

Sadly we never encountered him (IIRC). Thrin encountered the crew of the Enterprise: D, but I can't remember the specifics of that adventure, may have involved Time Travel.

What would Q classify as in your ranking system? And what about their ability to completely rewrite reality?

I think you could argue they should be Time Lords perhaps.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Wich campaign systems my group crossed ?

Starting from Fearun (Where/How/What they did):
-Middle Earth - Dimensional Tear- Thrown everything upside down. Enough to say that Sauron was saved, gained body, and western human kingdoms met a nasty dragon PC. Elves were decimated, especially from Rivendell and Galadriel's forest. Wood Elves that lived near Smaug's lair survived and were removed back to the orginal place from wich elves awekened for the first time. Along with their whole fortress and surrounding woodlands. Haradrim followed Prophet and betrayed Sauron, but their army got decimated by PC's. Sauron fled Middle Earth after PC's raised Thangonodrim from the sea causing massive earthquakes. They unburied Utumno too. PC's killed the silmaril bearer, and found one lost to the sea. They invaded immortal realms and freed Melkor from his prison. One of the PC's built hidden shrine to demon-lord Dagon under Shrie. Dragon PC gathered local dragons and taught them to cooperate. By force. As finishing touch they relased Godzilla and another giant monster there. For time begin Melkor and Sauron are in Fearunian space ... but Sauron keeps very low profile, in fear of his "allies", and Melkor is in coma.

Earth - Interdimensional Transportation - Generally just made some secret trades with US Army, gave the general who dealt with them enough dirt on CIA so they won't mess with them. One PC, Ascendant Slaad Lord of Life, created unwittingly a cult around itself after calling several call girls for private party and curing one of cancer and drug addiction. Something along "I saw angel of God and felt calling !"

Party wizard was given computer to read all books he was allowed to read ... and this was a mistake, especially with Internet acess. Go figure what happened after he was taught basics. Slaad guest starred in commando training and complained a lot about how easy he went on them. Marines didn't liked it but wizard smooth talked things over. Slaad sold them some of it's Chaos Spittle for collection of "Playboys". Party wizard made arrangment to buy 80 thousand tons of high quality steel.

Warcraft - Interdimensional Travel - Something caused there equivalent of nuclear winter and Lich King was happy. PC's helped the ironforge dwarves repel the undead onslaught, party wizard was fascinated with goblin technology and hired them to build him flying battleship-city. Party's fighter went looking for allies against the undead hordes and stumbled on Blackrock Mountain and it's inhabitants. Black Dragon Nefarian agreed to ally with Ironforge Alliance, wich included Ventrue Co goblin cartel who became prioritized sell/buy partner. Dark Horde orcs had some objections until party's fighter proved his worth, in short he beaten silly all who oposed him and gave them food. With the help of Elven Druids, goblins started creating cave farms filled with artificial sunlight. PC's negotiated with Naga non-agression pact and fishing issues. Lich King sent forces, wich were pushed back and Iron Allies decimated them again and again. Magic kingdom of Dalaran was relased from under the undead siege, and party wizard had shock of his life after meeting his identical "twin" from local universe. Allied forces built gigantic Maginot Line like fortress, PC's messed with main Lich King's base in the region of Stratholme sinkink several flying pyramids and causing lava eruption in the ruins of the city. That bought them enough time to finish preparations with Iron Wall Fortress. They built city and populated it with people from Fearun, refugees from Dragonrage, and made Nefarian the Black Dragon spiritual patron of the city. Vain drake was pleased inmensely with his sudden popularity among the lesser beings.

Rokugan - Messed Up Spell-Coicidience - They had a glimpse of some Kara-Tur - looking warriors fighting against some small goblinoids. Didn't pursued the topic.

Star Trek - Accident - One of PC's, goblin enginner, ended up on some unhospitable volcano-planet and had only 48 hours of oxygen left and enough fuel for his mecha-suit for a week. For 3 weeks was building rocket from scratch, and fled the planet only to witness skirmish between Borg and Federation fleet. Instantly went after the junk left after destroyed ships.

Warhammer - messed Interdimensional Gate Spell - Party's Dragon managed to land in the Chaos Wastes and quickly fled from rampaging hordes of Chaos Warriors and monsters killing each other in the name of Khorne.

Warhammer 40,000 - Accident - One of PC's after falling into interdimensional rift ended up between charging armies of Space Marines and Orks. Being fairly powerfull at this time, he managed to survive and even pushed back both forces from himself. And then Nekron came and wiped the whole place with heavy ordnance from orbit. PC managed to steal piece of Nekron Monolith before rest of party managed to track him down and summon him back home.

At least this is what I remember.:blush:

Hey Rikandur mate! :)

Out of curiousity when you crossed over into the Warcraft world did you use the d20 Warcraft Bestiary book? I remember thinking it looked good but I never picked it up.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Jup, we always had to adjust to local laws of physics & magic. In Warcraft, for example, our Black Dragon buddy started spewing flame and lost his spellcasting. And our wizard had to deal with magic corruption from high level spells. And some things were easier to us with certain things, for example Warcraft Technology rules. Damn Tinker complained constatly about lacking this and that, and why are we all in constant hurry.

In low magic system like Middle Earth they all suddenly had to deal with even more drastic changes. Our Dragon buddy had to deal with Achilles Heel like weakness, a'la Smaug, and the fact that his belly suddenly lost all scales. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads