Locking Garrote Finessable??

Pharaun

First Post
My group and I are argueing over the issue of a locking garrote being able to have the Weapon Finesse feat applied to it. Under the Weapon Finesse feat, it states you choose one light weapon. A light weapon by definition is a weapon one or more size catagories smaller. Locking Garrote is a Small weapon that appears in Song and Silence. So, by those parameters, it would be Finessable. Now in the Benefits section of the Weapon Finesse feat, it states that the second hand is used for balance, so if you use a shield in your second hand, you must apply the shields Armor Check Penalty. The locking garrote is a two handed weapon.

The arguement is

1) It should be Finessable because it is a light weapon.

2) Because you have to use two hands, you do not get your second hand for balance, there by loosing the ability to use it with finesse.

For Reference, here is the feat word for word from the book.

Weapon Finesse

You are especially skilled at using a certain weapon, one that can benefit as much from Dexterity as from Strength. Choose one light weapon. Alternatively, you can choose a rapier, provided you can use it one handed, or a spiked chain, provided you're at least Medium-size.

Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, bas attack bonus +1 or higher.
Benefit: With the selected weapon, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. Since you need your second hand for balance, if you carry a shield, apply the shield's armor check penalty to your attack rolls.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new weapon.

Please let me know what you all think.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It doesn't say you can't use Weapon Finesse with a shield... it just says you apply the shield's ACP to your attacks if you do.

So if you're worried about it, just apply the garrote's ACP :D

(I don't believe there's a problem using a finessed shortsword in each hand, for example - it's a shield-specific penalty.)

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases