[Living Pathfinder]Frog Hunt

Vertexx69

First Post
Willow, HP: 9/9, AC: 19/12T/16FF, Saves: 3F/2R/6W, LL Vision
Boon, HP: 16+1/16, AC 17/13T/14FF, Saves: 4F/6R/2W, LL Vision, Scent

Boon creeps out among the reeds and pools of stagnant water, disappearing from the view of the rest of the unsure party. (stealth) The slightly moving reeds the only sign that the large, striped predator is present at all, trailing a large, if meandering, circular path about 30 yards out. (aid another)

Willow positions the others at key choke points then treads quietly out into the reeds herself, her own booted feet vanishing beneath the fetid water between tall clumps of marsh vegetation. Then Boon leaps from his hiding place with a mighty roar without warning, moving swiftly through the dense underbrush in a zigzag pattern driving as many small prey animals before him as he can. Willow uses the natural growth patterns of the vegetation to predict where the flushed frogs will pass through to escape, where she waits to pounce and capture as many as she can. (Survival) The druid uses the tiny game trails that the areas inhabitants have developed over generations to decide where the members of the party have been placed. The paths being the most likely directions the animals will retreat down to avoid the hunter closing in them from the other direction. (Survival)

[sblock=Spell List]Orisons: Create Water, Light, Virtue
1st lvl: Cure Light Wounds, Speak with Animals[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Is that the way you want the posts? I had gotten the same impression as Jkason. That we would describe what our characters were doing over the course of several posts each, and then you would determine how many rolls those descriptions merited. I was just setting up Boon's assist action before my own first survival check worthy post. But if you only intended to get a couple paragraph long posts from each person, we need to know that. I figured it would be a skill challenge that led to a couple of encounters with some monstrous frogs and maybe a clue about some kind of future adventure so I was setting the stage, as it were.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Frog hunting starts slow: despite hearing abundant numbers of frogs they are difficult to find even with Elros pointing out hiding places. Ta-Am-Ath particularly finds the marshland difficult at first, alien as it is from his homeland but he soon finds that staying perfectly still and snatching them up with a lightning rapidity that mimics the crane is a highly successful tactic. Once he has a frog in sight his quickness in snatching them up can hardly be beat.

As the evening wears on even though the adventurers feel the dampness more and more through their boots and become more tired the hunting becomes easier as the frogs come out from their hiding places to feed and mate revealing their positions with an ever increasing chorus of croaks. Nathan’s magics take on greater importance in the dimming light as the bright orange almost seems to glow drawing the eye and making it easier for others to find the frogs.

Elros’ knowledge of the marshes and wildlife is indispensible and his skill at finding and catching frogs is unparalleled by any except Willow. Willow seems to tirelessly direct Boon through the marsh and the two working together result in more wriggling frogs in everyone’s bags. Even Kanli who had the slowest start amongst the group ends up with a hefty bag of croakers.

There is only the faintest of orange glows behind the distant dark mass of the city when the group finally thinks it has enough frogs for Zitteaux. Though it is dark the moon is bright and the group has only a little difficulty trudging through the boggy land towards the bright lantern glowing like a star and marking the waiting boat. Still some distance from their transport Nathan, skirting one of the numerous deep pools, stumbles over a protruding branch that snaps when he steps on it. Broken and jagged ends gleam in the moonlight.

(Please add a Perception check to your next post).

[sblock=OOC]The group has earned/made enough successful checks to achieve a victorious result for the challenge. When there was no roll linked I chose more rolls over higher modifiers but added as many modifiers to those rolls as I could reasonably add with the descriptions provided. I played pretty fast and loose with the modifiers so please don't ask me to provide more detail on what sort of modifiers I applied. This is how I broke down the posts.
Post #5 (Ta-Am-Ath) 1 failed Perception check.
Post #7 (Nathan) 1 failed Perception check.
Post #10 (Elros) 1 successful Survival check.
Post #12 (Elros) 2 successful Survival checks.
Post #13 (Nathan) 1 successful Stealth check, 1 failed Stealth check.
Post #15 (Ta-Am-Ath) 1 successful Stealth check, 1 failed Stealth check.
Post #17 (Kanli) 2 failed Survival check, 1 successful Stealth.
Post #21 (Willow) 1 successful Stealth, 2 successful Survival checks

@Vertexx69: Except the lack of die rolls your last post is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I won’t clutter up the game thread with more of what I intended/was thinking. If you’re interested, I’ll post those intentions and the thought process that led there in the Feedback thread.[/sblock]

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
As Nathan falls over, Kanli muses, "Do you think we angered the--no, frogs are members of the Seventeenth Circle, they are beyond the balancing purview of the Granite Heirophant."

He shrugs to himself as he continues to the boat.

1d20-2=2

Vertexx69

First Post
Willow, HP: 9/9, AC: 19/12T/16FF, Saves: 3F/2R/6W, LL Vision
Boon, HP: 16+1/16, AC 17/13T/14FF, Saves: 4F/6R/2W, LL Vision, Scent

Willow pulls a firefly from the pouch at her hip and grinds it into the top of the slender billy-club that hangs from her belt speaking another word in the strange language she spoke before. The top of the weapon catches fire that doesn't seem to burn against the supple body of the young half elf, and she draws the weapon holding it aloft to light the path a bit more (cast Light).

Boon touches his wide black nose to the squirming sack of slimy green and brown frogs that his tiny companion hefts over her delicate shoulder, he then takes several deep wiffs of evening air as he falls back a few paces and takes a long look into the deepening gloom Aid another Perception=17. Willow seems satisfied with the weight of the creaking sack over her hide encased shoulder as she too looks over the swiftly darkening frog-hunting ground Perception=27. She steps lightly around the jagged branch end, drawing it to the attention of those following in her petite footsteps. "No stab self here."

[sblock=Spell List]Orisons: Create Water, Light, Virtue
1st lvl: Cure Light Wounds, Speak with Animals[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Ta-Am-Ath AC 15 (T15, FF12), HP 13/13, F +3,R+4,W+4, CMB +4, CMD 16

"Maybe I can use the today seen frog movements to invent new combat moves... something like a jumping frog style. I would have to adapt the movements to my wider frame... and more powerful moves. More like a Bullfrog Style!" Ta muses as he moves with the others toward the boat, his sack with frogs bound and secure in his hands.

[sblock=ooc]
Ta-Am-Ath
Ta-Am-Ath

Perception (1d20+6=23)

[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Whether it is an odd glimmer of light or an unnatural ripple on the surface of the water of the deep pool Ta-Am-Ath, Willow and Elros all become aware of something large lurking in the dark water about ten feet from the grassy edge along which the party is making their way back to the boat. Kanli, distracted by the metaphysical, doesn't notice yet, nor does Nathan whose attention is drawn to the branch. Nathan, on a second look at the branch, discovers that the branch is a decaying arm the hand of which has been dragged from the muck by his misstep. Something on the hand glints in the light generated by Willow's spell.

Rising up enough that it's head fully breaks the surface of the water is a humanoid creature with a frog-like head, its body still hidden by the deep, boggy water that it crouches in some fifteen feet from Nathan, the closest party member. The creature's neck swells with an intake of air and as its mouth cracks open a deep croak rumbles out, vibrates your very bones and fills you with a welling fear.

After the rumbling croak fades away another froggish creature, still mostly concealed in the deep water, begins to surface.
[sblock=Knowledge: Local DC 7]The creature is a Boggard, a humanoid, fairly common in the deep marshlands farther east, with frog-like features. Like a frog, the Boggard has a long, sticky tongue.[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Make a DC13 Will save. If failed: Shaken: -2 on attacks, saves, and other checks.
Roll Initiative. (Boggard Init: 1d20-1=11). The Boggard croaks on his initiative so your actions may go before his.
Kanli and Nathan are Unaware and cannot act in the surprise round.
Elros, Ta-Am-Ath, Willow and Boon can take a single move or standard action.
Don't worry about posting in initiative order; I'll sort it out when I post results of actions and ask for clarification/new actions if something happens to invalidate your action.
The party is on fairly solid ground. The monsters are in deep bog and there is ten feet of shallow bog between them and the party.
I'm uncertain about party order. Based on in-post description all we have for certain is that Willow is behind Nathan. I would presume that Willow and Boon are serving as rear guard and that Elros is leading. That leaves Kanli, Nathan & Ta-Am-Ath somewhere in the middle. Feel free to clarify your position in your posts and we'll work with it. The Boggard is attacking closer to the rear of the party; Nathan is likely 15' away, Elros closer to 25-30' away from the monster. I'm also presuming, due to tiredness and the difficulty of traversing the marsh that the party has spread out just a little and that there is five feet between each of the party members.[/sblock]

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Elros, about 30 feet away from the Boggard springs to action and takes a shot at the large frog creature, taking aim with his bow at the short distance. He is careful not to hit any of his fellow teammates.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Initiative: 1d20+4=20
Bow Attack: 1d20+6=14
Bow damage (if applicable): 1d8+1=6[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stat Block]
HP: 12/12
AC: 14, Touch 14, Flat Footed 10
Initiative: +4
CMB: +3
CMD: 17
Fort: +3
Ref: +4
Will +0, +2 vs. enchantment spells and effects
Speed 30'

Longbow (ranged): +5 = +1(BAB) + 4 (Stat) (1d8)X3 Range: 100', +1 atk and dmg within 30'

Longsword: +3 = +1(BAB) + 2 (Stat) (1d8+2)19-20 X2

Immune to Sleep spells
Low-Light Vision
Perception +2[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Ta-Am-Ath AC 15 (T15, FF12), HP 13/13, F +3,R+4,W+4, CMB +4, CMD 16

Ta's mindconditioning and training wins against his sudden fear. In his mind forms a daring attack as he tries to judge the distance...

[sblock=ooc]
Ta-Am-Ath
Ta-Am-Ath

Will save (1d20+4=14)
Initiative (1d20+2=15)

Is Ta near enough for a partial charge? I would like to do a jump as part of my move to clear the last 10 ft and then use a flying kick (unarmed strike) to also deliver a stunning attempt. In theory possible?[/sblock]

Remove ads