New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Cleric Powers

Following has been added to first post

And last because there are so many and nobody asked me for them, Cleric Powers.

Cleric Utility:
  • Healing Word: as 4e
Cleric Attack 1 At-Will: (note: damage given instead of (W) because player could not choose weapon)
  • Blessing of Wrath: Melee, vs AC, d8+WIS, Effect: one ally within 5 gains (CON) bonus to damage against target.
  • Blessing of Battle: Melee, vs AC, d8+WIS, Effect: you or 1 ally in 5 gains resist (CON) to all damage
  • Storm Hammer: Melee, vs FORT, d8+WIS, Special: When charging can be used in plaace of melee basic attack.
  • Brand of the Sun: Melee, vs AC, d8+WIS, Effect: You and each ally in 5 gain 2 temp HP
Cleric Attack 1 Encounter:
  • Echoes of Thunder: Melee, vs AC, 2d8+WIS, Effect: Whenever you or ally hits target in next turn attack deals 3 extra damage
  • Sun Burst: Close burst 1, Target enemies, vs WILL, d8, Effect: you and allies in burst gain 5 temp HP and can make saves
Cleric Utility 1 Encounter:
  • Storm Surge: Minor, Close burst 2, you or ally in burst, first hit within turn does 4 extra damage
  • Soothing Light: minor, close burst 2, you or ally, target makes save with +2
Cleric Attack 1 Daily:
  • Nimbus of Holy Shielding: Close burst 2, Target each enemy, vs WILL, d10+WIS, Effect: Allies in 2 gain +2 to all defenses encounter
  • Lesser Aspect of Wrath: Melee, vs AC, d8+WIS, Effect: you gain 10 temp HP, +1 to attacks, all enemies that end adjacent take (CON) damage for encounter
  • Levy of Judgement: Melee, vs AC, 2d8+WIS, Miss 1/2, Effect: once during encounter one ally missing target, you can use free action to allow ally to reroll.
Cleric Utility 2 Daily:
  • Bless: minor, close burst 20, you and allies, Effect: +1 to attacks for encounter.
  • Shield of Faith: minor, close burst 5, you and allies, Effect: +2 to AC for encounter
  • Resurgent Strength: minor, close burst 3, you or one ally, target spends healing surge and target gains +4 to damage for turn.

Last edited:

YRUSirius

First Post
Very good read, thanks.

It's interesting; we clearly get powers for the storm warpriest, the sun warpriest, the illusionist mage, evocation mage and enchantment mage. The fighter and rogue as the simple classes only get a handful of simple powers.

Sorry if the following has already been answered, but do the players get to chose their powers (sun or storm, evocation or illusion etc) or their "build" and effectively getting their pre-build set of powers?

-YRUSirius

nnms

First Post
From Mearl's new article:
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Powers, Implements, Feats ...)

Mike Mearls wrote:
Human characters get the option to choose from either selecting an at-will attack power from their class (if the class and the type they choose have them) or taking a new power called heroic effort.

Finally, as you’ve seen in earlier previews, many classes in the Essentials products rely on basic attacks. The Melee Training feat allows a character to use any ability to modify such attacks. That feat has been updated so that it provides the new ability’s full bonus to attack rolls but only half to damage rolls. Melee Training offers its intended flexibility in creating characters without becoming a default choice.

For instance, a slayer who uses Melee Training to attack with Dexterity matches a Strength-based slayer in damage while gaining superior mobility by relying on light armor. A knight who opts to attack with Constitution gives up some damage but has more hit points and healing surges. Such characters are viable without becoming clearly better than ones without Melee Training, at the expense of using up a feat slot.

nnms

First Post
Sorry if the following has already been answered, but do the players get to chose their powers (sun or storm, evocation or illusion etc) or their "build" and effectively getting their pre-build set of powers?

For the wizard, you choose in the solo-adventure whether you want to concentrate on one target (the goblin archer) or use a spell that blasts multiple enemies. If you choose the latter, you go to a section where you then pick between Stone Blood and Freezing Burst, then you attack the goblins with it. If you choose the former... I don't remember.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. So far, I haven't shared the concerns of the people shouting about how Essentials characters with "classic" feats are going to be broken. But the dwarf may change that. A lot of the dwarven fighter feats made them fighters on par with the +Str races; now added on top of a +2 Str, dwarves may become the no-brainer choice for Strength-based melee characters.

But I trust the designers to take something like that into account. I'm interested in seeing the specifics of what they've done.

Yeah, this is the level of 'incompatibility' if you will between old and new :(. The nerfing of Melee Training is another one. What was a perfectly good feat is now practically worthless for existing 4e classes (in most cases) due to the mismatch in mechanics with Essentials classes.

It will be interesting to see how many racial feats end up getting whacked due to the changes in the ability score options. It isn't just dwarves either. The unfortunate part of this is it hits existing players that have now suddenly found themselves with sub-optimal stat distribution WRT their Essentials versions.

Obviously you can ignore a lot of errata and play your existing characters as if Essentials never existed, but it's pretty annoying if you rely on CB (and at this point almost everyone does).

Ah well. The next errata is going to displease a lot of people. But hey, its exactly the same game as ever! Hmmmm. Probably all improvements in the long run but I think Mike and crew are going to need some asbestos outer garments...

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Level 1 dragon

Started looking at the monsters in the Dungeon Master's Book. The Fledgling Black Dragon is a level 2 solo lurker. The Fledgling White Dragon is a level 1 solo brute! Both are large.

The nerfing of Melee Training is another one. What was a perfectly good feat is now practically worthless for existing 4e classes (in most cases) due to the mismatch in mechanics with Essentials classes.

See, I wouldn't go that far at all. It's still a perfectly good feat. It's not as good, but honestly, even before Essentials, it was a borderline no-brainer for certain builds.

Don't get me wrong, I do wish there was a way around the massive feat-nerf that's probably coming, if only because I know it's going to upset a bunch of people. But I don't think Melee Training is "practically worthless" at all. I'm far more concerned about the possible impact of the many race-specific feats than I am the change to MT.

nnms

First Post
I like that the fledgelings are large. I never liked the medium sized "wyrmlings" as the low level dragons.

Remove ads