New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

Korgoth

First Post
Okay, this is quite literally the coolest thing I've seen in 4e. If Essentials can bring this level of awesome with nothing more than a couple of keywords and a badass description?

SOLD.

It really is totally cool. No more will I get a passing annoyance from [no need to name names, is there?]'s "shaking your fist at the clouds" smack talk. No, that's all water under the bridge now.

My 1st level wizard can turn you into a frikkin toad. All is forgiven.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Oh, a little question, thalmin (or anybody else who get his or her hands on a red box already), if it's no bother: Do power cards still look the same as before or have they changed the design?

Cheers, LT.

Klaus

First Post
Oh, a little question, thalmin (or anybody else who get his or her hands on a red box already), if it's no bother: Do power cards still look the same as before or have they changed the design?

Cheers, LT.
Seems they've changed the design a bit and made them smaller than the power cards that came with earlier 4e minis.

Falstaff

First Post
Okay, this is quite literally the coolest thing I've seen in 4e. If Essentials can bring this level of awesome with nothing more than a couple of keywords and a badass description?

SOLD.

Whoa, this is interesting. Am I reading that power right? You are a toad until you make your save? Can someone just stomp on you and kill you?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Slimy Transmutation: range 10, vs FORT, Target turns into tiny toad (save ends), Miss: target is toad 1 turn, Effect: target dazed can only move or shift, damage ends.

Whoa, this is interesting. Am I reading that power right? You are a toad until you make your save? Can someone just stomp on you and kill you?
I don't think so. The power card said the target's gear transforms with it, but said nothing about stats or HP, though the default rules on polymorph would indicate target keeps stats and HP.
The power does state save ends and DAMAGE ends, so that would need to be a very powerful stomp.

EDIT: And you would need to be careful about getting warts, too.

Klaus

First Post
No. As soon as you take any sort of damage, you revert back. So you might start squeezing a toad and suddenly be stepping on an ogre.

Falstaff

First Post
I don't think so. The power card said the target's gear transforms with it, but said nothing about stats or HP, though the default rules on polymorph would indicate target keeps stats and HP.
The power does state save ends and DAMAGE ends, so that would need to be a very powerful stomp.

EDIT: And you would need to be careful about getting warts, too.

Ahh, I wasn't paying attention to the damage ends part. Thanks. I love this power, awesome.

jbear

First Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about this. So far, I haven't shared the concerns of the people shouting about how Essentials characters with "classic" feats are going to be broken. But the dwarf may change that. A lot of the dwarven fighter feats made them fighters on par with the +Str races; now added on top of a +2 Str, dwarves may become the no-brainer choice for Strength-based melee characters.

But I trust the designers to take something like that into account. I'm interested in seeing the specifics of what they've done.
Wouldn't the Dwarven Weapon Training feat be brought into line if it gave the damage bonus and proficiency with MILITARY hammers and axes. This would be right in line with the Goliath 2 handed weapon feat. It's the access to the superior weapons + damage that really puts the dwarven feat out of the ball park. That seems like a pretty minor adjustment to have to make.

Remove ads