New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

YRUSirius

First Post
The great thing about the new power cards is the infinitely better layout. Just some simple things for example; designated space to fill in the specific modifiers. This is as easy to read as the power layout in the books. The old power cards layout wasn't that clean and elegant.

-YRUSirius

Following has been added to first post:

Only the Wizard and Cleric have Daily Powers.

Rogue Powers:
  • Bump and Run; At-Will 1, melee, regular attack and damage plus move target 1 square; move up to half speed.
  • Deft Strike; At-Will 1, melee, move up to 2 squares before your attack, regular attack and damge
  • Defensive Strike; At-Will 1, melee, normal attack and damage, +1 to all defenses
  • Acrobatic Maneuver; Utility At-Will Move Action, move 1+STR mod, gain +4 to all defenses on this move, can move through enemy-occupied spaces.
  • Backstab; Utility Encounter, Free action, +3 bonus to attack, used only on combat advantage
  • Sudden Leap; Utility 2, Minor Encounter, Leap through the air, landing up to 1/2 movement away. Athletics trained req.
  • Tumble; Utility 2, Move Encounter, Shift half speed. Acrobatics trained req.

So the Deft Strike is melee only in the red box, not melee or ranged as it is in the players handbook?

nnms

First Post
The critical hits guys have an actual play of the redbox in the Sagamore Ballroom at GenCon.

I haven't listened yet so I don't even know about the sound quality.

There's a ton o background sound, but you can still hear everyone. Eventually I got used to the noise and tuned it out.

Learned something interesting though.

The magic missile in the red box is an older version. They have since changed it to be one target.

So what's the best approach to take for a Mage that starts with Red Box but then continues on with Heroes of the Fallen Lands past level 2? Should I make it 1 target from the get go, let it be 2 targets forever or let it be two targets until the player semi-rebuilds their character to work out of Heroes of the Fallen Lands?

I must admit that the last options seems a bit sucky. Congratulations, you've gained a level! Now your power is worse.

davethegame

Explorer
The magic missile in the red box is an older version. They have since changed it to be one target.

So what's the best approach to take for a Mage that starts with Red Box but then continues on with Heroes of the Fallen Lands past level 2? Should I make it 1 target from the get go, let it be 2 targets forever or let it be two targets until the player semi-rebuilds their character to work out of Heroes of the Fallen Lands?

I must admit that the last options seems a bit sucky. Congratulations, you've gained a level! Now your power is worse.

Actually, the sense I got was that it was wrong only on those character sheets at the show, not necessarily the final printed product. I can check with someone who has a Red Box to be sure.

Remove ads