New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
What does it say on "next steps"?

Does it mention other essentials products, the 2008 books, something we haven't heard about?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
It looks like these are the same as in the 2008 Game Starter Set. Can you confirm that? I can list them for you if you don't have a reference handy.
My 2008 Starter set isn't handy, but these do have a 2010 Copyright.
[sblock]The large are Black and White Dragons and a Warhorse, reverse a Hulking Zombie, Dire Wolf, andGelatinous Cube[/sblock]

JohnSnow

Hero
Different. The old ones were a white dragon, black dragon, and rage drake, reversing a dire wolf, warhorse, and gelatinous cube.

Thalmin: So it includes an adventure that levels you up to 2nd, and the powers for that, but NOT those for going up to 3rd?

I suppose that's okay, but I think 3 levels would've been better.

Dislike.:(

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The adventure isn't "In Search of the Unknown" by any chance? ;)

The pick-a-path character generation is an intriguing idea. I suspect the class choice will give the genuinely new player a stilted view of the game, though. If they'd stuck with the PH classes, it wouldn't matter what class you picked, you'd still be getting a clear idea of how the game worked in the most basic mechanical sense, for all classes.

Now that the classes have been differentiated down to basic mechanics... I don't know, it seems like that will make it harder on /new/ players. Returning players, OTOH, will probably want to pick options and investigate all the classes - and get little thrills from the familiarity of the 'Thief' and 'Mage' (and wonder where 'Fighting Man' went - too sexist, I guess) - which makes the pick-a-path format less than ideal.

It's pointless second-guessing at this point, but I suspect the Red Box would have been better released as an 'Anniversary Special' targetted explicitly and entirely at returning players.

A product to attrack genuinely new players would have been good, too, of course, but probably shouldn't have been released at the same time, let alone been the same product. Resources are limitted, though, and there's the potential for confusion. D&D was plenty confusing when I was a kid, there were the old sets, the Basic Set, the 'Advanced' books (that weren't actually the next step after 'basic'), and all sorts of suplements, TSR & third party, that didn't bother specifying which of the three versions of the game they were for...

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Power Cards

Following has been added to first post:

Just noticed 4 of the cards are Second Wind.

Fighter Cards:
  • Poised Assault: At-Will Stance (+1 to melee weapon attack)
  • Battle Fury: At-Will Stance (+2 to weapon damage)
  • Power Strike: Encounter Free Action (extra 1W to damage triggered by successful hit)
  • Minor Resurgence: Utility 2 Encounter Minor (gain 5 temp HP if bloodied) (Prereq Endurance trained)
  • Sudden Sprint: Utility 2 Encounter Minor (move up to CON mod and end up adjacent to enemy) (Prereq Athletics trained)

Last edited:

Remove ads