I need more planes!!!

Terraism

Explorer
I *finally* sat down and read the Manual of the Planes cover to cover - and it raised a whole bunch more questions than it answered. With that in mind... what are some of the other books put out over the years with information about them?

How about the gods that are mentioned in there? (Many sidebars say 'if you'd like to use the rest of the pantheon instead of just the one given in the PH...) Where are they from? I don't recognize many of the names - my first guess would be the 'not-so-default' Greyhawk, but many aren't in the Gazeteer.

And - the Hells, the Abyss, and Hades (oh, by the way - the other day a nice discussion about Larvae was going on, and about how they're not mentioned yet in 3E - they're in the section on Hades.) Where can I find information on these places?

In general, what other books should I find to get information? PLEASE say there's ESDs, because I'm cheap... :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
What you want, my friend, is the Planescape material (which I believe does exist as ESDs.) Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, and the original Planescape boxed set. Worth every penny to me, and I paid full price for them.

William Ronald

Explorer
Many of the deities mentioned in the Great Wheel cosmology are in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. You might want to check out some Living Greyhawk sites for information on the deities that are mentioned.

As for the planes, I use real world mythologies. Check out a few books on mythology from the public library for a few good ideas. (I kind of winced at the treatment of some of the planes that were dominated by the Greyhawk deities as I remember the original manual of the planes. Thor and Odin are a lot more interesting than Tritherion or whatever. A god without a myth is like a holy symbol without a faith.)

Attachments

• 10_Driver.jpg
    10_Driver.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 10,726

MythandLore

First Post
Piratecat said:
What you want, my friend, is the Planescape material (which I believe does exist as ESDs.) Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, and the original Planescape boxed set. Worth every penny to me, and I paid full price for them.
Planescape is the way to go if you need more info.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
The second edition Planescape setting focused entirely on the Planes. Try going to WoTC's website and look under the Planescape brand section of D&D ESD section. The Planescape Campaign Setting has some information, and the Planescape Monstrous Compendium gives a good summary of devils, demons, and the larvae trade. The Fires of Dis and In the Abyss are adventures in Hell and the Abyss, respectively.

MythandLore

First Post
Terraism said:
How about the gods that are mentioned in there? (Many sidebars say 'if you'd like to use the rest of the pantheon instead of just the one given in the PH...) Where are they from? I don't recognize many of the names - my first guess would be the 'not-so-default' Greyhawk, but many aren't in the Gazeteer.

The gods are in several old books about it.
But my guess is the 3rd edition The Deities and Demigods will have stuff on it.

A2Z

Explorer
Planescape is definitely the way to go. Most of the important products are available as ESD's now. In fact I'll even give you a link. Enjoy! :)

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
NetBooks of Planes

We have a fairly new NetBook over at the FaNCC dealing with the Planes, as said very new and only currenlty dealing with the description of the Planes. But input from guys answering this post would be much appreciated, as I'm sure you submissions...
You can get to the Message Boards at the front page of ENWorld message boards, under Hosted Sites, we don't have an indivual board for Planes as yet, but I do beleive that is the plan..
Cheers

Lakkett

First Post
Piratecat said:

I also highly recommend The Planewalker's Handbook. A great source of info for players and dms alike.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases