Gates of Firestorm Peak

kiznit

Explorer
I just purchased this module and am very excited about playing it, it is quality Cordell work.

Alas, being a full-time college student, I don't have time to devote to converting it to 3E (not to mention that I have no idea on how to do it), but I'd love it if you'd keep me posted on your work.

The module seems like it would be excellent for using the alienist prestige class from Tome & Blood, and slap a few pseudonatural templates on some of the creatures (and NPCs).

The challenge, though, is that the Duergar use a lot of of their enlarge abilities, and the 3E spell version seems to be nowhere near as powerful as it's detailed in the modules (can you even bump up to Large size with the enlarge spell?).

kiznit said:
The module seems like it would be excellent for using the alienist prestige class from Tome & Blood, and slap a few pseudonatural templates on some of the creatures (and NPCs).
The challenge, though, is that the Duergar use a lot of of their enlarge abilities, and the 3E spell version seems to be nowhere near as powerful as it's detailed in the modules (can you even bump up to Large size with the enlarge spell?).
The problem with doing a d20 license conversion is that you're not allowed to use anything from the splat books --- those aren't OGL.

A 4.5' Dwarf will enlarge to about 6' --- not sufficient to increase reach. Those NPCs will probably not make a lot of difference to the PCs.

On the other hand, when you look at the equipment given to the NPCs, they are more appropriate to 13th level NPCs, so I'm very likely to upgrade those NPCs to 13th level. The spellpoint based spellcasters will get turned into sorcerors, of course. I suspect that by the time I'm done, it'll end up being an adventure for 10th level adventurers.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
I have converted all the monsters that made it into the Monstrous Compendium Annual, if you still want them. I can post here or send you the file, whichever.

Darkmentat

First Post
i've been looking at convering this module i've found the deep spawn in the monsters of Faerun book as well as the gibberling i belive the gibberliing mouther and duergar are in the MM. my one problem with the mod is that there isn't a map that shows any layout for the place.

Taalii

First Post
Sorry for the necro post

I have an old copy of Firestorm Peak. Personally, I don't think it would do as well in 3e, simply because 3e is much less lethal. But that's probably the killer GM in me.

I hate to ask for something with my first post, but...Would anybody happen to have a scan of the maps? I have the module, picked it up at a used bookstore a few years ago, and didn't realize it needs the map. Now I'm running the game, and..yeah. About to enter the gates.

Would anybody be able to help?

Remove ads