Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game -- IC01

Leif

Adventurer
Opening Gambit

You are presently involved in a trade run in the Glisten subsector, aboard your Zhodani Yetsabl
Class Courier (which someone should name straightaway) taking a shipment of medicinal plants from Glisten to Centry in order, hopefully, to arrest the progress of an epidemic that is ravaging the Trotherias** [this is both the singular and the plural], the very tasty crab-like beasts of Centry that are about the size of a medium-sized dog. They are very domesticated and raised on mid-sized ranches. (They're also quite ugly, but when you crack open their carapace the morsels inside are truly awe-inspiring in their gustatory potential.) The question of whether this disease can infect other species, like vilani/solomani, vargr, or zhodani, remains unanswered at this time.

Your cargo of medicinal plants is quite small, but highly valuable. It takes up 10 Tons of your hold (which left you with a single ton unused for this trip), but you variously estimate that you should be able to obtain somewhere in the range of 1.5 - 3.0 MCr.

You have already made a stop in the Inthe system to refuel and grab a quick bite before heading off to Centry. Having topped off your tanks with food and fuel, you've proceeded to Centry, and are almost ready to come out of JumpSpace and begin your final approach to the "infected" planet. You have obtained, at Doc Hannigan's insistence, protective clothing and respirator-filter masks before taking on this cargo. Doc thinks that these should protect you well enough, if this is the worst threat of infection that you must face. It is the only epidemic that has been reported on this world, as far as you've been able to determine. You have also seen reports that the populace has grown a bit desperate because of the threat to one of their main sources of income, and some small riots have broken out near the cities where ranchers take their Trotherias to market.

At last report, there was a region around the planetary capital and the Starport [Class I only*] that had not seen any rioting activity, but your last news was before you entered jump, so it's at least a week out of date now, likely two or three weeks or more, and you still have a considerable distance to cross via maneuver drive before your ready to make actual planetfall, so you've probably got another few days to go.

You've just come out of JumpSpace in the Centry system. Here we go, then....

* See OOC thread post #94 for a Description of a Class I StarPort
** See? Plural and Singular: "Dude sold me 18 head of infected Trotherias!" "Oh yeah? Well, your mama is an infected Trotherias!"

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Dr. Alexander Hannigan entered this ship's makeshift bar: an auxilliary cargo hold converted to a lounge, complete with well-stocked wet bar. No one was present, which suited Doc just fine. Hannigan sauntered in, looked around as if checking the imaginary regulars, and quickly found himself leaning on the bar, looking at an invisible bartender.

"Usual?" he asked no one in particular. "Sssshure. Why not?"

Hannigan swung around to the other side of the bar. He poured himself a tumbler full of Amarhi Whiskey. Holding the glass up, he asked, "Double, mebbe?" Hannigan set down the tumbler and filled it to a nearly unhealthy level. The doctor took a whiff of the bottle. "Exz'llunt vinnage."

"You know what? I'll jusss' take the bottle."

Dr. Hannigan picked up the tumbler and the whiskey bottle and found his way to a nearby table. The tumbler was drained quickly. "Bartender?" he asked, tapping the tumbler on the table. "Another." He looked around and whispered to no one, "Sssshervissse here isssss TERRIBLE."

Hannigan poured himself another double. He held the glass in his mechanical hand, connected to a cybernetic arm. Hannigan's design had come a long way; for the longest time, he could not use the arm to grip delicate items like glass tumblers. Right now, the hand had just about as much finesse as one could hope for.

A shadowy figured appeared in the entrance to the ship's bar.

"Come on in, ssssssshlick," Doc said. "Have a sssssheat. What're you drinkin'?"

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: BRILLIANT post, Insight! I'd award you xp for it if I was yet able to do so again. (I have saved your post as one of my favorites!) [Thanks, Lou and Scotley for filling in for me. ;) ]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
The shadowy figure strides on in looking a little nervous. His shaved head just misses the top of the door frame. "Oh hey doc. I'll just get something from the fridge." His tall thin form is dressed in a gray one-piece ship suit. Scenes advertising a popular video game flash garishly from LED's embedded in the fabric. Spider sits down opposite Doc and his eyes loose focus for a moment as he concentrates. A light comes on atop a small robot that looks vaguely like an old roller skate with a mechanical manipulator arm coming out of the top. It rolls off the induction charger pad and over to a small refrigerator under the bar. Servos whine as it strains to open the door and then remove a can. Whirling it pushes the door shut and whizzes over to place the can adorned with the image of a star going nova on the table. Spider pops the top and takes a sip of the audibly fizzing drink laden with natural stimulants from a dozen worlds and plenty of good old fashioned sugar. He smacks his lips and sets the can down glancing at the bottle in front of Doc. "Uh, you want some water or something to thin that down? I think Gruffle got the ice maker working again. Wizgig can fetch you some or ah maybe a soda." He pauses looking a little confused about what to say next and after moment comes up with a conversational gambit. "Oh hey Doc who do you like for the Gravball Series this year. I was scanning that last burst of news feeds we picked up before jump and Manovera is gonna be out the rest of the season. Got caught dopin' nanobots. Can you believe it? Kinda opens the field up huh?"

Leif

Adventurer
Anybody have anything they're just itching to accomplish during the rest of the trip to Centry? If not you can skip ahead and describe your approach, and anything you will do once you get there.

Insight

Adventurer
"Oh hey Doc who do you like for the Gravball Series this year. I was scanning that last burst of news feeds we picked up before jump and Manovera is gonna be out the rest of the season. Got caught dopin' nanobots. Can you believe it? Kinda opens the field up huh?"

Hannigan looks up from his glass tumbler and scratches his stubbly chin. "Dunno. I ain't been up on Gravball sssince... well, sssince I left... well, never mind all that." Pushing the Amanhi Whiskey bottle across the table, Doc grunted. "I ain't been doin' a lot of thingsssss lately."

"When're we hittin' that planet anyway? I gotta check out the local sssshelection of alcoholic beveragesssssh... and wimmen, of coursssshe."

Leif

Adventurer
Opening Gambit

OOC: Meanwhile, on the bridge....

The Zhodani pilot, her hands full in Spider's absence, notes that the sensors have picked up a ship heading your way, but still a few hundred km off yet. The com comes to life with a canine voice, "Zhodani Courier, grrrrrr, stand to and prepare to receive boarders!" The Zhodani pilot could have sworn that she heard a hyena-like laugh in the background....

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: Can I get an action for our Zhodani pilot, Shayuri? Doesn't really matter if you haven't finished with your character yet, this is all roleplay for now.

Note that I went ahead and took the liberty of naming the ship, it is the:
Zax Hakjohn Quiq, ZX213HKJ098-QQ7. Stats for the ship are in post #1 of the RG.

Last edited:

Remove ads