Gamma World Box Set Sneak Peak on I09.com

However If you want to support them the introduction of the collectable [sic] element go ahead.
These cards aren't meant as collectibles.[1] You don't need more cards than the ones that come with the boxed set if you don't want them, just like you don't need to buy ToB:Bot9S to play 3.5E; it's just expansion content.

Since there was discussion on these boards prior to 4e about introducing such a concept by WOTC designers, no it is not ridiculous.
Link or it didn't happen. Be sure that your source proves your claims that, A) a designer is "supposedly thinking of recommending (cards and random booster packs) forD&D [sic] 5e," and B) these cards "forD&D [sic] 5e" are intended to be collectible.

I'll be surprised if you even find a link where anyone from WotC is talking about 5E at all, especially from "prior to 4e".

Again, you are not worth me gettin a ban,but you can gocrawl back under your rock!
My house is under a bridge. True facts. Where's yours?

davethegame

Explorer
Not that I expect to actually resolve this argument but:
* According to the Gamma World seminar, the cards will be collated in such a way that makes them less random- i.e. if you want a full set there's an easy way to get them in each box.
* Cards come in the boxed set, and more will come in Famine at Far-Go which is plenty, more are entirely optional.
* Having played the new GW, I can tell you that a random table in a book would be much more inconvenient in play.
* All that said, there are still unanswered questions like having duplicate cards in a deck.

Dire Bare

Legend
Link or it didn't happen. Be sure that your source proves your claims that, A) a designer is "supposedly thinking of recommending (cards and random booster packs) forD&D [sic] 5e," and B) these cards "forD&D [sic] 5e" are intended to be collectible.

Not trying to defend the ridiculous sky is (randomly) falling posts, but WotC has announced that the basic idea behind the Gamma World card boosters is being carried over to D&D . . . not 5e, but 4e. In Q1 of next year we'll see "Fortune Cards" for D&D.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about them, but I'm already anticipated the cries of "Oh noes! They've made D&D into Magic!".

We won't get past the claims of D&D being made into a collectible game until Gamma World AND the D&D Fortune Cards are released and the sky yet refuses to fall on our heads.

Not trying to defend the ridiculous sky is (randomly) falling posts, but WotC has announced that the basic idea behind the Gamma World card boosters is being carried over to D&D . . . not 5e, but 4e. In Q1 of next year we'll see "Fortune Cards" for D&D.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about them, but I'm already anticipated the cries of "Oh noes! They've made D&D into Magic!".

We won't get past the claims of D&D being made into a collectible game until Gamma World AND the D&D Fortune Cards are released and the sky yet refuses to fall on our heads.
Actually, I did know about the Fortune Cards, but thank you for adding them to the discussion. That said, I still don't think Greg_K's argument would be relevant to those cards, either. You, me, and most of the other people here -- anyone who took the time to read about the product before commenting -- understand that this cards don't appear to be what this other guy thinks they are. There's no reason to think that these booster packs will be collectible or required at all. More importantly, there's absolutely no indication that WotC is developing "D&D 5E" as a CCG, which seems to be what Greg_K was implying. (It was especially ridiculous to suggest that anyone working for WotC would be talking about that even now, much less two years ago.)

Anyway, you're absolutely right; we'll probably hear a lot more of this until a month or two after these Fortune Cards are released. Fuel up your flamethrowers, boys and girls.

The sky only falls on some peoples' heads.
If I could edit my sig, I would quote this. XP for you is forthcoming.

DMH

First Post
Aw, c'mon, its not as if Gamma World is a core D&D product!

It wasn't even all that popular the first time around and I don't expect it to be this time.

Or the second or the third or the fourth or fifth or the sixth time around. There must be something about a game for it to earn 7 editions (11 if you include the entire universe with 4 editions of Metamorphosis Alpha). Other than Tunnels and Trolls, I can't think of any game that even reached 6.

As for the 7th edition- I won't be buying it as I don't care for the engine, the same reason I don't own the 3rd edition either. Mutant Future and Adamant's Warlords of the Wastelands are in my future.

darjr

I crit!
Rich Baker posted a bit about character creation and the 'classes' on his blog.

I'm just glad that the cards are not a requirement. I'm going to give it a try.

I will note that it seems (read it somewhere) that the booster packs will be involved in public/organized play of Gamma World, or at least they are intended to. A bit of revenue for the store hosting the event.

dm4hire

Explorer
Thanks for the link darjr. Unfortunately he doesn't cover the cards, which is okay since I really don't have a problem with them outside of the booster issue.

I find it interesting that it appears the game will only go to level 10. However when I think about it I have never seen or heard of a long haul game of Gamma. I'm not saying there isn't a group out there still playing with their first PCs from 20+ years ago I just don't recall anyone ever talking about it.

It seems very apparent that the game expects everyone to be mutants which might be being done more to up play the gonzo aspect, making things unpredictable and so forth. Race also seems to be the same as class in this game so having a pure strain human race might not be desirable, but until more is learned I can't say for sure. So gone may be the days of having a diverse party of survivors (by this I mean including the pure strain member who must live with what humanity has done), but again I need to see more. It would be nice if one of the designers would stop by and answer some of the questions posed here.

Last edited:

davethegame

Explorer
It seems very apparent that the game expects everyone to be mutants which might be being done more to up play the gonzo aspect, making things unpredictable and so forth. Race also seems to be the same as class in this game so having a pure strain human race might not be desirable, but until more is learned I can't say for sure. So gone may be the days of having a diverse party of survivors (by this I mean including the pure strain member who must live with what humanity has done), but again I need to see more. It would be nice if one of the designers would stop by and answer some of the questions posed here.

I seem to recall something along the lines that if you roll the same mutant half twice then you instead become an "Enhanced Human" but at some level everybody's a mutant.

I kept being told at Gen Con that the big premiere for Gamma World was PAX which is in three-ish weeks, so I'd expect a lot more answers then.

Budalic

First Post
Bah, you all act like the fact that cards won't serve as powergaming toy is a good thing.

If that's the case, you would stop at some point.

But, adding whackyness and randomness to GW game is a clever ploy indeed - who can resist it?

I tell you, WOTC is after our money.

Remove ads