Dark Sun music?

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I'm a compulsive prepper when it comes to D&D. I'm about two or three months away from unleashing Athas on my players, and I'd like to assemble a thematically appropriate ambient music playlist for Dark Sun.

I've seen suggestions elsewhere to give a good listen to the Conan soundtracks. I'm definitely going to, but I was wondering what music (preferably instrumental) ENWorlders feel is appropriate to Dark Sun.

Thanks in advance!

Drammattex

First Post
Of the stuff I own, this is what I would use:

300 (should be perfect)
Rome (music from the HBO series)
The Passion of the Christ
Gladiator
Conan the Barbarian

Depending on the story I was telling, I may or may not include Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Might also use the Planescape: Torment soundtrack.

All of these have an "older" kind of feel. I'd definitely use the first five, with Crouching Tiger and Planescape as options.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Thanks for the ideas so far. I just wanted to add that a player of mine suggested the soundtracks to Fallout 1 and 2. I'm listening to them now and they're VERY appropriate, for anyone else looking for DS music.

Edit: Also previewing The Book of Eli soundtrack on iTunes...so far so good...

Last edited:

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
Some that I think fit:

Beats Antique
Eastern Dub Tactik
Inlakesh
The Dune and Children Of soundtracks from the TV miniseries
And by extension, Azam Ali, who sung on them and has her own stuff.

Anything by Lisa Gerrard (who did the Gladiator Soundtrack listed above). She has that mysterious Middle Eastern sound that is so very appropriate for Dark Sun.

Drammattex

First Post
The Battlestar Galactica soundtrack may work.

I was thinking of including it, but I don't think you could use them "as is." You'd probably have to judiciously select your tracks and put them in a playlist, simply because the BSG albums are each far too varied to carry a consistent tone (which is a good thing if you're just listening to them for pleasure).

Dragging all of the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXUEhgNXJU&feature=related"]drum tracks[/ame] into a Dark Sun playlist might work out.

That said, the BSG soundtracks are the only albums on my iPod that have been imported at highest quality and I think they're pretty much the best thing ever. And while I wouldn't use [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c2ZJPKz5u8"]Kara Remembers[/ame] in a Dark Sun game, it gives me the chills every time I hear it.

Gee thanks, Shroomy. Now I know how I'm spending my Friday night (season 2!!!). :D

Shroomy

Adventurer
My DM used parts of the BSG soundtrack for ambient music during his last campaign. Worked really well and that setting was as far away from Dark Sun as you could get.

mac1504

Explorer
Prince of Persia

I listened briefly (skipped through the tracks) to the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time soundtrack awhile back, and I remember thinking it would make a decent score for a Dark Sun game.

interwyrm

First Post
I listened briefly (skipped through the tracks) to the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time soundtrack awhile back, and I remember thinking it would make a decent score for a Dark Sun game.

DO NOT under any circumstances try this with the warrior within soundtrack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases