Checking Interest - Dark Sun + 4e + Gladiators!

Hey all, I'm considering starting up a PbP Dark Sun game (4th edition).

The general idea: All the PCs are gladiators, competing for the top prize in a huge gladiatorial spectacle. I think it would be interesting to have a combat-heavy mini-campaign with a lot of emphasis on character interaction in-between matches.

Combat stuff: The combat would be team-focused at first, with the whole group fighting other groups and packs of pit monsters. Gradually, the survivors would be forced into single combat and team combat, sometimes (stress sometimes) even against each other. It could bring a PvP element into it.

Plot stuff: The events would unfold over the course of a few days in Balic, where warriors and mages have come from all corners of the desert for a chance at the prize. The champion's grand prize would be an audience with the Sorcerer-King Andropinis, who would be inclined to award any practical gift, such as a moderate noble title, freedom (if the character were a slave), an invitation to the templarhood, etc. Revolutionary characters might simply savor the possibility of meeting the king one-on-one...

It would be really cool to explore the characters' backstories and reasons for joining the contest.

Other crunchy stuff: I'm thinking of having everyone start at level 3. Themes optional and encouraged, pretty much any race is fine. No divine classes, no background benefits. Level-up will occur after every successful in-game day.

So, with that said, does this sound good to anybody? Questions, comments, and input welcome.

edit: Location changed from Urik to Balic.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
Maybe I can try the thri-kreen in this one then ;p Its funny that the book has been out for less than 24 hours and there are 2 new games already!

That's true, but I've had the books for around 2 weeks. (I thank the stars for living near a premiere store.) I've already had a session of my home campaign, and the setting has really excited my players.

To people who don't have the Dark Sun book, it isn't really necessary unless you want a theme or specific feats or the like.

Shayuri

First Post
I have a weird character concept in mind, so feel free to nix it.

What about a Warforged?

My idea is that it's an ancient machine recovered from an old ruin that was either accidentally reactivated or repaired enough to come back online. Damage and decay have annihilated its memories as well as whatever purpose or programming it had, so now it's just trying to get along as best it can. Gladiating is a natural...especially since it's almost certainly a 'slave' with no legal status as a person. And since it doesn't eat, sleep, or drink, it's cheap to keep!

I fully understand though, if this seems too weird or out of place for the campaign setting, and I'll come up with something more mainstream if that's the case. :)

Shay: That's a great idea! However, how would you feel about making the character out of something besides metal? After all, metal is incredibly scarce - I'd find it hard to believe it wasn't immediately melted down upon discovery. If you can come up with a good reason for it to be metal and remain intact (perhaps a protective barrier or a seemingly unbreakable metal), go for it!

Everyone: Keep your eyes peeled for an official recruitment/OOC thread. The link will be posted in this space: http://www.enworld.org/forum/talkin...ent-d-d-4th-edition-dark-sun.html#post5287668

RECRUITMENT IS NOW OPEN IN THE ABOVE THREAD!

Last edited:

Remove ads