What was your first ever D&D product?

diaglo

Adventurer
the white boxed set by Gygax and Arneson. it had 3 booklets and reference sheets. the Original Collector's Edition. i later bought the 4 supplements plus the original Chainmail rules and Sword & Spells.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Basic D&D 13th Printing. Red box, Elmore art. Somewhere soon after that, the rest of the D&D sets (from a friend who no longer was using them) and a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil.

Best,
tKL

roytheodd

First Post
My friend and I began playing at the age of 10 with just a 1st Edition Fiend Folio. We had no true clue to the rules, but we made them up as we saw fit. After a few weeks I got the Basic Set in the red box, so that was my first actual D&D product.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Henry said:
First ever gaming product was the Red Erol Otus Covered Basic D&D set, with module B2 Keep on the Borderlands inside...

Same here. I can still picture it in my head, the day I got it. For my 12th Birthday, I think.

I still use the D20, affectionately referred to as "widowmaker" by my players. The boxed set, however, is lost to the ages.

Gez

First Post
Player's Option: Skills & Power (french version), I think. Either that, or The Forgotten Realms Adventure Guide (french version also), or the 2e FR boxed set (original version).

But they were purchased by my brother, and I didn't used them. Perused a bit, laughed at silly rules (so elves can't be druids, bards, or rangers; despite these classes being the most fit to their description ? -- just for example), and left to gather dust.

He played AD&D at a club I didn't go to. At home, we played other games, like Ars Magica, some White Wolferies, and some French games no non-French have ever heard off (well, you may have heard of INS/MV, but this one we didn't played much).

So, the first D&D book I really used was the 3e PH (WotC's official abreviation of Player's Handbook, even if everyone says PHB for Player's Hand Book because of TSR).

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
D&D Basic Set. Magenta box with the Erol Otus cover.

My next purchase was the Expert Set with X1 - The Isle of Dread included. Followed so closely by the AD&D DMG that it made my head spin.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases