What was your first ever D&D product?

Henrix

Explorer
First edition AD&D Players Handbook and Monster Manual, both in the UK softcover version printed by Games Workshop*.

I latter sold my MM, but I still have the old PHB, in all it's tattered glory.

* This was long before they became the Grimes Orkshop we know today.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
IIRC, my friend gave me the 2E PHB & DMG, and Dragonlance Adventures and Forgotten Realms Adventures circa 1990, when i was about 15. :)

first thing i bought? geez, i don't remember that... but it probably wasn't until a year or two later that my friend Jim saw above mentioned books on my shelf and told me how he'd always wanted to play D&D...

which was about the time the two of us became true gaming geeks. ;)

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Memories...

Started out with the 'red box' basic set, and modules B1-4 - all for christmas. Shortly thereafter picked up the Expert set for myself.

I was really hurting for character sheets, but all the store had was the old orange AD&D NPC sheets - two to an 8 1/2 X 11 page, if anyone remembers. After staring in mystification at all the tons of extra spots to write things in (THACO? What's that?), I went out and bought myself the 1e AD&D PHB, DMG, and the World of Greyhawk boxed set... and switched immediately to AD&D.

Out of a sense of completeness, I subsequently picked up the Companions, Master, and Immortals box sets, but my heart was with AD&D from that first set of NPC sheets. To this day I still buy old modules or expansion sets that I find used at gaming stores so that eventually I may have pretty much everything ever released for 1e AD&D.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I will never forget my first D&D product. I was sixteen when I received my inflatable evil sorceress wearing nothing but chainmail skivies.

Kilmore

First Post
I got the Basic Otus.

Yeah, okay... the basic set may seem innocent enough, but then just wait 'till you see him with the expert set, then what are you gonna do? Huh? Huh? Next thing you know it'll be AD&D and then Star Frontiers and Gamma World and god knows what else!!

cbatt

First Post
Mountain of Mirrors - an Endless Quest book... okay, so it's technically not quite really DnD... :)

Larry Elmore blue box Expert Set (4th printing?) with X1 Isle of Dread included. Bought it with birthday money from grandma that I received before my b-day. My parents bought me the Elmore-covered Basic Set for my b-day, after much cajoling. Companion, Master, and Immortal sets followed in the next few years.

Rhianni

First Post
1st ed DMG. I had been using my friend's books and saw it in a used book store for half cover price. One of the greatest finds ever. I was like 12 or so what do you expect :)

Voadam

Legend
Henry said:
First ever gaming product was the Red Erol Otus Covered Basic D&D set, with module B2 Keep on the Borderlands inside.

That thing lasted me ten years before I lost it somewhere. Man, I miss that thing. I Still have the B2 Module original, though.

That was my first one as well, I still have B2 and the rulebook but the box and the red dice and white wax crayon are long gone. My red book accidentally got left out in the rain one day and I carefully dried it and so now it looks really ancient with the water damage.

Voadam

Legend
EricNoah said:
Gosh, I'm not sure. I used my older brother's stuff for a while. I think the first thing I actually owned was the "red box" of basic D&D.

I do remember that, before my brother headed off to college, I sat down with his AD&D DMG and typed up the entire monster stat chart from one of the appendices so I'd have some good monsters.

Tsk, Tsk, Eric, you know that copywright infringement is not tolerated here. Bragging about your youth as an intellectual property pirate is just not done.:)

Remove ads