What was your first ever D&D product?

Robbert Raets

Explorer
Actually, the first RPG product I bought was a large d20, used to track my life point during Magic: the Gathering :)

But if you count only D&D products, I'd have to say the Core Rules 2.0 CD-ROM.

If you'd say video game, mine would be the Legend of Zelda - a Link to the Past.

Utrecht

First Post
1st Edition Monster Manual

- bought it at the Lowry AFB BX. I was a big fan of Greek Myth at the time and saw a book that had numbers assosciated with them - nothing but goodness!!!!!

BluWolf

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
The first one was 1st edition Player's Handbook (the one with the blue cover) and my first mod was Under Illefarn (the very first adventure in Forgotten Realms?).

Under Illefarn was not the first adventure in the Realms but it was the best module EVER written for the Realms.

Kamard

First Post
The First D&D item I ever owned was a module for Immortal level D&D characters, called 5 Coins for a Kingdom.

It was kind of neat, never got a chance to play it of course.

Agback

Explorer
G'day

Now that we have some idea of the range of responses, someone well up on the history of D&D editions ought to post a poll.

Regards,

Agback

johnsemlak

First Post
Agback said:
G'day

Now that we have some idea of the range of responses, someone well up on the history of D&D editions ought to post a poll.

Regards,

Agback

It would be cool, but if you mean a poll on what was your first product, I think that might be too difficult. While a few choices stand otu the most (the red basic D&D set e.g.) there have beenso many mentioned here a poll would be difficult. Plus, should we consider the Red D&D box as one choice, or make each edition or printing a separate choice?

I find it wierd some of the choices people hav eposted here . Some people bought bought/received modules before they got any rulebooks. Understanding D&D is complex even with the rulebooks!

johnsemlak

First Post
My first product was the red basic set (mentioned above) but I have very vivid memories of getting the 1e PHB for xmas.

I was at my grandma's and I spent the first night creating characters.

It was so cool, after playing Basic D&D for a while, to actually use AD&D rules. New classes like Paladin and Ranger. Bards! New Races--Gnomes, Half-elves,.... Multiclass characters! That wierd section on Psionics at the end. More weapons (the first time I saw a bastard sword). There were so many more options and choices (sounds like 3e, doesn't it). And all the characters seemed so much more powerful than in Basic. 1st level clerics had a spell, and gained bonus spells for high wisdom. Paladins seemed out-of-control.

My first character, IIRC, was a half-elf Ranger/Cleric (correct me if I'm wrong, that was possible under 1e rules, wasn't it?). Pretty much embodied most of what AD&D offered players that was not in basic D&D--New class, new race, multiclass, cleric with spells at 1st level). I don't remember much more, but I think I went on creating characters well into the night....

BTW, I did continue to run campaigns with Basic &D as the core system for a while, using what I liked about AD&D. I guess that was the reverse of the usual trend.

thegolem

First Post
My first product was the D&D Basic Set (red box, god knows what printing), given to me by my older brother in about 1987.

Then, i got blue box Expert for my brithday, and bought Companion for myself!

Peter

Remove ads