Wrath of Ashardalon

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrath of Ashardalon

Anybody have any info on this? It reminds me of the "D&D Basic Game" that was out a few years back....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Ashardalon-Boardgame-Peter-Lee/dp/0786955708/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282198317&sr=8-9]Amazon.com: Wrath of Ashardalon: A D&D Boardgame (4th Edition D&D) (9780786955701): Peter Lee:…[/ame]

Wrath of...

This is basically the next boardgame. It uses a tile based system similar to the Castle Ravenloft boardgame. Instead of being set in Castle Ravenloft, this game is set in a dungeon controlled by the dragon Ardshalon. It is supposed to use virtually the same game mechanics as the Castle Ravenloft boxed set.

If you want to check out the rules for the Castle Ravenloft game, the rules are on the Wotc website as a PDF. I am not sure if you need an Insider account to access the PDF.

The Wrath of Ardshalon will have different minis, propably about the same number as Castle Ravenloft(40 minis). I would not be shocked to find a large or huge red dragon mini in the box.

Hope this answers your question.

..and I've pre-ordered!

Those tiles, interlocking and multi directional, look awesome. I hate DnD dungeon tiles that are just shapes with no way of locking together. I'd pay good money for a system like those tiles... admittedly not good enough money that I'd buy multiple copies of these boardgames to get them!

Someone mention FFG does these sort of tiles but buggered if I can find them on their website. If anyone does know of a heavy card stock dungeon/wild/city interlocking (like jigsaw) tiles, please tell... there is XP for ya!

Ravenloft
    Last edited by mach1.9pants; Thursday, 19th August, 2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Gloria Finis

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore jbear
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post

Those tiles, interlocking and multi directional, look awesome. I hate DnD dungeon tiles that are just shapes with no way of locking together. I'd pay good money for a system like those tiles... admittedly not good enough money that I'd buy multiple copies of these boardgames to get them!
    Have you heard of a game called Descent?

Apart from some really cool miniatures including Nagas, wizards, beastmen, dragonliches, demons, sphynx, skeleton archers, ogres, giants and loads of PC miniatures, it also has loads of interlocking dungeon tiles. The game itself is pretty cool. But it's worth buying the box just for all the stuff it comes with, imo. If you haven't yet, it's worth checking out!
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

If I understand correctly, Wrath of Ashardalon is based on the AD&D adventure "Dragon Mountain"

...although I hope this version doesn't have so many frikkin kobolds!
    Wizards of the Coast has now unveiled its nefarious plan: Sell awesome boxed sets full of feelie goodness so that we will WANT to buy them, instead of just getting the info through D&Di

Quote Originally Posted by jbear View Post
    Have you heard of a game called Descent?

Apart from some really cool miniatures including Nagas, wizards, beastmen, dragonliches, demons, sphynx, skeleton archers, ogres, giants and loads of PC miniatures, it also has loads of interlocking dungeon tiles. The game itself is pretty cool. But it's worth buying the box just for all the stuff it comes with, imo. If you haven't yet, it's worth checking out!
    I most certainly have heard of decent, although I don't own it. I may be able to pick that up from my local boardgame store, and yes it is a FLBGS, so that'll be good.

Off to Google. Cheers.

EDIT: Except it is not in print and would cost hundreds to post and buy
    Last edited by mach1.9pants; Friday, 20th August, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Gloria Finis

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    D&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

ř Ignore MerricB
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
    I most certainly have heard of decent, although I don't own it. I may be able to pick that up from my local boardgame store, and yes it is a FLBGS, so that'll be good.

Off to Google. Cheers.

EDIT: Except it is not in print and would cost hundreds to post and buy
    Descent, if it isn't in print, will shortly be back in print. It is one of FFG's major properties, and they won't let it be out of print for long.

Hmm. Checking FFG's page, it's definitely in print. The local distributor might just not have restocked.

(It is an expensive game, though. Fun, but expensive).

Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Visualising Combat in Dungeons & Dragons | Stealth in 5E | List of 5E Adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Yeah your right, just out of stock in a lot of internet resellers.

However there is one here on TradeMe (NZ's ebay) new for 120NZ, which is good. Will bid when I get home.
    Gloria Finis

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore jbear
    Yeah, it is expensive, but it's quality. It's also got loads of pretty neat 'tokens': hearts and mana drops, plus poison, fire, webs, dazed etc. that can be pretty handy to mark Bloodied, Marked, Ongoing Damage, Immobilised or Slowed, Dazed or Stunned etc.

If you can pick it up for 120NZ$ that's a pretty good deal. Good Luck!

(Trademe ftw!!!!)
    'I am a predator...the predator improves the race...I kill but not out of hate.'
    Frank Herbert: Emperor God of Dune

TradeMe oooh yeah, but that is opening bid. We will see by Tuesday night
    Gloria Finis

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast