proposal: higher level additional characters

evilbob

Explorer
I've looked back through the proposals and no one has advocated for or against this yet, so I thought I'd throw out an admittedly radical idea and see what everyone thought.

Proposal: when you create an additional character, you can start that character at a level equal to your highest level existing character minus one.

Example: If you have a level 5 guy and a level 3 guy, you could make a third character at level 4.

Reason: This board has been around a while, and we keep gaining folks and losing folks. As people leave and are replaced, the average level gets driven down, since everyone starts out at level 1. Meanwhile, people who have been online for a long time gradually find themselves a bit lonely (like level 8 and no one else is close). This proposal would allow the average character level to be driven up dramatically, and over time, be more balanced. It would also enable the potential for more interesting characters. Additionally, it would only reward people who have been on the boards a while (since this rule wouldn't affect anyone with a character lower than level 3) and it would significantly reward people who have been around a long while. But most of all, it would let all of us play higher level characters and possibly get to more interesting abilities and content.

I can think of two main potential downsides.

First, I'm sure some will be worried that there will be a period at which there won't be enough low level folks to play together. I don't think this is true, for two reasons: we have a pretty decently established pattern of people joining and others leaving, and I think we'll always continue to have new blood. Also, people are already playing with folks who are more than 1 level above or below them anyway, so having everyone be the exact same level is clearly not a requirement.

Second, this will be a pain to implement, but only for a short while. Once it is going, I don't think it will be difficult, but right now this could affect a large number of people. For example, if someone has a level 4 character and a level 1 character, that person would be eligible for a level 3 character (as their 2nd PC). They would have to retire the level 1 in order to get the level 3, and that's not a good incentive. I would suggest instead allowing them a one-time boost to bring their level 1 guy to level 3 - however, this will be awkward because what if they are in a game with 4 other PCs that are still level 1 and run by new players? You could wait until the end of the current adventure, but then the level 1 guy KNOWS he's just going to be level 3 once its over no matter what, so all current XP is not useful to him. And this doesn't even begin to cover the treasure issue. Obviously, all of this would need to be worked out. But I don't think it's impossible.

(And on a related note, we might have to re-work the new retirement rules, since this actually could encourage "feeder" PCs, as was discussed in the new retirement rules thread. Also, there could be some weirdness when a 2nd PC levels more quickly than a 1st PC, but that doesn't seem like it would happen for a while.)

There are details to be worked out in the implementation, but I think it's a sound proposal. Thoughts, suggestions, ideas welcome!

Otakkun

Explorer
For example, if someone has a level 4 character and a level 1 character, that person would be eligible for a level 3 character (as their 2nd PC). They would have to retire the level 1 in order to get the level 3

Sounds interesting enough. Having only a level 2 character this really doesn't do anything for me, but I think it will help out the community as a whole, bringing out more "mid" level characters to play with us who started less than a year ago.

Bumping levels sounds iffy, mostly because it will give all the wrong incentives, and that might become a problem down the run.

On a completely different matter, someone should put a sticky post will all accepted proposals... it's a pain to browse for them. (remember the superior great axe fiasco I had some days ago? :blush: )

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I'm trying hard to see a downside in this, other than that it seems against my sadistic, legalistic nature to allow someone to start a character at anything other than Level 1. I mean, what's the point, if you don't earn your way to the top. I need to think about this a little more...

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
That would be like World of Warcraft letting you make a level 55 character just because you've gotten a different character up to level 55! Preposterous.

evilbob

Explorer
Honestly, it is a little similar to WoW. And I'd consider it less "you didn't earn it" and more "you are rewarded for your effort".

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=Is this a tangent? Maybe...]I suspect that was sarcasm on Iron Sky's part, since WoW does let you create a level 55 deathknight after having gotten another character to level 55.[/sblock]

Anyway, I want to support this, mostly because I am so very tired of heroic tier play. I'm just trying to figure out if it's abusable or not. I think it may force us to change when someone can make a third character though.

evilbob

Explorer
The only potential I see for abuse is through our retirement rules, as you can sack one character to boost another. However, I am all for changing them around as well. I think LEB's rules on retirement are more simple and direct; I'd suggest adopting them. Maybe I'll just go ahead and make another couple of proposals...

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Honestly, it is a little similar to WoW. And I'd consider it less "you didn't earn it" and more "you are rewarded for your effort".

Sorry, yeah, forgot my [jest][/jest] tags.

I would lean more towards allowing this proposal with 3rd characters since those are the people with characters high enough level to really take advantage of this. It will also require less retroactive level-upage since I don't think there are many 3rd characters around.

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I think I'm with Iron Sky on this one. It would see the least abuse if the rule applied to third characters. I would also want the rule worded in such a way as to discourage the abuse mentioned by evilbob above. That has the potential to become a vicious spiral.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases