Fortune Cards: and randomized collectible cards come to D&D

Greg K

Legend
Per Mike Mearls from an interview

Fortune Cards

MM: "Similar to Gamma World cards, we are going to be doing fortune cards for D&D. They are collectible cards that give the same kind of random dramatic element to the game. The player can alter the action a little bit by using a random benefit. As a whole they make the game a little more unpredictable and makes things work out in an interesting new way."

Read more: Wizards of the Coast Gen Con Interview – Part 2 of 2 (D&D / Gamma World / Fortune Cards) | LivingDice.com

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I think they took a good idea (Torg Drama deck, DCUniverse deck, Marvel Saga Deck, and the Savage World Action Deck) that would have been cool only to "f" it up by turning into a collectable thing.

Festivus

First Post
I wonder if those won't be something akin to twitter buffs (I said the same about Gamma World and was wrong but hey, I like the Gamma World ones). Something environmental (e.g. a fog rolls in and grants concealment to all combatants). I have little to no interest in things like this, but I could see where some would find it fun.

Or perhaps something like the Harrow deck in Pathfinder... but if it's collectible I have no idea.

WarlockLord

First Post
Wow. It's like they're trying to prove all the 3.5 fanbois right. Wasn't one of the constant allegations "they're making D&D more like MtG?"

Good thing the D&D department of WotC won't be recieving my money anytime soon.

Dire Bare

Legend
My first thought is, "Paizo released those just recently."

Though Paizo's aren't collectible, just a deck of cards that players can draw from when they level and then use at some point to try and get the DM to make some adjustment to the story-line.

Yeah, based on what little has been said and what they are calling the cards, it sounds very much like D&D Fortune cards will be a lot like the GameMastery Plot Twist Cards. Which, IMO, is an awesome thing. The collectible aspect doesn't bother me a bit, mostly because the sky doesn't constantly fall on my head.

Dire Bare

Legend
I really have to wonder just who at WotC read the satire of collectible rpg material in KODT and thought actually making those would be a Good IdeaTM...:confused:

I think they took a good idea (Torg Drama deck, DCUniverse deck, Marvel Saga Deck, and the Savage World Action Deck) that would have been cool only to "f" it up by turning into a collectable thing.

Wow. It's like they're trying to prove all the 3.5 fanbois right. Wasn't one of the constant allegations "they're making D&D more like MtG?"

Good thing the D&D department of WotC won't be recieving my money anytime soon.

Whatever dudes. Keep cryin' in yer milk, but . . . love 'em or hate 'em . . . Fortune Cards are not, 1) the end of D&D as we know it, 2) making D&D like Magic in any way, and 3) a bad thing for the game.

I respect anybody who takes a look at the eventual previews we'll get, or the cards themselves, and says, "Nope, not for me!". But all this wailing and gnashing over, "Oh noes, D&D is now Magic" just gets repetitive and tiring.

Greg K

Legend
Whatever dudes. Keep cryin' in yer milk, but . . . love 'em or hate 'em . . . Fortune Cards are not, 1) the end of D&D as we know it, 2) making D&D like Magic in any way, and 3) a bad thing for the game.

I respect anybody who takes a look at the eventual previews we'll get, or the cards themselves, and says, "Nope, not for me!". But all this wailing and gnashing over, "Oh noes, D&D is now Magic" just gets repetitive and tiring.

I have no respect for opinion based on what you wrote. I also don't see anybody whining, but stating their opinion that the collectible aspect is a bad thing. Since the issue is about the collectible aspect, there is no need to see the cards. But, hey, if you like it knock yourself out.

And, now ,where is the ignore button (I guess the thing will be useful).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases