Goths, Celts and Vikings

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I think the Franks might argue that point.

Which Franks?
The Zappa Franks. Those guys were weird.

FrankZappa.jpg

nedjer

Adventurer
The mystery deepens. The Normans turned against facial hair, braiding and hair in general. By the time they moved to Italy their knights were fervent stubbleheads. A guy on the BBC just told me, meaning a). must be true b). had some sort of historical significance, wtf?

Bluenose

Adventurer
The mystery deepens. The Normans turned against facial hair, braiding and hair in general. By the time they moved to Italy their knights were fervent stubbleheads. A guy on the BBC just told me, meaning a). must be true b). had some sort of historical significance, wtf?

They adopted a type of helmet that rubbed the back of the head from the Franks. That rubbed away a patch of hair, and rather than look like monks they took to shaving their heads down to stubble. At least, that's the explanation I've read about.

nedjer

Adventurer
Haven't really been of any help to the OP, so I'd like to recommend some authentic Viking and Celtic source material: Horrible Histories Viscious Vikings and Cutthroat Celts books. Very funny and very real source material.

The Vikings get the TV treatment HERE

iPlayer viewers can get a bunch of Series 2 episodes straight off and Youtube might have the odd episode. However, it's the books that get into the source material from the Vikings' bloodeagles to the entire Stormin' Normans book.

Rasssputin

First Post
The Vikings are maritime where as neither the Celts or Goths are.

The Goths (in the period they are most known for) are a wandering people. The whole population can up stakes, pack everything into wagons and move.
Their battle tactics can include the use of cavalry and wagon laagers.

For chieftans/kings Viking and Goth inheritence tends to be father to son but Celtic, every male out to second/third cousins have equal claim and the method of choosing from the claiments is elective, though butchering all opponents is considered legitimate.

Vikings tend to favour defensive battle tactics and let the enemy come to them and are primarily infantry.

Goths tend to be more mixed and it is hard to be definitive with regard to the celts. However,the Celtd tend to be agressive on the battlefield but most of the information is from earlier eras than either the Vikings or the Goths. So the Gauls tend to be swordsmen and the Britons were known for the use of Chariots, in the Irish Ulster Cycle of myth Chariots are mentioned all the time but by the time the Vikings hit Ireland, Irish armies are mosty infantry and the same applies in the wars with the Normans/English. In fact the Normans rapidly abandon heavy cavalry in Ireland the gorund was against it.Too much forest and bog.

That is it from me, off the tp of my head. I would have to rsearch it to tellyou much more.

Remove ads