Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, & Sorcerers?

Oni

First Post
Anyone know anything about this Player's Guide to Wizards, Bard, & Sorcerers that the folks over Sword & Sorcerery Studios are supposedly putting out?

Sulimo

First Post
umm...it'll be 160 pages.

Snipped from a post by Joe Carriker on the S&S boards:

"The Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers is in
final editing even as we speak. Authors Mike Gill (bards),
Kevin Kulp (sorcerers) and Ethan Skemp (wizards) did an
amazing job of showing us how the three arcanist classes
have helped to shape and develop the setting, as well as
giving some interesting guidelines for things such as bardic
epics, sorcerous "witch family" bloodlines and the various
traditions of wizardry in the Scarred Lands. THis book is
rounded out by three Appendices that include prestige
classes (13 in all), some spells that were sadly cut from
RR2 but have been rescued for this book, new Scion feats,
Bardic Tradition feats and a whole host of other cool
things, including Templates and new familiars."

Glaurung

First Post
It will have SL specific descriptions (ie, history of X class in the Scarred Lands, how magic functions in the Scarred Lands, etc.). However, it will also have more generic character goodies, such as lots of new feats (and new types of feats, like Scion, Cabalist, and Bardic Tradition feats), as well as new PrCs (which admittedly have a SL flavor) and spells. There will also be NPCs, which are of course usable in any campaign.

So in short, there is a lot that is SL specific, but it can be worked into other campaigns relatively easily. Feats, etc. are less specific, and players desiring new options/ideas for Bards, Wizards, and Sorcerers should take a look.

-Michael Gill

Crothian

First Post
Duncan Haldane said:
I also believe this book (and the others in the series) will be quite specific to Scarred Lands.

Maybe we should ask PirateCat? :)

Duncan

You mean Nightfall, the Scarred Lands Guru?

On a side not FFG's Path of Magic is pretty good an geared towards these three classes.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Crothian said:

You mean Nightfall, the Scarred Lands Guru?

On a side not FFG's Path of Magic is pretty good an geared towards these three classes.

True but I think the Scion feats plus the Cabalist feats might be interesting. (Hey that's just me.)

Btw it's MISTER Scarred Lands Guru to you! *is teasing* But seriously folks, what little I know, Mike and Sul filled in nicely. I will say this. (And I hope that it's not too big of break on NDA...) I DID contribute to the spell section of the book. I and about 10 others I believe. (Joseph would know more about the others). But yes, I'm going to be an author in this too, though Mikey is probably more deserving of that title since he did the work on bards. (Congrats Mike! :) )

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Crothian said:

I wasn't aware of that. Good to see PC getting work. :D

Yep PC contributed to sorcerers section. Mike Gill aka Glaurung did bards, and Ethan Skemp did wizards. As I said earlier, I did some spell contributions along with some other people that didn't make into the final cut of R&R2. The book is slated for a February 2003 release.

Last edited:

Barastrondo

First Post
Oni said:
Anyone know anything about this Player's Guide to Wizards, Bard, & Sorcerers that the folks over Sword & Sorcerery Studios are supposedly putting out?

Lots... but the non-disclosure agreements... well, you know.

As far as general statements go, though, I think it'll be a good book for those who aren't totally burned on the idea of class-books by now. I find it hard to judge my own work objectively, but the files I read by my fellow authors were chock-full of interesting ideas and refreshing new takes on not just how said arcane classes work in the SL, but why — why they even exist at all! As one of the veteran GM-types who's deeply interested in world-building, I thought it was a great book for fleshing out a setting that complements the D&D rules without being mercilessly shackled to the generic 3e world assumptions. Plus, the rules appendices I looked over were full of stuff I deemed well worth modifying/stealing even for non-Scarred Lands campaigns.

So presuming that my own stuff doesn't suck, I think it'll be a fine book; the other parts certainly kicked ass. I'm quite looking forward to the finished product.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases