Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
There are a lot of "dances" that should be changed to "chants" and I think we should drop the single focal priest element - in the original adventure all the priests stop chanting and attack the PCs without interrupting their spell-weaving.

Also, the original adventure said the only way to prevent the chanting priests within 10 turns from releasing the Dark King is to kill all of them.

Anyhow, how about this:

Chant Magic (Sp): Priests of Ythog-Nthlei possess a unique ability to work magic by chanting. A group of at least two priests is required to initiate chant magic, but the chant can be completed by only a single priest.

Chant magic can create any arcane or divine spell, including epic magic, that a priest in the chanting group has witnessed being cast. Chant magic spells are treated as cleric spells with a DC based on highest Wisdom score among the chant group's priests when the chant is completed. Chant magic spells always have a verbal component even if the original spell does not. The priests can apply any metamagic feats they possess to the chant magic spell, except for Silent Spell or Quicken Spell. The spell's caster level normally equals 10 plus the highest CL among the priests in the chanting group plus the number of priests in the group, but the priests can lower the casting level to reduce the casting time (see below). The caster level must be high enough for a cleric of that level to cast the chosen spell, including metamagic effects.

Chant magic is slow. Completing the chant and casting the spell takes a total number of rounds of chanting equal to 100 times the minimum caster level of the spell (see above); divided between the priests however they desire (i.e. a spell with a minimum CL 6th can be completed by a single priest chanting for 600 rounds or five priests chanting for 120 rounds). If the chant magic is producing an epic spell, its minimum caster level is 20 or half the Spellcraft DC of the spell, whichever is higher. The priests of Ythog Nthlei can cast the chant magic spell faster by lowering the caster level (down to the minimum caster level for the spell). For every level the caster level is lowered the casting time is reduced by 100 rounds (minimum of 50 rounds or the spell's normal casting time, whichever is higher). For example, if a chanting group normally casts spells at CL 20th it could cast a spell at CL 10th to reduce the casting time by 1000 rounds or CL 1st to reduce it by 1900 rounds.

Chant magic spells do not require material or XP components, but spells with these components take longer to chant; for every 10 XP or 250 gp worth of components the spell normally requires, the chant magic takes 10 minutes longer to complete.

The priests in a chanting group can perform extraordinary and supernatural actions (including combat) without breaking the spell they are chanting, although any round in which they perform such actions does not count towards the completion of the chant magic. If any priest uses a spell or spell-like ability the chant magic is ruined. The only other way to stop the chant is to kill or incapacitate all the priests in the chanting group. Killing or incapacitating a chanter reduces the effective caster level of the group, thereby increases the casting time and possibly ruining the chant magic if the caster level is reduced to less than the spell's minimum.

When completing an epic spell the chanting group must make a Spellcraft check against the epic spell’s Spellcraft DC using the highest Spellcraft modifier among the chanting priests plus a bonus equal to the CL of the chant magic spell. Note that it will be impossible for the chanting group to succeed at an epic spell if its Spellcraft DC is greater than 20 + the group's Spellcraft modifier.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Chant Magic (Sp): Priests of Ythog-Nthlei possess a unique ability to work magic by chanting. A group of at least two priests is required to initiate chant magic, but the chant can be completed by only a single priest.

*SNIP*

Let's check the numbers.

A single priest in the current working draft has CL 10, 14 HD and Wisdom 19 (but 26 for spellcasting), so if it's the only survivor to finish a chant magic spell it will have a CL or 21st, or enough for an Epic Spell.

If we assume the priests were epic-casting a dispel seed (Spellcraft 19) with the factors "+21 on the dispel check" (Spellcraft +21) "Increase casting time by 10 minutes" (Spellcraft -20) that'd be a Spellcraft DC of 20, so all we need to do is give it a Spellcraft skill of +19 or better and it'll automatically succeed at the roll and free its master!

With 14 HD it can have up to 17 ranks in Spellcraft and it has a +4 ability modifier from its Intelligence of 19 plus I suspect it might have enough Knowledge (arcana) or Use Magic Device for a synergy bonus.

Speaking of skill ranks, I'm wondering whether to change these things from Aberration to Native Outsider for the sake of making them slightly tougher and more skilled. It'd also make it a bit less obvious I used an enlarged Mind Flayer as a model.

The original adventure is a bit vague as to where these things come, but talks of aliens from "deepest intergalactic space".

I'm happy to keep them Aberrations for the time being.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This is a really great adaptation; I like it a lot! Especially since chanting should be like bardic music and allow other actions. I'm happy with the red text, and I vote to keep the Aberrations.

I vote for rend on these.

Ready to work on sense draining?

Cleon

Legend
This is a really great adaptation; I like it a lot! Especially since chanting should be like bardic music and allow other actions. I'm happy with the red text, and I vote to keep the Aberrations.

In that case.

Updating the Priest of Ythog-Nthlei Working Draft.

I vote for rend on these.

It's already got Rend listed, we just haven't settled on the damage yet.

The original text is "For every additional appendage that strikes a single target after the first, the priest will do 1-8 more points of damage, because he will then begin ripping his opponent apart." which suggests 1d8 damage for the Rend.

Is that enough? Most creatures with Rend have higher base damage dice with it than their claws. i.e. Dire Ape (1d6+6 claw 2d6+9 rend), Gray Render (1d6+6 claw 2d6+9 rend), Girallon (1d4+6 claw 2d4+9 rend).

That inclines me to give it a Rend damage of 2d8+7 - more base damage dice while keeping the eight-sider of the original.

I guess we'll just recycle the Girallon's version of Rend, since they have four arms too.

Rend (Ex): A priest of Ythog-Nthlei that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d8+7 points of damage.

Ready to work on sense draining?

Sure!

Are we calling it Sense Drain then?

The following is a literal interpretation of the ability.

Sense Drain (Su): Any living creature hit by a priest of Ythog-Nthlei's bite attack immediately loses the use of a single sense, determined by a d6 roll (1 = taste; 2 = smell; 3 = touch [victim unable to case somatic spells]; 4 = hearing [deafness]; 5 = sight [blindness, including darkvision]; 6 = any sense that does not fall under options 1-5, such as blindsight or ESP). If the roll result is a sense the target does not possess the bite has no special effect.

The target regains use of the sense 1d6 minutes after being drained if they succeed at a DC 20 Fortitude save. Otherwise, the sense drain is permanent. Casting remove curse and restoration upon a victim restores all drained senses to them. The save DC is Constitution-based.

I'm inclined to combine taste/smell into a single sense and make it five options:

Sense Drain (Su): Any living creature hit by a priest of Ythog-Nthlei's bite attack immediately loses the use of a single sense, determined by a d10 roll (1-2 = taste/smell; 3-4 = touch [victim unable to case somatic spells]; 5-6 = hearing [deafness]; 7-8 = sight [blindness, includes darkvision]; 9-10 = any sense that does not fall under options 1-5, such as blindsight or ESP). If the roll result is a sense the target does not possess the bite has no special effect.

The target regains use of the sense 1d6 minutes after being drained if they succeed at a DC 20 Fortitude save. Otherwise, the sense drain is permanent. Casting remove curse and restoration upon a victim restores all drained senses to them. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Cleon

Legend
For the next monster how about the troll hound if it hasn't been done already?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

The Trollhound is one of the conversions on my "Want List", mostly because it is the only monster in the "Those Terrible Trolls" Dragon's Bestiary of Dragon #199 that doesn't have a 3E conversion yet.

I'd be game for doing it once we've finished the Priest of Ythog-Nthlei, although we still have plenty of alternatives for conversion from Dragon Magazine.

freyar

2d8+7 rend for the priests works.

I like the Sense Drain ability as written and vote for option 2. :)

I think I'm happy with the red Madness ability. So are we then ready for spells?

Cleon

Legend
2d8+7 rend for the priests works.

I like the Sense Drain ability as written and vote for option 2. :)

I think I'm happy with the red Madness ability.

So are we then ready for spells?

Yup!

Shall we get the Domain spells out of the way first?

I fancy giving it the Domain-only spells of touch of madness (2nd level Madness), unholy blight (4th level Evil) and bolts of bedevilment (5th level Madness).

So maybe lesser confusion (1st level) and prayer (3rd level Community) for the other two?

freyar

Those domain spells sound good to me.

By the way, shouldn't it be "typical cleric spells prepared" rather than known?

Starting with the orisons, how about cure minor wounds x2, detect magic, guidance, read magic, resistance? I'm assuming they can cast inflict spells spontaneously.

Cleon

Legend
Those domain spells sound good to me.

Good! In that case:

By the way, shouldn't it be "typical cleric spells prepared" rather than known?

Yes it should. Must have copy-pasted the "Spells:" intro from a Sorcerer.

I suspect there may be other cases of that error in the CC. I guess I'd better run a search to check sometime…

Starting with the orisons, how about cure minor wounds x2, detect magic, guidance, read magic, resistance?

I'm game for that selection. Looks quite good.

I'm assuming they can cast inflict spells spontaneously.

I think spontaneous casting is an ability of the cleric class rather than cleric spellcasting.

If you want the Ythog-Nthlei to have spontaneous inflict spells I think it safer to include that ability among its "priest powers", with whatever other clerical-type abilities we fancy.

Remove ads