Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Fluffwise, the PFRPG banshee Int is the usual "undead don't remember past life" bit with the addition of a horrible betrayal at death shredding their sanity. Note that the "greater banshee" variant still has Int 16.

So for these, I'd be happy with Int 16, Cha 17.

Cleon

Legend
Fluffwise, the PFRPG banshee Int is the usual "undead don't remember past life" bit with the addition of a horrible betrayal at death shredding their sanity. Note that the "greater banshee" variant still has Int 16.

So for these, I'd be happy with Int 16, Cha 17.

Ditto.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. Shall we work on the song?

The standard version of her song sounds like calm emotions, while the attack version is a bit like holy smite.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, given we've increased her HD, can we boost the incorporeal touch, at least against undead?

For the song, let's not forget that there's the third, healing version, also.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure! In fact, should we make the touch deal positive energy, and thus heal the living? We can borrow some of the text from this...

Attack: Incorporeal touch +8 melee (1d6 plus 2d6 positive energy) or energy ray +8 ranged touch (1d8 positive energy)
Positive Energy Lash (Su): A xag-ya can make a ranged touch attack or hit with an incorporeal touch attack to infuse a target with positive energy. Undead foes (even incorporeal ones) take an additional 2d8+5 points of damage. The xag-ya can channel this positive energy into living creatures as well, healing up to 2d8+5 points of damage. The xag-ya can control its positive energy enough to avoid healing living foes (dealing only the base damage). This power can be used up to five times per day.

Essentially, the attack line would read...

Attack: Incorporeal touch +8 melee (1d6 plus xdx positive energy)

...and add to the Tactics...

"A cariad ysbryd's incorporeal touch attack infuses a target with positive energy. Undead foes (even incorporeal ones) take an additional xdx points of damage. The cariad ysbryd can channel this positive energy into living creatures as well, healing up to xdx points of damage. The cariad ysbryd can control its positive energy enough to avoid healing living foes (dealing only the base damage)."

Cleon

Legend
Attack: Incorporeal touch +8 melee (1d6 plus xdx positive energy)

...and add to the Tactics...

"A cariad ysbryd's incorporeal touch attack infuses a target with positive energy. Undead foes (even incorporeal ones) take an additional xdx points of damage. The cariad ysbryd can channel this positive energy into living creatures as well, healing up to xdx points of damage. The cariad ysbryd can control its positive energy enough to avoid healing living foes (dealing only the base damage)."

That'd suit me.

Of course it makes them an "unlimited healing monkey", so I'd be concerned about the PCs conscripting one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That'd suit me.

Of course it makes them an "unlimited healing monkey", so I'd be concerned about the PCs conscripting one.

I wouldn't worry too much. Plenty of other critters fill that same role, and none of them would probably follow a party for long.

Cleon

Legend
I wouldn't worry too much. Plenty of other critters fill that same role, and none of them would probably follow a party for long.

You know, now I want to stat up an Unlimited Healing Monkey. Maybe they work in symbiosis with some man-eating monster and feed off its scraps...

Anyhow, the cariad's positive energy touch looks good to me.

1d6 damage plus 1d6 positive energy?

Mortis

First Post
You know, now I want to stat up an Unlimited Healing Monkey. Maybe they work in symbiosis with some man-eating monster and feed off its scraps...
Or as a variant brass golem ;)

Anyhow, the cariad's positive energy touch looks good to me.

1d6 damage plus 1d6 positive energy?
To contribute something useful - yes! :)

Regards
Mortis

Remove ads