Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, she has a "continuous song" that calms and then

Her second weapon is a variation on her continuous song. Usable once per day, this special tune causes all evil creatures in a 30’ radius to suffer 3d6 hp damage from the frightening beauty of the song if they fail saving throws vs. death magic. The tonal changes of the song releases anyone currently becalmed by her normal song, but after this use of her voice to attack, her song returns to its normal form, and those within range must once again make saving throws against its calming power.

Unfortunately, the cariad ysbryd is loathe to use the harmful version of her song because it is linked to another of her abilities. Once per day, she can change the tone of her song so that, in addition to its calming properties, it combines the effects of remove fear, neutralize poison and heal spells on all within 30’. This power to heal or harm with her song is intimately connected; if she has used the power to harm that day, it cannot heal, and if she has used it to heal, it cannot harm. Under most circumstances, she will try to save her voice for its healing properties instead of squandering it on violence.

I suggest making the continuous song a "calming aura" that's a sonic (as well as mind-affecting compulsion) effect. Then give her a 1/day ability that either harms or heals as a standard action. If we want, we can argue that it "turns off" the continuous song for 1 around, but I don't much care either way.

Cleon

Legend
Fear the monkey! :p

I roughed out an outline for the Evil Monkey sitting on the train yesterday.

Now should I write it up...

The touch attack is good. On to the song? Or the deathless SQ?

The song!

I suggest making the continuous song a "calming aura" that's a sonic (as well as mind-affecting compulsion) effect. Then give her a 1/day ability that either harms or heals as a standard action. If we want, we can argue that it "turns off" the continuous song for 1 around, but I don't much care either way.

Something like:

Calming Song (Su): A cariad ysbryd constantly sings a calming melody as a free action. This song affects all creatures within X ft. of the cariad ysbryd like the calm emotions spell (DC Y Will save negates, effective CL equals the cariad ysbryd's Hit Dice). This special attack is a sonic, mind-affecting compulsion. The save DC is Charisma-based.

As for the harming/healing song, I'm thinking it should be especially potent against Banshees.

How's this:

Song of Power (Su): Once per day, as a standard action, a cariad ysbryd can sing a song of great power. She can sing one of two tunes, chosen at the time of singing.

Tune of Wrath: All Undead and creatures with the Evil subtype within 30 ft. of the cariad ysbryd take X damage (DC X Fort save for half damage). A banshee affected by a cariad ysbryd's tune of wrath takes 3d6 damage if it succeeds at the Fort save and is destroyed if it fails.

Tune of Balm: All living creatures within 30 ft. of the cariad ysbryd are affected as by a combination of the heal, remove fear and neutralize poison spells.

freyar

Looks pretty good. The original radius is 50 ft, which is an odd range in 3.X. We could change to the more common 60 ft or bump to 100 or 120 ft to go with the increased HD.

And I like the song of power, too.

freyar

Well, to finish up Song of Power, since the banshee takes 3d6 on a successful save, make that be the damage for generic undead on a failed save (3d6)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That might be a bit weak for its relative power, though. How about 6d6 (and we can boost the banshee to the same or higher)?

Remove ads