Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Post away! EDIT: actually, isn't status a good model for that ability?

Typical. Expecting me to do all the work. :(

;)

How's this:

Lifesense (Su): A cariad ysbryd can mystically sense every living or undead creature within her territory (an area up to X miles across). If strangers enter her territory she immediately senses it. If a living creature is wounded or damaged within her territory the cariad instantly senses it.

As a standard action a cariad ysbryd can link her lifesense to living or undead creatures within her territory, but no more than 1 creature per Hit Dice the cariad possesses. This allows her to monitor the direction and distance to the creature(s) and any conditions affecting them: unharmed, wounded, disabled, staggered, unconscious, dying, nauseated, panicked, stunned, poisoned, diseased, confused, or the like. A cariad ysbryd can stop lifesense-monitoring as a free action, otherwise the monitoring will continue until the monitored creature dies, leaves the cariad's territory, or the cariad ysbryd is destroyed.

Any effect that opposes divination spells, such as the nondetection spell, will also oppose a cariad ysbryd's lifesense. Lifesense can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Lifesense looks great! Updated.

I'd prefer the effects to continue for 1d6 months after contact stops.

I guess I can agree to all those suggestions. What do you think about changing to a bonus on Perform?

For the Poetic/Bardic Inspiration? It works for me.

+2 or +3?

freyar said:
freyar +3 is fine.

Are we rolling this into an ability, or just flavor text?

Humanoids, demihumans, and men who chose to live in cariad ysbryd-maintained areas could prosper as well. The ease of living in her presence for a week or more serves as a restorative to a man’s spirit. Under constant, willing exposure to a cariad ysbryd’s song, intelligent creatures heal from fatigue, wounds, and illnesses at twice their normal rate.

Does this look OK?

Restorative Spirit (Su): Good-aligned creatures who remain within a cariad ysbryd's territory (an area up to 5 miles across) for over a week heal as if long-term care were administered by the cariad ysbryd.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about this?

Restorative Spirit (Su): Good-aligned creatures who remain within a cariad ysbryd's territory (an area up to 5 miles across) for over a week heal as if long-term care were administered by the cariad ysbryd. Bards that spend more than a month within range of this ability gain a +3 bonus to Perform checks used in conjunction with Bardic Music for a length of time equal to the length of time they spent near the cariad ysbryd.

Cleon

Legend
How about this?

Restorative Spirit (Su): Good-aligned creatures who remain within a cariad ysbryd's territory (an area up to 5 miles across) for over a week heal as if long-term care were administered by the cariad ysbryd. Bards that spend more than a month within range of this ability gain a +3 bonus to Perform checks used in conjunction with Bardic Music for a length of time equal to the length of time they spent near the cariad ysbryd.

Looks good to me!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ditto.

Updated.

Skills: 6 at 16 ranks
MM2 banshee has ranks in Hide, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Search, Spot, and Tumble

Feats: 5
MM2 banshee has Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Critical (incorporeal touch), Improved Initiative, Iron Will (B), Mobility, Spring Attack

Cleon

Legend
Ditto.

Updated.

Skills: 6 at 16 ranks
MM2 banshee has ranks in Hide, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Search, Spot, and Tumble

Those would all these fellows as well, with the possible exception of Tumble. How about substituting that skill for Perform?

Maybe Heal as well, although the casiad's healing power has that pretty well covered it seems thematically appropriate.

A racial bonus to Heal and Perform checks?

Feats: 5
MM2 banshee has Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Critical (incorporeal touch), Improved Initiative, Iron Will (B), Mobility, Spring Attack

Cut out the attack feats and leave Alertness, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will (B), Mobility?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree with Cleon on the Skills and Feats, I think. To get some ranks for Heal, I'd maybe steal from Search (or drop Search altogether, as it doesn't seem too important for these). +8 racial bonus on both Heal and Perform?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That all sounds good, and yeah, let's drop Search entirely as it seems unnecessary here.

Updated.

Environment: Any? (Banshee has Any land and underground, but I see no reason why one couldn't arise from aquatic elves)

Challenge Rating: x

Treasure: x (Banshee has Double standard)

Advancement: 14–26 HD (Medium)?

Cariad ysbryd speak x. (A banshee speaks the languages that it knew in life.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases