Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Basically we exclude all vermin; for gaming purposes I think we can also exclude invertebrate animals and magical beasts (like the kraken). In-game I'd call them either "boneless" or "invertebrate", as long as the meaning is understood.

I wouldn't bother excluding invertebrates. If it can detect magnetic field so acutely it should also be able to detect electric fields too, so will be able to pick up the nerve-impulses of living creatures like an electric eel or duck-billed platypus can.

Besides, most of the invertebrates D&D players fight are giant ones that must be physiologically very different from regular-sized ones, so for all we know they may use iron-based blood (because they've been cross-bred by drow? :eek:)

Either that, or it's magic.;)

Basically, I'd just give it blindsight and note its blindsight also allows it to judge the type and weight of any metal it "sees".

e.g.

Metal Sense (Ex): A harrow's blindsight can precisely sense the weight, type and location of any metal within its 60 ft. range. It can even detect the traces of iron or copper in a living creature's blood. This metal sense can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good! Now that we're agreed on that, let's get back to work on this...

It feeds by absorbing the magnetic auras of dying creatures and by ingesting iron and steel directly into its central body.

Shade said:
The former sounds a lot like death knell, which adds temporary hit points and a +2 bonus to Strength. Perhaps we should have the metal consumption add something different? Maybe a short-term boost to natural armor and actual healing?

freyar said:
Good idea on death knell. Rather than actual healing, I could see a temporary boost to Con, and the temporary NA boost can work as well.

RavinRay said:
That conjures up visions of Magneto levitating the guard via the excess iron in his blood and then extracting it through his body, killing him. Imagine if this creature were capable of that.

Something like this?

"Metaldeath" (Su): A harrow can extract and feed upon the metals within a dying creature's body. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or die. This functions as a death knell spell, except rather than gaining temporary hit points, the harrow gains a +2 boost to Constitution (in addition to the usual +2 boost to Strength). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good! Now that we're agreed on that, let's get back to work on this...

"Metaldeath" (Su): A harrow can extract and feed upon the metals within a dying creature's body. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or die. This functions as a death knell spell, except rather than gaining temporary hit points, the harrow gains a +2 boost to Constitution (in addition to the usual +2 boost to Strength). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Well I still don't see any justification for it, but sure, why not, it gives it a little something extra.

Don't like "Metaldeath" much for a name. "Harrow the Dying"?

Oh, and better change those boosts to bonuses.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

We still need these...

It can attack twice per turn, once with its discs at all targets in a 10’-wide space for 3-12; if it misses, a second attack is allowed by the massive rear drive cylinder on the same targets for 4-16.

The attacks appear to be a Whirlwind Attack like 10 ft. radius circle with its buzz-discs and some kind of slam/crush with its rear cylinder.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases