Is the Redbox Rogue All Cocked Up?

Jools

First Post
Actually, I just asked Chatty DM (who has a press copy) and he rather kindly informed me that it does indeed include at will attack powers (something very much at odds with the preview article). Thats a bit of a shame.

Aegeri

First Post
Actually, I just asked Chatty DM (who has a press copy) and he rather kindly informed me that it does indeed include at will attack powers (something very much at odds with the preview article). Thats a bit of a shame.

So you mean essentials isn't actually out to completely destroy everything about DnD and does use a combination of making some classes different, while still using the old structure as well when appropriate?

Count me as shocked - shocked I tell you! - that essentials isn't actually changing everything and we are still seeing classes built like the old ones. To me it looks like they made the fighter the "basic" class to play and the others more standard. Really that's not a bad thing at all.

That's odd. There's one comment from the Ampersand preview I just noticed:

Got all that? Now, let’s take a look at the new rogue build—the thief. Note that I’m only showing a little bit of the 1st-level thief. For the complete class build, check out Heroes of the Fallen Lands when it debuts in September.

Bill Slavicsek didn't say: "check out the Essentials Red Box." Which may mean something or may not I suppose.

Does anyone know if the Red Box calls its Rogue a "Thief?"

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Red Box, from what I understand, doesn't actually give the entire class build, instead just a couple of levels, and not presented in a "standard" form as you build your character by running through the solo adventure.

Cheers!

Jools

First Post
So you mean essentials isn't actually out to completely destroy everything about DnD and does use a combination of making some classes different, while still using the old structure as well when appropriate?

Count me as shocked - shocked I tell you! - that essentials isn't actually changing everything and we are still seeing classes built like the old ones. To me it looks like they made the fighter the "basic" class to play and the others more standard. Really that's not a bad thing at all.

I don't think you really understand. The Redbox rogue appears to be an error, a rogue that is neither here nor there, neither essentials nor PHB1, with no where to go other than the first few levels presented in the box. To cut it short, the rogue in the Redbox appears to be a mistake.

I'd love for this to not be the case, and if anybody has any evidence to suggest this then please speak up - but so far it looks rather negative.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I don't think you really understand. The Redbox rogue appears to be an error, a rogue that is neither here nor there, neither essentials nor PHB1, with no where to go other than the first few levels presented in the box. To cut it short, the rogue in the Redbox appears to be a mistake.

I'd love for this to not be the case, and if anybody has any evidence to suggest this then please speak up - but so far it looks rather negative.

Yeah, the Essentials line isn't going to be as effective at grabbing new players if they start with the Red Box and then find that the mechanics are totally different and they have to rebuild their character from scratch. I thought they were supposed to flow seemlessly into one another.

pamenard

First Post
Yup,

Alex's Rogue has Deft Strike and Bump and Run as At-will attacks and 'Nimble Positioning and Acrobatic Manoeuvrer" as At-will Move actions.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases