Is the Redbox Rogue All Cocked Up? - Page 2

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Jools
    Actually, I just asked Chatty DM (who has a press copy) and he rather kindly informed me that it does indeed include at will attack powers (something very much at odds with the preview article). Thats a bit of a shame.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Aegeri
    Quote Originally Posted by Jools View Post
    Actually, I just asked Chatty DM (who has a press copy) and he rather kindly informed me that it does indeed include at will attack powers (something very much at odds with the preview article). Thats a bit of a shame.
    So you mean essentials isn't actually out to completely destroy everything about DnD and does use a combination of making some classes different, while still using the old structure as well when appropriate?

Count me as shocked - shocked I tell you! - that essentials isn't actually changing everything and we are still seeing classes built like the old ones. To me it looks like they made the fighter the "basic" class to play and the others more standard. Really that's not a bad thing at all.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Scholar & Brutalman
    That's odd. There's one comment from the Ampersand preview I just noticed:

Got all that? Now, lets take a look at the new rogue buildthe thief. Note that Im only showing a little bit of the 1st-level thief. For the complete class build, check out Heroes of the Fallen Lands when it debuts in September.
    Bill Slavicsek didn't say: "check out the Essentials Red Box." Which may mean something or may not I suppose.

Does anyone know if the Red Box calls its Rogue a "Thief?"

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    D&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    The Red Box, from what I understand, doesn't actually give the entire class build, instead just a couple of levels, and not presented in a "standard" form as you build your character by running through the solo adventure.

Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures | List and Reviews of 5E Adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Jools
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    So you mean essentials isn't actually out to completely destroy everything about DnD and does use a combination of making some classes different, while still using the old structure as well when appropriate?

Count me as shocked - shocked I tell you! - that essentials isn't actually changing everything and we are still seeing classes built like the old ones. To me it looks like they made the fighter the "basic" class to play and the others more standard. Really that's not a bad thing at all.
    I don't think you really understand. The Redbox rogue appears to be an error, a rogue that is neither here nor there, neither essentials nor PHB1, with no where to go other than the first few levels presented in the box. To cut it short, the rogue in the Redbox appears to be a mistake.

I'd love for this to not be the case, and if anybody has any evidence to suggest this then please speak up - but so far it looks rather negative.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore ppaladin123
    I don't think you really understand. The Redbox rogue appears to be an error, a rogue that is neither here nor there, neither essentials nor PHB1, with no where to go other than the first few levels presented in the box. To cut it short, the rogue in the Redbox appears to be a mistake.

I'd love for this to not be the case, and if anybody has any evidence to suggest this then please speak up - but so far it looks rather negative.

Yeah, the Essentials line isn't going to be as effective at grabbing new players if they start with the Red Box and then find that the mechanics are totally different and they have to rebuild their character from scratch. I thought they were supposed to flow seemlessly into one another.
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/276057-gods-dead-gods-dominions-list.html

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore davethegame
    My communities:

That review is here, btw: The New D&D Starter Red Box: A Chatty and Nico Review : Critical Hits
    Dave Chalker, Editor in Chief of Critical-Hits.com, Freelance Game Developer.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Jools
    Quote Originally Posted by davethegame View Post
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the comments you can see where I ask the question.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore pamenard
    My communities:

Yup,

Alex's Rogue has Deft Strike and Bump and Run as At-will attacks and 'Nimble Positioning and Acrobatic Manoeuvrer" as At-will Move actions.
    Last edited by pamenard; Wednesday, 25th August, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
    The Chatty DM
    Author of Musings of the Chatty DM
    Contributor to Open Game Table and From Here to There.
    Co-founder of the RPG Bloggers Network

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Jools
    Now that this has been released could somebody verify that this really is the case? Thanks.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast