Running a 1-on-1 Game.

Acanthus117

First Post
Hello! Acanthus117 here.

I've played a short-ish campaign of 4e and a dozen one-shot adventures, DM'd a pre-made quest or two, and decided that I would like to play it with my brother at home, who is very enthusiastic about all of it.

The problem is, he's the only one I can play with.

I've got the setting down, and the basic story line for the campaign, but I'm still worrying over one little detail.

Would it be feasible to make a character to fight alongside him, seeing as he said he'd like to not be totally alone?

(If you need to know, I have the three core books, PHBs 2&3, Arcane Power, Martial Power, Divine Power, Adventurer's Vault 1 and 2, Manual of the Planes, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and Player's Guide as well as the Eberron's Player's Guide.)

Tharian

First Post
It's totally feasible to create what would effectively be a DMPC to run alongside his character. You don't mention owning DMG2, but if you do, I'd also make sure you take the time to look over the Companion Character rules. It'd let you create a simplified PC type character (slightly different from an NPC created from the DMG) that your brother would be able to run as well. That'd get you up to 3 in the party right there.

Oh, and I suppose creating an NPC might not be a bad route to go as well. Something nice and simple. Just make sure to include healing surges and the like.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Acanthus117

First Post
Thanks! :)

I'll see if I can't get DMG2 from a friend.

If it's not too much to ask, what do you think I should make?

My brother's thinking of making a Minotaur Barbarian, and I was thinking about a Swordmage. If I can get that simplified PC thing, I'm thinking of a Warlord or another Leader.

I'm a total newbie, so feel free to correct me.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Warlord is a good choice since you can spam Commander's strike if you want, thereby having the actual player make almost all of the attacks. Shaman's can do this as well but they're healing kinda sucks in a group of two or three.

If going for 3 characters Warlord and any Defender work well. If you're keeping it simple and only providing the one companion, I'd definitely go Warlord for the above reasons. Barbarians are pretty resilient and you might consider a pseudo-leader like a Paladin for a more hardy healer.

jbear

First Post
You could also give him something really simple like a Grey Wolf 'Companion Character' which is basically 'Bite' and more damage vs Prone enemies.

Barbarians and wolves fit pretty well together.

I'd second warlord as the 'humanoid' companion. While you're at it, why not give him a little 'Tinkerbell-esque' fairy companion for a little magic?

I played a very very simplified version of 4e D&D with my 5 year old son, and he was totally fine playing with a shapechanging Druid (main character) who had two wolves and a healing magician Tinkerbell. He wasn't bothered at all.

True, we played a hyper-simplified version of the game ... but I imagine your bro isn't 5, so I'm sure he will be able to handle something similar. That way you can actually have pretty much totally normal encounters. You're going to have to do quite a bit of 'fiddling' running with just 1 and 1 companion.

Good luck!

Acanthus117

First Post
Hehe, I'll look into that.

He's changing to a Shifter Ranger, though.

(I don't have the foggiest, but I dislike the Shifter. and the Half-orc.)

Thanks!

Robtheman

First Post
Currently have a shifter longtooth ranger with a companion wolf.

It works as a controller by knocking prone or using a 3x3 psychic blast to knock out minions. It's also sporting an adequate stealth so the two of them can sneak about together.

See card:
Level 3 Wolf Companion

Mengu

First Post
I'd make the leader NPC either a halfling or gnome, or maybe even a kobold or goblin. Despite DMG2 advice for medium characters, I think smaller stature puts the focus more on the larger PC. Or it could even be an animal or spirit of some sort, maybe a mephit based on genasi. I'd definitely look at the DMG2 companion guidelines. It's much easier to make whatever you want that way.

I wouldn't get stuck on "Warlord" if you think say a goblin alchemist is more fun.You can stat out the companion however you like. A companion doesn't really need a defined class. Here is a quick example:

[sblock]Goblin Alchemist - Level 1 Leader
Small humanoid, goblin
Initiative +2; Senses Perception +1, low-light vision
HP 26; Bloodied 13; Healing surges 9
AC 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 16, Will 14
Speed 6
:bmelee: Short sword (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+8 vs AC; 1d6+4 damage, and one ally gains a +2 bonus to his next attack roll against the target.
:branged: Javelin (standard; at-will) * Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +7 vs AC; 1d6+4 damage
:area: Alchemist's Fire (standard; at-will) * Fire
Area burst 1 within 5; +5 vs Reflex; 1d6+4 damage
:ranged: Rust Oil (standard; encounter)
Ranged 5; +5 vs Reflex; 1d6+4 damage, target suffers -2 penalty to AC, and vulnerable 5 weapon, until the end of the goblin alchemist's next turn.
Healing Dust (minor; twice per encounter) * Healing
One target in close burst 5 may spend a healing surge.
Flame Blade (minor; daily) * Fire
One weapon touched deals 1d6 additional fire damage until the end of the encounter.
Goblin Tactics (immediate reaction when missed by an attack; encounter)
The goblin may shift 3 squares.
Alignment Good; Languages Common, Goblin
Skills Arcana +9, Heal +6, Stealth +4, Thievery +9
Str 10 (+0); Dex 15 (+2); Wis 13 (+1)
Con 14 (+2); Int 18 (+4); Cha 12 (+1)
Equipment Leather armor, short sword, 5 javelins, thieves' tools
[/sblock]

Remove ads