Dark Sun Themes --> Pokemon Themes

Camelot

Adventurer
I just got the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, and I love the way themes make a character's background more important mechanically, giving the player plenty of options to make a unique character.

I'm still working on my Pokemon 4e game, and I want to include a similar theme mechanic. However, the ideas that I come up with seem mundane to me. The best I can think of is a background for the Pokemon, before they were captured or received. So, maybe different themes depending on the location where they were captured, or plot aspects of their past? Instead of power sources, there are Pokemon types, so themes would have to be variable for multiple types (because a fire Pokemon with a grass theme would be weird). Any other (read better) ideas, or do you think that would work fine?

shamsael

First Post
If it were me, I would throw out the Pokedex and work with custom monsters (this largely happens in each iteration of the game anyway).

Race could correspond to the physical type of the creature: rat, humanoid, monkey, snake, dragon.
Class could correspond to the attitudes of the creature: The standard classes sort of fit, though instead of allowing trainers to choose powers as the creature levels up, you as the DM schedule which powers the creature gains as it levels.
Background: The creature's native environment, determining any special elemental affinities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases