Wretched Villainy

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Well since I left before we finished a similar conversation in this (Slavery, rape madness and war (Not the musical kind)) thread. Since I mostly DM, and I consider myself something of a connisseur of story rules in general, I have this emptiness in my heart that Rod Hilton's abridged movie script of xXx can no longer fill.

My general views follow listed in a random and incomplete fashion:
Heroes need villains.
The greatness of the hero is directly proportional to the skill and power of the vanquished villain.
Weak villains make for weaker, sometimes more human heroes.
Fighting villains requires, as Bruce Lee might say, "Emotional Content."
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.
There are a few types of villains.
*Fodder
*Minor unallied obsticles. (Apathetic people of means, side plots etc.)
*Minor allied obsticles (mini-bosses to be frank)
*Major opposed individuals (typically rivals or "bosses")
*And the Archvillains (the guys who at the very least have the plan)
*Forces of nature

Inspite of the fact that there is a rogues, gallery, anecdotal evidence would likely be quite enertaining, and informative.

Ultimately the question I'd like to see discussed if not answered is What makes a great villain? Why? And How to do it again, and better?

That's right, I'd like to witness the birth of a dark calculus primer. Vile math isn't for just for Barbie anymore.

Kai Lord

Hero
A truly great villain needs a prerequisite level of style and power, but ultimately the most important is that he win the attention of the heart of the player or audience on some visceral level. The key ingredient I believe is personalization.

One way to do this is to make the villain almost exactly like the player(s) with one striking difference (another side of the same coin). Or make the villain the polar opposite. Both are good ways to invoke an emotional investment from the players. And its all about the emotional investment.

The first villain will be respected and might frustrate the players because he's so close, yet so far, to being one of them. The second they'll just simply love to hate. Either way makes for compelling drama.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases