The Key to Victory

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
After winning the Battle at Harkon Manor are heroes find that they were lucky. The small force of Treylor so far from their homeland and supplies, their limited numbers, and no reinforcements, served to help the Harkon forces win the day.

But what would have happened had this been the true invasion force coming from Treylor? If this force would have had it's own wizards, and reinforcements to help bolster their lines. Those thoughts are scarry ones.

The Treylor are trained warriors and the elven empire across the mountains is said to be as vast as all the Five Kingdoms put together twice over.

Then how to stop them? How to win against such an enemy? What is the "Key to Victory"?

Here in this adventure are heroes will hopefully find out, and save a life in the process.

LINKS:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/258495-off-war-ic.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/talking-talk/280281-off-war-always-recruiting-occ-year-2-a.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/257898-rg-off-war.html

SUB-ADVENTURE:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/272541-battle-harkon-manor.html

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The men of Harkon have returned home. The battle with the Treylor had ended in victory, but not without a small cost. Five brave men died fulfilling their pledge to their lord. And after they are laid to rest, the villiagers returned to their homes and families happy that the worst is behind them.

Those not from Harkon, or the villiage of Wey itself find themselves with no home to go to, or family to rejoice with. So they make their way to the wayside tavern near the manor itself. Sitting together (as noone really wants to be alone on a day like this) they all quietly settle around a table and stay lost in their own thoughts until...

The innkeeper comes out, he had changed his shirt and donned an apron, but the look on his face says he was there he saw what everyone saw.

"Nothing like a battle to start the day, huh?" he says to the group. "But then it is back to life as normal, Ha,ha! What will you have?"

[sblock=OOC] Currently it is Elms, Darling, and Malaroc sitting around the table. I hope to introduce Cedric in the next 24 hours. [/sblock]

Scratched_back

First Post
"An ale for me, a large one, a honey-mead for the lady, and..." Elms hesitates, looking over the table at Malaroc "...and whatever my friend here would like, and please keep 'em coming.". As the innkeeper eyes Elms, no doubt attempting to assess his wealth from his attire and struggling, Elms produces a worn leather pouch from inside his jerkin and tosses it up and down in his hand once or twice, numerous coins clinking together. "Don't worry Barkeep, I'm good for it, and by the time I'm done drinking you'll be able to help yourself to the rest of this before you wake me up and kick me out.". The innkeeper smiles and nods and leaves the table to fetch the drinks.

"So darlin', you made quite an impression setting yourself down in the middle of a battle on a steed like that! What's your tale to tell? I'd tell my own, but I don't think I could beat an appearance like that."

The innkeeper returns with a tray of drinks. Elms reaches out eagerly with his right hand to collect his mug of ale and greedily gulps two mouthfuls immediately. As he lowers his mug to the table Elms catches the squint of the innkeeper scanning over the brand on the back of his hand. Quickly and self-consciously, Elms switches the mug to his left hand and slides his right hand under the table, feigning an itch in his leg. "Cheers Barkeep, and cheers everyone!" Elms says loudly, lifting his mug with his left hand, his eyes darting left and right to see if either of his companions had noticed.

Sugar_Silk

First Post
"It was such a marvelous beast! I must have been awestruck or Fallon would never have gotten me into the saddle. Who knew that old man could conjure such things?" She swallowed a few sips of the sweet brew before her and let a satisfied smile spread across her lips as the warmth of the spirits spread through her chest.

As she looked back to Elms to thank him for the refreshment, she noticed his eyes dart to the barkeep, and took note as he took his mug by his off hand.

Darling called a loud "Cheers!" as the rest of the patrons responded to the toast in kind, and her face let nothing slip as she happily touched glasses with her table-mates.

"I used to work in a tea-house." she began after the noise died down a little, "It was a lovely little place where people would meet and talk business, or just escape from their lives for the night. I used to sing there and help out however I could..." It was clear that the alcohol was beginning to take hold. Darling took another long sip and drained her mead completely. She felt very warm and safe after all of the cold and the dangerous events of the day. She seemed to forget that she'd been talking and went to rest her head adorably on the table like a child too sleepy for her supper.

[sblock=OOC]
Spot check for Elms' brand (1d20+1=20)
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=Spot] You saw it, now either a Know(religion) or Bardic knowledge check to see if you know what it is. [/sblock]

Lughart

First Post
A tall man walks past them, mumbling a "Cheers" in response, before exiting the tavern. He comes back in soon after, face dripping wet, looking completely panicked. The man looks frantically around the room, eyeing the soldiers filling the tables.

Then it looks as though a realization hits him, and his expression changes from fear to depression. He sinks down at a chair near the group, asks one of the barmaids for "Ale and a glass of the strongest spirits you have", and lets his head hit the table.

Sugar_Silk

First Post
Darling lay there comfortably for a few moments searching her mind for where she might have seen a brand like that, and why her new friend would be so focused on concealing it. "Something at the Lotus maybe?" She couldn't put her finger on it.

[sblock=OOC roll]
Bardic Knowledge check to ID the brand on Elms' hand (1d20+2=6)
[/sblock]

There was a ruffle of feathers as a pale man sat down nearby and the girl rolled her head to one side so she could see the raven flapping its wings to keep balance on the man's scruffy hat as he likewise put his head to one of the tavern's hard tables.

"What's got you down, stranger? Didn't you hear? The village is saved!" She shifted up in her seat and made a pillow with her arms to rest her chin on the back of her chair. "I like your bird, come and sit with us." Her head bobbed on her chin as she spoke and her lips pressed into a pout when she stopped.

Scratched_back

First Post
"A tea house? You went from working in a tea house to riding atop magical beasts and appearing on battlefields? I wouldn't expect most people to be able to hang on to that winged monster, I couldn'ta done it. You can't have got much practise riding anything in a tea-house..." Elms lifted his mug to his lips, still with his left hand, and took another large gulp of ale. As he did so, something clicked into place. This comely girl, her scant clothing, 'help out however I could' she had said, and Elms was sure as her words had trailed off there was more to tell about that. "...then again, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there was more riding going on at your tea house than I'd imagined.". Again Elms lifted his mug to his lips, more to clumsily conceal a huge grin this time than it was to quench his thirst. "I think I'd like to see your tea house one day, darlin'.".

Placing down his now empty mug, Elms yelled for a serving girl to fetch another ale and another mead for Darling. "I'll be needing a room for the night if you have one spare?" he asked as his drinks were delivered to the table. "Hey Darlin', do you have a place to stay tonight? Somewhere safe?". Elms looked toward his new companion to see her talking to a thin man on the table behind them, the same one that'd ordered spirits from the bar a minute or two earlier. "Why the glum look, mate? Like the girl said, tonight should be a celebration!".

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Taking his drink, Mal takes in the sweet taste of the non alcoholic brew. He had abstained from alcohol at his masters' request, if you could call it a request. Mal was quiet, knowing that his healing aura had saved many, yet still there were losses. Only five, yet that was still five of the men that would not be returning home to their families...[sblock=Flashback] Standing, Mal can still hear the sizzle of the wound, the fresh smell of his skin burning. Yet, it was a cold feeling, as he inspected the wounds, noting only the markings left behind. Spotting one of them near his upper right chest, the shape was unfamiliar, yet riddling his mind with images.

He remembered his parents, always there for him and yet allowing him to leave his comfortable life for one of adventure. Turning back to his new 'boss', he asks, "When will I be able to go home?"

"It will be many years before that thought will be discussed. There is much to do, and little time in your life to accomplish it in. For now, focus on your training, for it will make sure you will stay alive long enough to have a chance to see your family again, should they survive long enough."

His mood showed, as his thoughts were on his family, as his eyes showed his feelings. Something that he would learn to mask...[/sblock]

Spotting the man enter, he seems to recognize the concern and nods to Darlings invite. "I take it you are looking for someone?" he asks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases