The Key to Victory

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth's stomach turns as the source of the stench is revealed. He takes a moment to lose the feeling of queasiness before looking back over the edge. "You probably should, Mal. Climb down, that is... Unless one of you has more rope, the rest of us won't be able to reach the bottom without taking a little fall." He grimaces as the word 'fall' crosses his lips.

"You should probably take one of those make-shift torches, too. Unless any of you can provide more lasting light?" Jareth asks over his shoulder to the other spellcasters.

jackslate45

First Post
With a shake of her head, Ern speaks up. "I was never taught how to make light. However, I do have an idea.".

Taking a crossbow bolt, Ern rips part of her sleave off her shirt. She dips the cloth into the oil, and wraps it around the bolt's tip. Ernestine then aims the crossbow into the dark. "Someone needs to light the tip with fire, and I can shoot the bolt. It would generate some light at the least."

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Mal had been looking down the wall, considering things while the others talked. With only one rope, it was going to not be enough. Or perhaps it might be...

"Well, there is another option. It will probably hurt, but I could get you down, slowly. Tie the rope to my waist. Someone climbs down to the end of the rope, while I cling to the wall, climbing down as well. I will be the anchor, then climb back up for the next person. Might take a little time, but it should work. I should be able to support each of you, if you lighten your loads...."

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Aver seeing stealth is not needed - or at least not going to happen - shrugs and hurries back over to the group grimacing at the stench.

"Peeooh! Well I don't have a clue how to get down myself, not much of a climber. But there's a spell feather fall, anyone know it? Or how about that wall climbing thing you were doing, could you carry a little one like me?"

ghostcat

First Post
Moggins looks over the edge, watching curiously as Jareth directs the lights down the cliff. He cries in fright as he sees the rotting bodies and starts to run back down the tunnel, meowing at Trinham as he goes (
If your going down there I'm off. I'll meet you back down the tunnel.
) "Come back Moggins. It looks like the trip down the cliff will be one-way. So we won't be coming back this way. Your going to have to come down with me." Trinham calls after him and Moggins creeps back reluctantly, tail between his legs.

[sblock=OOC]Trinham did weight 218llbs plus 15lbs of armour. However, he has lost some weight with all the exercise over the last few weeks. I doubt it would be 50lbs (or 40 odd, if he removes his armour) though.

What do you think HM, how much weight could Trinham have reasonably lost since he joined up? I was thinking some where between 15-20lbs[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Mal begins tying the rope around his waist, as the others debate on who to go first and who goes last. He tests the knot, but then asks someone more proficient with the rope to make sure the knot will stay.

"Can someone test this knot? I don't want someone falling off the end of the rope as I climb down with them..."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Tira draws her bow and looks to Ernestine. "I shall try to cover everyone as best I can, alone. If I have to." she says to the foul air about.

"Whoever goes first will be down there alone for a little while. Who should go first?"

[sblock=OOC] The wall down is natural and if Mal ties the rope around his waist (taking 20) then he need only care each person down about 40 ft and then let them climb down the rest of the way using the rope. DC for that is 5 and you may take ten.

So here's what I would like to do. If everyone could give me a good post of their climbing experience as they descend. And what they do at the bottom (hide, search, ready action, etc.) Then we will be set for exploration of the cave on the first of March after XP. [/sblock]

[sblock=ghostcat]Well in game time I think we are pushing like 5 weeks but for a few of those Trinham did do a lot of marching/drilling. So you could say anywhere from 15-20 lbs. Short rations probably helped do it's part as well. No big meals on the go, lol.[/sblock]

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Aver moves forward and checks Mal's knot carefully, and then nods satisfied "Take me down Mal I can't hit anything in the ghoulies from up here, and if any trouble does show up I'm pretty adept and running away and hiding."

He hops onto the dragon shaman's back clinging tightly with every available limb and grinning at his new comrades confidently as they drop slowly over the edge. As soon as they are out of sight he clenches his eyes shut and keeps them closed for what seems a terribly long time...

When he finally feels Mal touch down on the ledge he swiftly disentangles himself breathing a sigh of relief, "Well that was about as fun as childbirth - I've made a lot of half elves in my time and human women tend to enjoy harping on about it. But thanks."

He then ties off the rope letting Mal recover from his efforts, but he takes great care doing so, securing it to several rocks for redundancy. "Right I'll go down and take a look about, keep them coming as quick as you can I don't fancy being alone for too long!"

With that he flashes a somewhat sickly grin before beginning a slow ascent, hand over hand, taking care to keep calm and avoid looking down. For a moment he begins to wonder if he has started descending into some unseen abyss, but then his feet find stone and he whirls around.

He spends a time scanning the cave anxiously, looking for potential hiding places, scattered dragon treasure, and most of all anything that might want to put an end to his long love affair with breathing.

[sblock=Use Rope]Taking 20 both times for a 24.[/sblock]

ghostcat

First Post
Looking down at his rotund figure, Trinham can't help but wonder if Mal can manage his weight. Even though the tribulations of the last few weeks have reduced some of his excess bodyweight, he his still heavy.

"Er Mal." Trinham says "I'm very well built. Are you sure can manage me? Perhaps if I remove my gear and armor." Trinham then starts divesting himself of his equipment and unbuckling his armour.

jackslate45

First Post
With a glare at Tira, Ern shoots back "Well, than I leave it in your more than hands missy" She starts to repack her crossbow, and waits for Mal to return from the depths.

She holds on tight to Mal's back and waist, as Mal slowly goes down. Only once did it feel that Ern might fall off, but she gripped tighter to the dragon shaman's waist. The smell finally started to get to her, and she holds her breath for as long as she could before needing to breathe.

Finally, Mal told her it was time to climb down. Carefully, slowly, Ern climbs down, and feels relief when her feet touch ground. With a small tug on the rope to let Mal known she was safe, Ern redraws her cross bow, and waits for the rest in silence.

Remove ads