The Key to Victory

ghostcat

First Post
Sitting around with nothing to do but eat and sleep used to be Trinham's idea of a good time. However, the time he has spent in the irregulars has somehow changed him and he quickly becomes bored. Apathetically ferreting about the common living room, he comes across a small pile of books. Unfortunately most of them are in elvish but there are a couple in the common tongue. Even better, one of them seems to be about the more obscure theories of sorcery. Although it is very heavy going, Trinham spends the best part of the wait trying to puzzle it out.

When the elven visitors arrive, Trinham has no idea how to act, so he simply follows Tira's lead. He also leaves all the talking to Jareth.

Meanwhile Moggins spends the nights hunting and the days sleeping; for him lazing around with nothing to do but eat and sleep is a good time.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The ambassador cringes as he hears the humans speaking elven.

"I think common would be for the best," Elder Tyion says looking at the ambassador. "But thank you."

He looks to the group and ponders Jareth's response. "How is it you know about Vester and the Ways of the Dead?" he asks then looks at Tira. "It was you then, wasn't it?"

"They came to save me." Tharivol says still protecting Tira. "They did not know, could not have known, that I didn't wish to be saved."

"Yes you were to be excuted and there was to no more half breeds in this world..." the ambassador starts to say but is interrupted by Aver.

"Gwaff! That's a laugh," the elf says lounging on a chair.

The ambassador looks to the elf questioningly but Aver says nothing else as he sits smiling at the ambassador. Ignoring Aver the elf continues.

"You have lied to me about how deeply you Nandirly have betrayed your people. You have lied, and not only is there probably more than these two half-breeds running loose, there is a non-elven Bon'Dradi standing before me speaking fluent elven. The purist will not stand for hearing this. They will redouble their efforts to purge these lands. To make sure that elven blood stays pure, that elven knowledge stays where it belongs. I'm sorry there is nothing I can do in light of this new evidence. The invasion will not, can not be halted because of this." he says with a wave of his hand towards the group. He turns making ready to leave.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth's eyes go from neutral-but-cautious to hard and cold before the ambassador finishes his first sentence. Looking first to the Elder, Jareth says "My sister guided us through the Ways, but she did not tell us their history. That came from another, one who knows the truth of them better than any elf alive, I'd wager."

Then Jareth turns his icy gaze to the ambassador. "I had wished we could discuss this civilly, Ambassador, rather than hurl insults and threats at one another. My hope in coming here was to save my friend and teacher, and perhaps show the elven people they need not hoard knowledge like a miser with his gold. This absurd posturing over a perceived insult, one caused by the emotions and actions of different people than the ones you seek to wipe out, is precisely that - absurd. I believe there is a far deeper root than what you have presented.

"I already said we went through the Ways of the Dead. Would it surprise you to know Vester's Reavers had returned to the green dragon's lair? They had something with them, something of Elven origin. Something, we were told, precisely of Treylor origin. Something for which you were willing to start a war. And it is also something we retrieved from them and would happily return to its rightful owners if such a thing were to avert a war.

"Of course, if our information is wrong, then there would be no need to return this item, as it would not avert war. And if the invasion cannot be stopped because people give in to their impulses and emotions, nor accept that others give in to theirs, then there is no need for Tharivol or Tira to be executed to avert said invasion.

"And Ambassador, I believe it should be obvious that any campaign against the Nandirly will go through human lands. Even now, the Five Kingdoms assemble their armies to meet you in battle, should it come to that. An expedition force was routed not two weeks ago at Harkon Manor by an assemblage of peasants in a field. Your invasion will be met with far more force than the simple conscripts and volunteers could manage and the losses for your people will be far more costly."

jackslate45

First Post
Ernestine also spoke up, her voice surprisingly calm "Ambassador, as my friend here has mentioned, we have come in peace. We have been cooperating with the guards, humbly waiting your arrival. The least you can do is here us out. Dismissing us is only showing how determined you are at keeping the war going. We are asking simply to be heard, in an effort to prevent the loss of life between all parties involved."

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham is not really built for standing around and his legs and back soon start to ache. However, he would sooner fall over in a dead faint than insult the elves by sitting when they are standing. Instead he stands at parade at-ease and suffers in silence.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"What is all this you are saying? Is Vester planning a return?" Elder Tyion asks shocked.

"Expedition force? Of Treylor soldiers? I know nothing of this, you li..." The ambassador says turning but can see in Jareth's demeanor he is not lying. "And how do you know of Vester's Reavers? I am unaware they have returned or stolen anything from the Treylor. Where is your proof?"

The ambassador stops composing himself. "I am sorry it is just that I truly wanted to avert the upcoming war. And from the senate I have not received word in a long time. So I may not be as up to date on events as I would wish to be. But my last missive stated that the war can be diverted if the half-elf Tharivol was put to death and all contact between humans and elves was halted. Even the human High King new this and said he would send forces to find the half-elf to also save everyone from needless bloodshed."

"But Tharivol is not the only half-elf in the world I..." Elder Tyion starts to say before Aver cuts him off.

"Not by a long shot, HA!" the elf quips.

"Are you saying bon'dradi that the reason given was not the true purpose of the Treylor's plan to invade us?" he asks after giving Aver a hard look. "And there is another key to stopping this war?"

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
"Yes. There is another key to helping to avoid this war. But Vester will soon know that we have taken that key from his Reavers. His own followers were slain, by our hands, for their treachery. You see, even though you may not like our kind, I have no qualms with you. I have even taken a vow to return this item to you, so that this war may yet be averted."

Mal looks to each of the men, before continuing. "The crown was coveted by Vester. He has enemies as well, one of whom is the one I serve. She knew of his actions and sent me, along with those that you see here, to right this wrong. We are attempting to do that, but have obviously met with your resistance. Bring your best mage, cast a spell that can only cause me to tell the truth, and you will hear for your own amusement the same story I tell now."

"Or we can all stop wasting precious time that Vester now holds and prepare to end this war and set our sights on Vester. He is the real threat, and will not take likely to our actions."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth pauses, gaze softening. "Then it would seem you were also led astray, Ambassador. A force of Treylor soldiers, numbering at least ten-score, if memory serves, went through human lands and were going to attempt an attack on Harkon Manor. It also appeared they were receiving aid from a group of humans... but that is neither here nor there for this conversation.

"As for our proof, you have the eyewitness accounts of my entire company. As my colleague suggested, you can place us under truth-magic. What we say will not change. We can also lead you to his lair in the mountain. And there is the matter of the crown itself, which we retrieved. If you want verification, I suggest you contact your Senate, Ambassador.

"And while you do that, I would greatly appreciate if you would make an inquiry on my behalf - the name of the person who ordered the execution of the human ambassador to your people, Lord Hugo Kyras."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Vester does hate the Nandirly enough to wish to start a war, but what are you saying he has done? What has he stolen that could do such a thing? Where is it now?" Elder Tyion asks the group.

"Lord Kyras," the ambassador mumbles. "I knew Lord Kyras he was a friend and we talked, argued really, long into the mornings before he was murdered. You remind me... wait. Wait!" he steps near Tharivol and Tira.

Tharivol stands before him as the ambassador eyes him up and down a moment. Then he looks at Tira and his eyes widen in shock. "You," he says to the male half-elf. "You are not Hugo's child!"

Raising an unsteady hand he points accusingly at Tira who looks more worried than ever before. "It is you! By the Great Tree! It is you." His voice goes quieter as if defeated. "What have you done here? What have you done?"

"Ambassador," Elder Tyion asks worriedly. "Are you all right? I don't understand. Believe me I am sorry for having led you astray about who Lord Kyras true child was but what -?"

"Don't you see? She can bear off-spring, she can breed more of them." He says in awed shock as if the repercussions of what he has said have already been felt miles away in the lands of the Treylor. "Should they find out..." he stops as if to speak more would bring about the truth getting out.

"But the crown is why the Treylor are coming, not me or Tharivol. The crown can stop the invasion, stop anyone else from dying," Tira says as Tharivol tries to hush her.

"People like my father," she looks to Jareth. "Our father."

"We found Vester's lair. Fought his Reavers. And we retrieved what they took from the Treylor. The dragon wants to kill all of the Nandirly, and it looks like he duped the Treylor into being his weapon," Aver pops in snidely.

"If that is true I ask again. Where is this item now?" Elder Tyion asks patiently.

"Where's our stuff?"
Aver asks in return.

[sblock=OOC] Sorry about my vagueness on who "they are" and what will happen should "they" find out. Having trouble digging up my notes. Think I wrote them a year or so ago - got to be around here somewhere. Chime in if you like. I will be giving a Treylor history/social and political seminar soon. :p [/sblock]

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
"Murdered!?" Jareth gasps, focus broken. The rest of the words barely register on him for a minute, his mind simply reeling at this revelation. I... I always thought... execution, political... Not murder. He staggers, clutching his head as he suddenly feels faint. Who then? Wait. Other things... the war. Those answers must wait.

The rest of the words recently exchanged rush in on him. He looks up, mumbling an apology for his sudden shock, then regains his composure. "The importance of my sister's specific heritage pales in comparison to the importance of the war and the crown. As Aver hinted, if you return us our belongings and equipment, we can return the crown Vester stole."

Remove ads