NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2d8
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: M (7’ tall)
MORALE: Average (8-10)
LEVEL/XP VALUE: 2,000

Tasked administrator genies serve in bureaucracies, both for other genies and for humans, acting as advisors, negotiators, and all-around bureaucrats, and they often act for their masters in day-to-day decision making.

Administrators are tall, noble, and pleasing to the eye. They prefer to dress in flowing silks that highlight their fine musculature, but they wear appropriate clothing for their duties. Their skin color is dark tan with a slight bluish cast.

These genies retain limited telepathy and can communicate with creatures of at least low intelligence. They can either fly or swim, depending on whether they were once djinn or marids. Administrators seldom use their special movement for transportation, preferring to save it for times of emergency.

Combat: An administrator genie can cast friends, tongues, and ESP, each three times per day. It can use suggestion once per day, and it has a permanent unseen servant. Spellcasting is performed as a 10th-level wizard.

Though administrators prefer not to enter combat themselves, they are adept at handling logistics, determinging where supplies come from and how to get them where they’re needed. If forced into melee, a tasked administrator is sure to have the one normal or magical item that will help the most, provided that item is one owned by the genie or may be found normally in its place of residence.

Habitat/Society: Administrator genies are very proud of their work, considering bureaucracy an honorable profession with many benefits. They serve in many capacities, from clerk to city manager, but they are almost always ambitious and try to rise to positions of power. They prefer behind-the-scenes power however, and try to stay out of the public eye.

A tasked administrator is often part of a family of like genies who sometimes serve together in especially large bureaucracies. Those administrator genies who work alone can always call on their other family members for favors, and there seems to be an extensive under-the-table trade between them. Rumors state that there are only two families of tasked administrators, one formerly djinn, the other formerly marids. Since they seem to know many other tasked administrators (and constantly refer to their cousin or brother or uncle who can help in a given situation), the rumors may be true. There seems to be a rivalry between the djinni and marid families.

Since most tasked administrators consider their duties a normal job, they expect to be well paid, and they make efforts to gather riches to pass on to their family. When they reach a level at which they feel they can retire, they often try to pass their jobs on to offspring, or at least other family members.

Administrators are quite skilled at their duties. As with any job, however, there is a period of training, and young tasked administrators may be inefficient or appear habitually frazzled. If given a chance, though, they almost always settle into a routine. Those who remain inefficient act as assistants to other tasked administrators or are assigned by the family to rulers who have somehow offended the family.

If tasked administrator genies are bound into servitude, they often become surly and obstinate. Though they follow their orders, they are slow to process paperwork, rude to outsiders, and lackadaisical in giving orders to lesser bureaucrats.

When a tasked administrator has attained an important position, it often demands fine quarters. Former djinn prefer open, airy quarters, while former marids like many fountains and pools. Administrators will also try to incorporate these elements into their place of work.

Ecology: Administrator genies can be great hindrances or great help to any bureaucracy. If treated well by the local ruler, they can make the bureaucracy a shining example of efficiency. If not, they can turn a city into a shamble of errors and problems.

Originally appeared in City of Delights (1993).

Cleon

Legend
Base the stats on a Jann I guess, due to the similarity of their size and Hit Dice.

Drop their mental stats a bit, maybe -2 across the board?

Either their Dex or NA ought to be lower too, since their AC is one worse than a Jann.

I wonder why they do 2d8 damage with their attack? Seems a lot for a bureaucrat.

Cleon

Legend
I've just realized I proposed the wrong Intelligence for them - their minds are Super-Genius, not Average. I'd misread the Morale for Intelligence for them (probably been reading too many 1E stat blocks recently).

I also changed my mind about reducing their Dex, since Djinn have very good Dexterity.

So, their Int and Cha certainly need a boost over a Jann.

How's this for a beginning:

Genie, Tasked, Administrator
Medium Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 6d8 (27 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), plus either fly 30 ft. (perfect) [Djinn] or swim 30 ft. [Marid]
Armor Class: 14 (+4 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d6+2) or weapon +8 ranged (xdx+x)
Full Attack: 2 slams +8 melee (1d6+2); or weapon +8 ranged (xdx+x) and smal +3 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Psi-like abilities, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Amphibious [Marid Administrators only], darkvision 60 ft., unseen assistant, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: 11 at 9
Feats: 3 plus Improved Initiative (B)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, family (2-5) [or bureau (6-15)?]
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: ? [Triple standard?, type E and G is a lot of loot!]
Alignment: Any lawful
Advancement: [By character class? 7-9 HD (M); 10-18 (L) doesn't feel right]
Level Adjustment: +5?

Psi-Like Abilities (Sp): 3/day---telempathic projection; 1/day---psionic suggestion (up to 5 targets). Manifester level 10th.
[telempathic projection is the closest SRD match to the friends spell, so I thought we might as well make the suggestion psionic as well since it's more effective (as it works on nonliving creatures and can affect multiple targets)]

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): 3/day---detect thoughts, tongues. Caster level 10th.
[It mainly uses tongues to allow another creature to join a conversation. Administrator genies won't need it for themselves if we give them the same 100 ft. telepathy as a Janni.]

Unseen Assistant (Su): An administrator genie is constantly attended by an invisible force that performs simple tasks at its command. This is identical to a permanent unseen servant spell. If it is destroyed, the administrator genie can recreate it with a standard action.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That's a great start, but I'd change a few things.

First, let's assume the djinn ancestry in the basic stat block, and note the marid changes in the underbar.

Should it be Native or Extraplanar? We've gone both ways with previous tasked genies. I'm leaning toward the latter due to the clear ancestry.

I'm not seeing any benefit of having unseen servant as its own ability. Won't having it as an at will SLA suffice?

Let's make the psionics part of a psionic variant, and keep the base administrator "fully core".

I think it should have change shape and plane shift like most genies.

Added to Homebrews assuming those changes.

Cleon

Legend
That's a great start, but I'd change a few things.

First, let's assume the djinn ancestry in the basic stat block, and note the marid changes in the underbar.

I assumed we would treat the Marid as a separate entry of some sort, but was trying to keep everything together for the outline.

Should it be Native or Extraplanar? We've gone both ways with previous tasked genies. I'm leaning toward the latter due to the clear ancestry.

I prefer Native, so they can't get banished from the office.B-)

I'm not seeing any benefit of having unseen servant as its own ability. Won't having it as an at will SLA suffice?

It seemed a better fit to a "permanent servant" that a simple SLA.

Using the supernatural version I proposed means it can't be dispelled and the genie only has one of them at a time. If we gave it unseen servant as an at-will SLA the administrator genie could cast it every round and have hundreds of them working away. (maximum number = 600 times caster level).

Let's make the psionics part of a psionic variant, and keep the base administrator "fully core".

I thought about that too. The easy option is swapping charm person for friends telempathic projection.

I think it should have change shape and plane shift like most genies.

Added to Homebrews assuming those changes.

I'd rather it didn't have Change Shape, since Djinn don't have that ability.

Plane Shift I could live with.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It seemed a better fit to a "permanent servant" that a simple SLA.

Using the supernatural version I proposed means it can't be dispelled and the genie only has one of them at a time. If we gave it unseen servant as an at-will SLA the administrator genie could cast it every round and have hundreds of them working away. (maximum number = 600 times caster level).

Ahh...you've convinced me. ;)

I thought about that too. The easy option is swapping charm person for friends telempathic projection.

Good call.

I'd rather it didn't have Change Shape, since Djinn don't have that ability.

Plane Shift I could live with.

Interesting...all the other major genies have it. Weird.

OK, we'll drop change shape and keep plane shift.

Now we need someone to break the Extraplanar vs. Native deadlock...

Cleon

Legend
Ahh...you've convinced me. ;)

Good call.

Interesting...all the other major genies have it. Weird.

OK, we'll drop change shape and keep plane shift.

Done.

Now we need someone to break the Extraplanar vs. Native deadlock...

Come back Freyar, all is forgiven! :p

While we're waiting for that shall we talk about skills and feats?

All the social skills would seem appropriate:

Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Sense Motive

The basic sense skills I suppose:

Listen, Spot

And use the other four for "bureaucrat" skills.

Decipher Script, Forgery, Knowledge skills - local?, geography? nobility and royalty?

How about Decipher Script and all three of those Knowledge skills?

Skills: Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot

Cleon

Legend
On second thoughts, I like Forgery.

How about either shuffle some skill points around or increase the Int to "full genius" 18 and adding that skill:

Skills: Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot

They should probably have racial bonuses in Bureaucrat skills.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases