Special Conversion Thread: Tasked Genies

Cleon

Legend
I think you've convinced me of CR 3.

Updated.

Finished?

It's got a few minor errors.

Something interfered with the spelling in "Messenger genies are skill in the use of poison, and employ a specialized toxin known as bardan ruqad to disable those who interefere in their tasks."

A gap is missing in "Poison (Ex): An opponent hit by a messenger genie's poisoned weapon must succeed on a DC 14Fortitude save or become paralyzed for 1d6+4 rounds."...

...and a colon is missing after the (Ex) in "Poison Use (Ex) Messenger genies are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade."

Finally, the "(for distance distortion)?" can be removed from the Spell-Like Abilities.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since I've already typed up the Miner, I choose that one. ;)

Genie, Tasked, Miner
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Diurnal
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: High
TREASURE: Q(×10)
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1-6
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 15
HIT DICE: 6
THAC0: 15
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3d6/3d6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Spells
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
SIZE: L (8’ tall)
MORALE: Elite (13)
LEVEL/XP VALUE: 1,400

Miner genies are a recent form of tasked genie employed by the dao, though they were created by the yakmen. Miner genies were once dao, but they have been compelled to work in mine shafts for so long that now they are hulking, driven creatures that live only to dig and carry stone.

Miner genies are as wide as they are tall; their height has been reduced so that they fit through narrow tunnels more easily. Their arms and legs are thick and powerful, and their hands end in digging claws so exaggerated that miner genies can no longer use their hands to eat; they must feed using their tiny snouts, like animals. Their heads are bullet-shaped, and they are entirely hairless.

Combat: Miner genies tear through stone steadily with their claws. In fact, their claws grow so quickly that if miner genies stop mining for more than a week the claws become ingrown, crippling the miner genie. They cannot use weapons.

Miner genies can cast detect metal or mineral, dig, faerie fire, and water breathing (for diving through flooded mine shafts) once per day. Like dao, they can assume a dusty gaseous form once per day, which they use to scout along cracks and seams in the rock. They can usually detect poisonous gases and unstable mine shafts (75%). No stone weapon can harm them.

Miner genies can collapse any mine shaft they have personally dug with a single blow, causing 6d10 (6-60) points of damage to anyone within the area of collapse who does not make a saving throw vs. death. The collapsing section can be up to 1,500 square feet. Those who make their saving throw suffer only 1-10 points of damage from rock shards and rebounding debris.they were not caught in the collapsed section. Miner genies are immune to the effects of these collapses.

Habitat/Society: Miner genies prefer dim light and dusty mines, where no genie or slave can see the dishonorable state to which they have been reduced. They are a universally grim, self-pitying lot, prone to fits of sudden rage. They are solitary throughout their entire lives; miner genies do not congregate for any reason and will fight to avoid each other’s company.

Miner genies never mate or bear children, because they do not want to bring others into the harsh servitude of the yakmen. However, their own lack of children makes them remarkably kind and gentle around the children of the dao, and they are occasionally allowed to serve as guardians for the illegitimate children of noble dao. These children are raised in the dim and despairing world of the miner genies until the dao parents think it is safe to declare their true parentage. A few of these children have been known to become miner genies themselves if left too long among the tasked genies.

Ecology: Miner genies eat stone, so just by living they mine out tunnels. They know that, individually, they are too weak to kill yakmen, but as they are not magically bound to serve the yakmen, there is always the chance that they might revolt and kill their masters. Although they know that the dao are helpless against the yakmen, the miners are irrationally angry that the dao do nothing to save them.

The yakmen consider the miner genies a great achievement, one that promotes efficiency and increases the wealth that they can offer to the Forgotten God. Miner genies are smaller and more manageable than the impudent dao, and some yakmen believe that all dao should be transformed into miner genies, so that they will always be servile. The dao might find the miner genies amusing if they had been formed from some slave race, but as their brothers, many feel that the miner genies are an abomination that should be done away with as soon as the yoke of the yakmen is lifted.

Originally appeared in Secret of the Lamp (1993).

Cleon

Legend
Since I've already typed up the Miner, I choose that one. ;)

Genie, Tasked, Miner

Modify a Dao I suppose.

Cut the Hit Dice to six.

Curious, Miner Genie are more intelligent than Dao are in 2nd edition. Don't fancy increasing their Int, but I'd reduce the Wisdom and Charisma.

Strength and Constitution either the same or slightly higher than a Dao. Maybe knock Dex down a step.

Add some more natural armour since their AC is 3 points better than a Dao.

3E Dao: 8HD, Str 22, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 15, NA +8, 1d8+9 slam

How about:

Miner Genie: 6HD, Str 22, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 11 or 13?, Wis 13, Cha 11, NA +12, 2d6+7 slam

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can't imagine these as Int 13, especially since dao are average. Just seems weird. So keep Int at 11, and the rest of the stats look right. Actually, these sound like they should have claw attacks, too, but they should have a slam since dao do.

Cleon

Legend
I can't imagine these as Int 13, especially since dao are average. Just seems weird. So keep Int at 11, and the rest of the stats look right. Actually, these sound like they should have claw attacks, too, but they should have a slam since dao do.

Yes, I prefer Int 11 as well.

I'd give them claws, since "their hands end in digging claws so exaggerated that miner genies can no longer use their hands to eat".

Let's flesh it out a bit:

Genie, Tasked, Miner
Large Outsider (Earth, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), burrow 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Claw +11 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Collapse mine, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., eat stone, plane shift, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: 8 at 9
Feats: 3, Improved Initiative(B)
Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary, company (2-4), or band (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 4?
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Large); 10-18 (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +6?

description and flavour text.

A miner genie is about 8 feet tall and weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Tasked miner genies speak Auran, Common, and Terran.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Miner genies tear through stone steadily with their claws.
Miner genies eat stone, so just by living they mine out tunnels.

I'd propose we borrow this...

Tunneling (Ex): A burrower can tunnel through solid stone at its burrow speed, leaving behind an intact tunnel.

Miner genies can cast detect metal or mineral, dig, faerie fire, and water breathing (for diving through flooded mine shafts) once per day. Like dao, they can assume a dusty gaseous form once per day, which they use to scout along cracks and seams in the rock. They can usually detect poisonous gases and unstable mine shafts (75%).

Didn't we do a "detect metal or mineral" type ability recently?

We have converted dig before, or we could just use move earth.

Detect poison at will for the "detect poisonous gases" bit?

Give 'em stonecunning?

No stone weapon can harm them.

Normal DR won't work here, but we could have an "immunity to stone weapons" SQ if it seems worthwhile.

Miner genies can collapse any mine shaft they have personally dug with a single blow, causing 6d10 (6-60) points of damage to anyone within the area of collapse who does not make a saving throw vs. death. The collapsing section can be up to 1,500 square feet. Those who make their saving throw suffer only 1-10 points of damage from rock shards and rebounding debris.they were not caught in the collapsed section. Miner genies are immune to the effects of these collapses.

Just cause a cave-in/collapse per the normal rules, or come up with something else?

Cleon

Legend
I'd propose we borrow this...

Tunneling (Ex): A burrower can tunnel through solid stone at its burrow speed, leaving behind an intact tunnel.

Good idea!

Didn't we do a "detect metal or mineral" type ability recently?

Probably, but their detection ability sounds more like a variant of a Dwarf's Stonecunning to me:

Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
How about:
Minercunning: This ability grants a miner genie a +4 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps or new construction. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. Minercunning also grants a +4 racial bonus on Search checks to notice valuable mineral deposits and geological hazards, such as veins of ore, unstable rocks, subterranean poison gas and so forth.

If a miner genie comes within 30 feet of unusual stonework, a geological hazard or a mineral deposit it can make a Search check to notice it as if it were actively searching. A miner genie can also use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can.

Miner genie can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
We have converted dig before, or we could just use move earth.

Either would do me, I'll leave it to you.

Detect poison at will for the "detect poisonous gases" bit?

I prefer my Minercunning SQ.

Give 'em stonecunning?

I think I've already answered that question!

Normal DR won't work here, but we could have an "immunity to stone weapons" SQ if it seems worthwhile.

I think so, although I'd prefer something less than complete immunity. Maybe somekind of "stone resistance X" that affects stone weapons and spells with the Earth descriptor?

Just cause a cave-in/collapse per the normal rules, or come up with something else?

The SRD cave-in does about two-thirds the damage (8d6 vs 6d10 is 21 vs 22 on average), but I think 8d6 is far more reasonable for a 6 Hit Dice monster.

Do we want to change the save DC so it is HD and stat based or leave it DC15 live the SRD?

It'll need an area and range. If we assume it's circular, 1500 square feet is 43.70 feet in diameter.

Call it 20 ft. radius, with a 30 ft. radius slide zone?

100 foot range?

Remove ads