Red Box Competition

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Try DnD

This is ageist and unfair!

Aside from the fact we all know that diaglo will win this, I feel this competition is unfairly directed towards ancient people. I started playing D&D when AD&D 2e had JUST been released. To have been a Red Box player, I would've had to have been born at least six years earlier. That would make me SUPER OLD!

And let's face it, what grognard Red Boxer is going to want to enter this competition? It should've been, "Write a 250 word essay on your very first D&D play experience!" Instead, they've limited it to a small sub-section, off in the back, that smell like wet Depends, of gamers who will just complain about how the box isn't "...the type of red we remember, which wasn't a colour, it was a WAY OF LIFE!"

So now us young, vibrant and exciting people who fill this hobby with love, appreciation, and our hard-earned money, that we earn, from jobs, that aren't pension-based, will miss out. We're being punished for supporting our beloved hobby!

It is disgusting. I am disgusted. As all young whipper-snappers should be!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sadly, (or maybe not), I never played with the original Red Box... I started with the Moldvay set before that. :)

Cheers!

Mr. Teapot

First Post
To have been a Red Box player, I would've had to have been born at least six years earlier.

Nonsense. The contest says "What are your fondest memories of playing with the original red box?" not "What are your fondest memories of playing with the original red box back in 1983?"

You could have purchased the Red Box off of eBay and started playing it last week, and write about that. Heck, such a story might be noticeably different from the pack of grognards and catch the attention of the judges better.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Try DnD

This is ageist and unfair!

It is disgusting. I am disgusted. As all young whipper-snappers should be!
Geeze, kid, don't get so upset, you'll spill your juice box or something. ;)

I'm not targetted by that promotion, either, because I'm too old, by the time the Red Box hit the shelf, I'd been playing AD&D for years.

In marketing you gotta target some kind of audience if you want to do well, and it makes a lot of sense to target a big audience in their peak earning years at a time in life when they're stupidly vulnerable to nostalgia. That's the Red Box kids, not those who started before '83 or those that started with 2e or later. Just ignore it and wait. It'll go away, and, in 2020, they'll be releasing something that looks suspiciously like the 2e PH just for you.

Remove ads