Neverwinter Game Preview

renau1g

First Post
Exploring the New Neverwinter - PC Preview at IGN

Wow... not good, not good at all IMO

""Much of the material is solo-able" WTF? 4e, which is the most focused edition on teamwork, and most of it is solo-able? That sucks large.

""We think these represent the core archetypes of the 4th edition rule set (Controller, Defender, Striker, Ranger Striker, Support). " WTF is Support? When did ranger become it's own role? I mean, I know they are usually the highest DPR'ers, but c'mon. (Now, this could be a poor job on IGN's part)

"We do want to create a robust editor that can give fans of the Neverwinter franchise all the controls they'd like to see," this is at least a good thing

Welverin

First Post
""We think these represent the core archetypes of the 4th edition rule set (Controller, Defender, Striker, Ranger Striker, Support). " WTF is Support? When did ranger become it's own role? I mean, I know they are usually the highest DPR'ers, but c'mon. (Now, this could be a poor job on IGN's part)

Think it could have been a typo, and should have been 'Ranged Striker?'

caudor

Adventurer
I don't mind the solo content at all. If my friends are over, I'd rather be playing real D&D.

This is something I can do on a rainy day and get my rpg fix.

Yeah that's likely the case, but ranged striker still isn't an archetype, any more than ranged leader is.
It is not a role, but it might make sense from a certain point of view to distinguish strikers that "strike" at range and those that focus on melee.

That said, I would prefer he used the established roles names, but then, it's an interview. In natural speech, you don't always use the correct words.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I prefer to play video games solo. That is the good thing I can say about it.

The rest seems very underwhelming. WoW to me is the pinnacle fantasy mmo. What can NEverwinter do that WoW cannot do.

The nomenclature of the roles might be closer to D&D but the roles are all possible in WoW.

Since the 4e rules are perfect for transfer to video games I cannot see this being a success using other rules (I am taking in consideration info from other articles.)

I foresee this as being the least memorable D&D game except maybe for the gold box Hillsfar.

renau1g

First Post
What can NEverwinter do that WoW cannot do.

Tell a great story. :p

re: solo - I guess I have a different interpretation of solo. Baldur's Gate II is solo-able, but you have a party, there are up to 6 PC's in it. Neverwinter Nights was a huge disappoint for me because you could only have two PC's. If you wanted to play a wizard it was very hard at first as you could have a fighter bodyguard, but then the traps smoked you and there was no way to heal.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Since the 4e rules are perfect for transfer to video games I cannot see this being a success using other rules (I am taking in consideration info from other articles.)

I don't know that I would agree with this. Most times, when a PnP RPG is transfered into video gameness, liberties must be taken. I thought d20 3E was a "perfect match" to make into a video game. But look at d20 Star Wars and KotOR. Even that was close, but wasn't 100% accurate in translation.

I can see 4e more as a Turn-based Strategy game than anything.

Remove ads